Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hi! My PowerBook 520c is functioning perfectly and has ~225 MB of disk space. How do I load a program onto multiple floppies on MacOS 8 (I can't fit the entire program on one floppy)? I have a TiBook with Mac OS X 10.4 using a USB floppy drive.
I can't use AppleTalk, my modem doesn't have one of those phone jack cables.
If there's no way to load it onto multiple floppies, how do I do that without floppies (No SCSI or ADB cables, though)?
Or is there no way to do this?

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
That's if the Titanium Powerbook is running some kind of compatible networking that the 520 can see. Otherwise ..

As for what can't fit on a floppy, what is it you've got that is too big for one disk? Use the disk as a vehicle, like multiple loads across town when moving. Put stuff on more than one, move it, and copy it all back to the same place when loading onto the 520.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
That's if the Titanium Powerbook is running some kind of compatible networking that the 520 can see. Otherwise ..

As for what can't fit on a floppy, what is it you've got that is too big for one disk? Use the disk as a vehicle, like multiple loads across town when moving. Put stuff on more than one, move it, and copy it all back to the same place when loading onto the 520.

Thanks... the problem is that I don't have DropSegment on either Mac, which means that I can't segment files on my TiBook, and I can't unsegment them on my 520c.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Do you have OS 9 loaded on the TiBook in addition to 10.4? If so, you can boot into OS 9 and use "Classic" Mac OS file sharing to have the two talk to each other with an AAUI adapter. Bonus: With the AAUI adapter, you can get the PowerBook on the Internet!

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Do you have OS 9 loaded on the TiBook in addition to 10.4? If so, you can boot into OS 9 and use "Classic" Mac OS file sharing to have the two talk to each other with an AAUI adapter. Bonus: With the AAUI adapter, you can get the PowerBook on the Internet!

Thanks. I think I might just get the AAUI adaptor anyways, even though I found a program, Compact Pro, that works great and it transferred files beautifully between my TiBook and 520c. I have a clamshell iBook with MacOS 9, so I have that to use. Thanks!

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
The USB Floppy drive I was using on my TiBook went bad. I'm going to buy the AAUI adaptor. The 520c is working nicely -- it's a great form factor, and it's perfect for simple text editing. I think I'm using it almost as much as my TiBook :eek:.

Attachments

• IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.