Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbodelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Hi all,

I'm waiting on delivery of a iPhone 5, and have just started worrying about the need for a nano sim for activation. Is it required by iTunes/iPhone/iOS 6?

The phone is an unlocked version, I don't have a US contract and can only get a pay as you go sim while I'm here in the US. what are my options.

I did consider getting a at&t nano sim off eBay in case it was required, and eventually activate it with a go phone number I have...

Otherwise I herd tmobile I heard are starting to sell nano sims...I heard speaking to customer service is the only way o get one sent to you...

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Ciao :)

Edit: An idea I had is to get an unactivated H2O wireless nanosim (they have good coverage here) as I can get one for 1$ shipped and cut down to a nano sim size, I'll just need to activate it if I want another US number..

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You need to put a SIM in the phone to activate it. It can be from any carrier though (as you have an unlocked phone) and it doesn't have to be "active" (it could be an old one that has expired or been cancelled).

AT&T does not officially allow you to use an iPhone on a prepaid plan, so T-Mobile may be a better bet.

turbodelta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Buy a regular Sim and cut it down yourself to size?

That's what happens when u live on the bleeding edge!

Just find a micro sim and cut it down to fit.

It just seems a bit silly to have to resort to DIY sim reduction with a phone that is worth a reasonable amount...:confused:

I'm surprised providers haven't got nano sims available for prepaid phones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.