Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Huawei Senior Vice President Yu Chengdong (yes, that is his real name) has confirmed the Huawei Ascend Mate — the one we told you about back in October – will be launching early next year with the aforementioned 6.1 inch 1080p full HD display, 2GB of RAM, a high capacity 4,000mAh batter, and 1.8GHz quad-core processor. All of this in a slim 9.9mm thin package (by comparison the Galaxy Note 2 comes in at 9.4mm). In order to get a better feel for the competition in terms of user experience, Chengdong has been using both the Mate and the Galaxy Note 2 as his daily drivers

http://phandroid.com/2012/12/06/huawei-ascend-mate-6-inch-1080p-display/

Oh man, this phone has my name on it. It's going to be so tempting if it goes on sale around here. We can be pretty sure that Samsung will have something similarly awe-strucking though. I can't wait to get one. An Android phone with a huge screen and a huge battery is perfect for me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Oh man, this phone has my name on it. It's going to be so tempting if it goes on sale around here. We can be pretty sure that Samsung will have something similarly awe-strucking though. I can't wait to get one. An Android phone with a huge screen and a huge battery is perfect for me.

I'm sorry but these specs are closer to the Nexus 7 than a HTC Butterfly/Verizon Droid DNA. It's not a phone or phablet, that a freakin' tablet and as long as you don't mind wearing a headset all of the time, then great. Hold that monster up to your ear and you just look foolish.

And please don't mistake this for a bash on Android or a rant from an Apple fanboy who thinks 4" (and previously 3.5', of course) is just perfect. If you like a bigger phone, great to each their own. I just think there's has to be an end point and personally think 6.1" is way past it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm sorry but these specs are closer to the Nexus 7 than a HTC Butterfly/Verizon Droid DNA. It's not a phone or phablet, that a freakin' tablet and as long as you don't mind wearing a headset all of the time, then great. Hold that monster up to your ear and you just look foolish.

I'm going to have to agree.

fSHAD

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
UAE

Future : Samsung Release Galaxy SX 10'' inch phone inspired by nature !!! :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Future : Samsung Release Galaxy SX 10'' inch phone inspired by nature !!! :p

Your post reminded me of a hilarious post made in this thread last month about rumored 8-core processors in future Samsung devices:

Stick with optimising Android to work properly on the phones currently out there rather than building a phone which has the potential to actually run it correctly.

If iOS6 will still work on an iPhone 3GS its not unreasonable to expect the latest Android flavour to work on the HTC Desire, except it won't.

I can see exactly where this trend is going.

Next year Samsung will release a phone with a 6" screen. Fans of Samsung will proclaim that 5" was far too small to do any real work on and that 6" is the perfect size and still fits in trenchcoat pockets so it's still a phone.

The iPhone 5S will look exactly the same as the 5, has faster internals, and perhaps an upgraded camera. Apple fans will go out in droves to buy the latest and greatest from Apple.

In five years time, however, Samsung will release a 32" Galaxy S17 with 64 cores. Fans of Samsung will buy in their droves, proclaiming that last years 24" model was far too small to do any real work and that 32" is the perfect size. It still fits through doors so it's still a phone.

This is the year that Apple announces the iPhone 7S. It's 9" tall and still the same width. Third party trouser manufacturers license the design from Apple to create trousers with pockets on the shins suitable for the 7S.

Google will continue to use LG as the Nexus manufacturer, and integrate Google Goggles with Android. Having long since run out of food terminologies, they moved on to Big Cats. Android 8.4 "Mountain Lion" is released. 8.4.5 is specifically for the Goggles, while 8.4.3 is for phones and 8.4.6 for tablets. The nation becomes awash with Geordi La Forge impersonators talking to themselves on the streets.

Nokia build the Lumia 1000 L and Lumia 1000 R. The L is for left handed people only, and the R is for right handed people. If people buy the wrong phone it is impossible to use or see.

Food is available on the Google Play store, but because it's still "unfiltered", the human race is being brought down with killer illnesses because the "food looked safe" and they ignored the popup telling them that the app was asking for permission to poison them upon first launch.

The App Store also sees changes. Food is available, but only Vegetarian options. This is because Apple's "no nudity" option disallows any.......

Sorry... what were we talking about again?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
At this point, its simply now a "my dk is bigger than yours" contest.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010

And please don't mistake this for a bash on Android or a rant from an Apple fanboy who thinks 4" (and previously 3.5', of course) is just perfect. If you like a bigger phone, great to each their own. I just think there's has to be an end point and personally think 6.1" is way past it.

I rarely make phone calls and if I do need to, I just use a bluetooth headset, earphones, or the speakerphone. Holding a phone up to one's head is quickly becoming less and less needed. Most of my communication is done my texting or some other text based medium. I use my Galaxy Note 2 as my primary web surfer, news reader, camera, GPS, and I often watch videos on it too. Using it as a phone is low on the list of things I do with it.

As I've said in a past thread about the Galaxy Note 2, I thought it could be bigger since its not actually that large once you've used it for a few weeks. What will most likely happen with the new 6+ inch Android phones is that the bezels will become smaller and we will actually approach true edge to edge screens. This will allow them to be about the same size as the current Galaxy Note 2 but with a 6+ inch screen within the current form factor. If you have a Galaxy Note 2, you can easily see how they could fit a 6+ inch screen on there without changing the over all size much.

I am hugely excited to see what Samsung brings to the table for the Galaxy Note 3 and there is a very good chance I will be buying it even though I just got my Galaxy Note 2.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
That's like the screen size of a Kindle eInk! :eek:

But it will be much smaller overall because Kindles have huge bezels. I would love it if the new Android phones have some type of HD color e-ink screens that can stay on forever though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I rarely make phone calls and if I do need to, I just use a bluetooth headset, earphones, or the speakerphone. Holding a phone up to one's head is quickly becoming less and less needed. Most of my communication is done my texting or some other text based medium. I use my Galaxy Note 2 as my primary web surfer, news reader, camera, GPS, and I often watch videos on it too. Using it as a phone is low on the list of things I do with it.

As I've said in a past thread about the Galaxy Note 2, I thought it could be bigger since its not actually that large once you've used it for a few weeks. What will most likely happen with the new 6+ inch Android phones is that the bezels will become smaller and we will actually approach true edge to edge screens. This will allow them to be about the same size as the current Galaxy Note 2 but with a 6+ inch screen within the current form factor. If you have a Galaxy Note 2, you can easily see how they could fit a 6+ inch screen on there without changing the over all size much.

I am hugely excited to see what Samsung brings to the table for the Galaxy Note 3 and there is a very good chance I will be buying it even though I just got my Galaxy Note 2.

Great--glad it hits your sweet spot. I personally (and most people I see everyday) still hold the phone to my ear most of the time and I find these bigger phones just too cumbersome--but again, too each their own.

If you don't actually make/receive many calls, why not go even a bit bigger, get a tablet and use a VOIP service/app or Google Voice (not sure if this one's even possible on a tablet)? Just curious because it sounds like a 7" tab would be the perfect size for your needs.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Great--glad it hits your sweet spot. I personally (and most people I see everyday) still hold the phone to my ear most of the time and I find these bigger phones just too cumbersome--but again, too each their own.

If you don't actually make/receive many calls, why not go even a bit bigger, get a tablet and use a VOIP service/app or Google Voice (not sure if this one's even possible on a tablet)? Just curious because it sounds like a 7" tab would be the perfect size for your needs.

A 7 inch tablet is too big, especially with the size of the bezels factored in. A 7 inch tablet with the huge bezels still has twice the surface area of a 6 inch phone so these devices are in way two different leagues. I like to still be able to pocket my phone and I have no problems doing that with the Note 2 but I have held the Nexus 7 and I know that thing is way larger than you would think when just comparing the linear screen size number.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
OMG when are the phone manufacturers going to draw a line regarding the screen size of the phone??

It's like reaching a point of no return. Whatever happened to the emphasis on the portability of a mobile phone? :confused:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Well said. You've just described the way that millions of people are currently using their smartphones. In addition, those who are health & safety aware, refrain from holding any mobile phone up to their head.

The first half of 2013 promises to be especially exciting, as the rumors are beginning to reveal Samsung's plans for the Galaxy S4. With an estimated April release date, plus big new features, they are really raising the bar. With LG & other manufacturers also poised with big plans, it will be refreshing to see the spotlight on Apples competition.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
OMG when are the phone manufacturers going to draw a line regarding the screen size of the phone??

It's like reaching a point of no return. Whatever happened to the emphasis on the portability of a mobile phone? :confused:

I think it will stop somewhere around 6 inches. Ultra portability in a modern smartphone is only one factor and is not an important factor for many people. There are dumb phones that are much more portable than any smartphone.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think it will stop somewhere around 6 inches. Ultra portability in a modern smartphone is only one factor and is not an important factor for many people. There are dumb phones that are much more portable than any smartphone.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it either. When the iPhone 5S and the Samsung Galaxy S4 comes out next year, I'm getting an iPhone 4S.

For me, portability is more important than specs and features since I'm not that kind of hardcore users who want the latest and the fastest. :cool:

mikegasol

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012

I stopped reading at Huawei haha. Have they ever made a good phone? Seems the ones in the USA have been awful.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
4.8" is already MASSIVE, so an extra 1.3" will just be completely unwieldy, awkward to pocket and to be frank, pointless. It's so close to the 7" tablets and not really any more portable that you might as well just get a tablet.

The thing about the Note 2 is that, whilst huge at 5.5", it's somewhere in between phones and 7" tablets.

It seems like manufacturers are now saying "Hey look at us!!" rather than actually coming up with practical products.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Although interesting, I think I'll stick with the company that's tested and true with a solid following.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

same usage here with roughly 4 hours of calls per month, which I manage with some headset...

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It's alright, nobody (except for second poster) will buy this and they'll realize their mistake.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Well said. You've just described the way that millions of people are currently using their smartphones.
I'm starting to have a change of heart, regarding "smaller is better" with phones.

It's not that our cell phones are getting bigger; it's that our computers are getting smaller.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.