Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbconfession

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I have a Bose speaker system connected to my iMac 27" via USB.

I've purchased a device that allows me to play my XBOX through my iMac 27" using it's mini display port.

It works but the XBOX's audio is coming through the iMac's on-board speakers instead of through the connected Bose speakers. All computer sounds still come through the Bose.

How can I separate the audio and redirect it so that it comes through the Bose speakers like everything else on the computer?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You should be able to change the output settings in System Preferences>Sound>Output...From the output screen choose the device BOSE from the list as your output device. If it doesn't appear in the list, check the manufacturers site for compatibility.

dbconfession

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2006
You should be able to change the output settings in System Preferences>Sound>Output...From the output screen choose the device BOSE from the list as your output device. If it doesn't appear in the list, check the manufacturers site for compatibility.

Sorry I didn't clarify that system preferences is not the issue. Sys. pref. is already set to use the Bose speakers as the output. And all audio that is initially generated on the computer does come through the Bose. It's only the XBOX audio that is coming through the iMac's on-board speakers. How do I tell the computer to take the signal and pass it through the Bose speakers just like I normally would as you suggested in system preferences?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Sorry I didn't clarify that system preferences is not the issue. Sys. pref. is already set to use the Bose speakers as the output. And all audio that is initially generated on the computer does come through the Bose. It's only the XBOX audio that is coming through the iMac's on-board speakers. How do I tell the computer to take the signal and pass it through the Bose speakers just like I normally would as you suggested in system preferences?

Is there a setting in the Xbox menu? You've done everything on the Mac...HDMI audio must have a menu in the Xbox's setup screen, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them..:)

dbconfession

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2006
As far as I can see the xbox audio menu is very limited. There's nothing about HDMI.

dbconfession

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I'm not buying any more hardware. I just paid $100 to NOT be able to hear audio on my $300 sound system.

There should already be a way to divert the signal.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
I'm not buying any more hardware. I just paid $100 to NOT be able to hear audio on my $300 sound system.

There should already be a way to divert the signal.

Plenty of internet articles on connecting to the Mac, OR the X-Box, but not both.....If it works the same way the ARC channel does on my AV system, then just maybe the cable is inferior or faulty? It;s strange that there are no specific articles on your issue though. Maybe Bose ( or Apple if you bought through them) can help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.