Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Aerial Photos of Apple's Oregon Data Center Site

Following up on its aerial tour of Apple's North Carolina data center earlier this year, Wired has again taken to the skies to get a glimpse of Apple's data center site in Prineville, Oregon.

While construction on the first of two 338,000 square-foot buildings planned for the site is just getting started, Apple's initial "tactical data center" is already in place.
Quote:
Apple finished this building earlier this year, but just south of it, you can see what will be the site of its much larger 338,000-square-foot data center. Apple wants to eventually build two of these monster data centers on the 160-acre site, but right now, there's no sign of the second facility.
Apple's tactical data center in Prineville
The photos also show the close proximity of Apple's project to Facebook's twin data centers. Facebook's first 330,000 square-foot data center opened last year, and the second one is nearing completion.

Apple has been working quickly to expand its data center capacity, opening its North Carolina data center last year and earlier this year announcing both the Oregon project and another one in Nevada as it seeks to support the rapidly growing needs of its digital stores and iCloud.

Article Link: Aerial Photos of Apple's Oregon Data Center Site
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

Good for Apple, and good for us.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Now, will this make Siri snappier.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #4
cderry
macrumors newbie

Is this on Hoth?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:53 AM   #5
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

seriously, who cares. just make the damn things work and provide an excellent user experience.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
seriously, who cares. just make the damn things work and provide an excellent user experience.
This is part of the strategy to 'make the damn things work'. If the structure of how they are doing that does not interest you that's cool. I am a longstanding geek who is very interested in how they plan on providing the services they promise. I also grew up in Oregon so this is doubly of interest to me.

So I care, that's who.
Daalseth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Shearwater
macrumors regular

How green was my Valley?....well, before Apple moved in....
Shearwater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

What's a 'tactical data centre'?
orbital~debris is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

Thought this was Area 51 for a second.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:06 AM   #10
needfx
macrumors 68020

just like the one I got in my back yard

the other back yard silly
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:10 AM   #11
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital~debris View Post
Wondering the same thing.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:49 AM   #12
testcard
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital~debris View Post
As opposed to a strategic data centre? Who knows?
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:50 PM   #13
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

What about the communications infrastructure?

What I think is missing in the public discussion of these sites is the communications infrastructure. A big bag of bits in Oregon or Nevada is not useful per se. They need to have very, very fat pipes effectively to everywhere (certainly everywhere Apple's customers are).

I used to work for a well known streaming content provider. They had a slightly different problem in that they had a relatively small collection of bits that they needed to make available to their customers. They used parallel scale - they would locate what amounted to a NAS at a number of nexuses around the country. When you went to fetch the content, you'd be directed to the topologically closest one.

So what does Apple do instead? I imagine a non-trivial percentage of their traffic at this point goes straight to the wireless providers (all of those app and music downloads, push notifications, FaceTime setup messages, etc). Do these data centers just have a big fiber link to Verizon and AT&T? To where else do they directly connect and how?
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Mhkobe
macrumors regular

Open Compute

They took Facebook's advice and started building in Oregon, here's to hoping they'll do it again and use the Open Compute Project (and contribute?).
Mhkobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:17 PM   #15
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer View Post
What I think is missing in the public discussion of these sites is the communications infrastructure. A big bag of bits in Oregon or Nevada is not useful per se. They need to have very, very fat pipes effectively to everywhere (certainly everywhere Apple's customers are).
You didn't make notice of Facebook's data center being in the above picture also. That's one reason why Apple plopped another one down "across the street". There already is major redundant cable going through the area.

Likely same issue for the Nevada site. There are a couple of higher profile CA based companies that put back-up/expansion sites out near Reno ( just couple hour drive up I-80 from SF Bay Area ).

Quote:
They used parallel scale - they would locate what amounted to a NAS at a number of nexuses around the country. When you went to fetch the content, you'd be directed to the topologically closest one.
For relatively static contact that works fine. Apple outsources that for purely static stuff.

Quote:
So what does Apple do instead? I imagine a non-trivial percentage of their traffic at this point goes straight to the wireless providers (all of those app and music downloads, push notifications, FaceTime setup messages, etc).
Push notification probably not. In order to route that you need personal account information. If the push notification is going to the Mac and iPhone it is not particularly likely they are both on the same cell service backbone.
Likewise for Facetime set-up.

Music is static data. There is nothing unique about which different users having access to the same song. Apple could replicate their whole catalog at different ISP's and cell backhaul network centers. (or outsource it). The locations are dynamic but shipping a customized URI to the data isn't a major bandwidth problem. It is the actual content that chokes the pipes.

Quote:
Do these data centers just have a big fiber link to Verizon and AT&T? To where else do they directly connect and how?
These data centers serve users worldwide. You're thinking too small. It is the major Internet backbone vendors Apple needs connectivity to. It is short hop connectivity to Tier 1 Internet backbone providers that is important.

For Oregon is more likely that Century Link ( Qwest) is the larger major "pipe" running through that area. There are portions of Verizon and AT&T that are tier 1 providers but they aren't the only (or biggest in Verizon's case) ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_...ier_1_networks

In fact you actually would not want all of these data centers on the same Internet backbone provider. Ideally would have a different pair coming into each center.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Very telling that Apple has chosen to build these critical pieces of its infrastructure in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada.

That is, OUSIDE of California.

I'll reckon that the new hardware assembly facility is not going to be in California, either. It may even be located in a right-to-work state.

Of course, the new headquarters is going up in CA, but I sense that at some point Apple is going to discreetly move its "official" headquarters out of CA, too. The spaceship will still be there, but the actual "seat of the corporation" will have been moved to a state with a more favorable business climate than it's in now....
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:49 PM   #17
Shearwater
macrumors regular

If they have used Apple Maps this may not even be Oregon!!...
Shearwater is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:08 PM   #18
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
Very telling that Apple has chosen to build these critical pieces of its infrastructure in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada.

That is, OUSIDE of California.

I'll reckon that the new hardware assembly facility is not going to be in California, either. It may even be located in a right-to-work state.
You do realize that California *is* a right-to-work state, don't you?
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:53 AM   #19
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer View Post
You do realize that California *is* a right-to-work state, don't you?
Not according to a search for "right to work california".

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion