Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I don't know if this is a bug of the new version or not, but what I notice is that extremely short songs don't seem to have their metadata changed.

I'm running the latest version of iTunes on ML, and I have a Smart Playlist with one condition: play count is zero. Basically, after a song plays completely, it disappears. But not with two tracks - one which is 5 seconds long and the other 9 seconds. These two songs' play counts don't change to 1 (or however many times I played them). Other regular-length songs don't seem affected.

Has anyone else run into this?

elf12

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, I've got this problem too... I have 3 tracks in my library under 10 seconds, none of them update "play count" and "last played" when played... All tracks over 10 seconds seem to work fine, EXCEPT one track of about 20 seconds, so I assume it's some kind of bug... Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next release.

Similar complaints here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554632?start=0&tstart=0

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
This is definitely an OS X iTunes issue, as those short songs disappear from the smart Playlist on my iPhone.

And then it disappears from the smart playlist on OS X. Talk about a roundabout way.

SimonCooper

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Easy Fix

I have the problem too on both Windows 7 iTunes and OS x iTunes.

I have the same type of playlist that is set up to play a random selection of music I've not played on iTunes before.

An easy solution is to add another rule to the smart playlist - Time > 0:20

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I used to have problems like these, concerning metadata information to iTunes (like no matter if I changed the info artist, title etc the changes were ignored). The problem solved when I selected those mp3 songs within iTunes, and converted them to the latest mp3-tag version.

Haven't tried any short mp3 though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.