[All iPads] My daughter is my star! Help me decide how best to reward her. - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
kolakube
macrumors newbie

My daughter is my star! Help me decide how best to reward her.

Hi,

My 5 year old daughter has done superb at school. I do things a little different in my house. I dont just dish out presents for nothing. I illustrate 3 options. One small present for poor effort, then one for medium effort and a top prize for best effort. With the glowing 98% mark she got in the effort coloum of here teachers report im blow away and so proud of her. I simply must reward this as promised and then some!

(Note effort not grades. Not everyone can be a straight A's student. My only concern is she has an incentive to try her hardest and realizes early on that things don't grow on trees for many of us.)

So, time for skint daddy to stump up for an iPad Im not wealthy by any stretch of the mile. But will gladly sell the shirt of my back to reward her.

So, im not that good at this technology stuff but know enough to get by.

Options seem to be iPad 2 vs iPad mini as they cost a similar amount. My daughter is 5, shes gonna be watching stuff like Kung fu panda and other DVDs she already has and playing app store games mostly. She wont have Email but facetime is essential. The iPad will never leave our house.
Can anyone advise me between the two?

I have a load of xvid backups of my DVD collection and my daughters children DVDs too on my PC. Will I be able to stream them across to here iPad? I understand the iPads dont use Xvid and you have to do a conversion. But then with that comes the space to house all of this and the price between a 16 gig and a 64 gig is double. Id much rather get the 16 gig and stream over from my PCs hard drive.

Any help greatly appreciated.
kolakube is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
wrkactjob
Banned

A pony.
wrkactjob is offline   34
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
kolakube
macrumors newbie

wow thanks so much.

Anyone else?
kolakube is offline   1
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I think your daughter said that she wants you to send me a new iPad 4.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
NavySEAL6
macrumors regular

A 5 year old girl? I'm not a big proponent of the iPad Mini but it sounds like the perfection situation to get one of those. It will do everything you want it to, and she wont miss the retina screen and won't be playing graphics intensive FPS games. I also think the Mini would be easier for a 5 year old to wield. Thats my vote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

You can convert all your xvid to mp4 format and use home sharing.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I'm not sure an option exists to stream that format to the iPad. Not on an un-jailbroken iPad anyways.
Binarymix is offline   1
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
kolakube
macrumors newbie

Binary mix,

So if I convert them on my PC I can stream them direct to her iPad as long as there in the formats you suggest?

----------

Thanks Flight and Navyseal
kolakube is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakube View Post
Binary mix,

So if I convert them on my PC I can stream them direct to her iPad as long as there in the formats you suggest?

----------

Thanks Flight and Navyseal
As long as you put your converted videos into iTunes, and setup home sharing, yes.

AirVideo may work, but there might be latency when it's converting on the fly? And that app costs money.

iTunes also keeps track of where you left off on the video.
Binarymix is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:57 AM   #9
flight
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
Not what you wanted to hear, but I'm not sure an option exists to stream that format to the iPad. Not on an un-jailbroken iPad anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakube View Post
Binary mix,

No need to convert with Air Video.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
flight
macrumors regular

Air Video can be used to stream videos to the iPad. As for the size, the mini seems like the better option here due to weight. Alternatively, pony is a good backup plan as previously mentioned.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
dfine1966
macrumors regular

I think a 32gb iPad mini would be a good reward, as long a you use a good case. Remember a child's hands are small, and a mini is a better fit. Plus, with all the children's application that are available IOS is a good choice. You don't need 64 GB, 32 GB is enough for what you want to use it for. My daughter loves her mini. We have an iPad 3, but my daughter prefers the mini,easier to handle. She is 12 and paid for the mini out of money she saved from past birthdays and holidays. Good luck.
dfine1966 is offline   2
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:00 AM   #12
kolakube
macrumors newbie

Quote:
She is 12 and paid for the mini out of money she saved from past birthdays and holidays.
Dfine - Hi mate. Thats superb! I hope my daughter will appreciate money like that when she gets used to it.

I see my role as equipping her to make good decisions by herself. Not to decide for her. Sounds like your already there. Great stuff!

Ok, iPad Mini it is. Thanks guys.

Will this article / app do for the file transfer or is there better
http://www.ipadforums.net/pavtube-so...-ipad-3-a.html

As for the guys who keep mentioning a pony. Seriously!! Do you even have kids?? Do you know how much cleaning up "I" would have to do twice daily.

Jeez, a rabbit is bad enough! You want me to get a pony too.

kolakube is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

New iPod? Perfect for a child's hands. Plus the tote accessory will be great for going places. Kids have a tendency to just sit something down and forget it.
Vetvito is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:57 AM   #14
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
Nexus 7.
I agree.
SeanR1 is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

I think this is a horrible idea.

I'm 16, and I'll admit I'm spoiled. It all started out with things like this. It started out with small rewards for doing well in school. Then that turned into a gameboy color, into a gameboy advance, into a gameboy advance SP, into a nintendo DS, then into an iPod nano, into an iPod video, into an iPod touch, into a MacBook, into a MacBook Pro, into an iPhone, into an iPhone 3GS, into an iPhone 5. You're just digging yourself into a hole and you'll end up with a daughter that will want every goddamn thing in the world.

My parents were against me getting an iPhone, saying that "if I got one now, there's nothing left to want in the future." I think they were right.

And for god's sake, she's 5. What does she need an iPad for? Get her a doll as the high tier reward and a sticker as the low tier reward. You've screwed up the scale. Especially since you lost your job, you need to get a hold on your financial situation for now and the future.

I know a bunch of girls my age who started out like your daughter with parents like you. Nobody likes them, because if they don't get their way, they WILL do everything they can to get it. This translates to objects, friends, and even sex.

I am smart, I have a 3.8 GPA and excel in the sciences. If you're willing to sacrifice her attitude for success, then so be it. I can't make you do anything, but just understand that when you start threads like these online, you are attracting criticism. If you didn't want criticism, then you should not have started this thread.

Just my 2 cents.
AlphaDogg is offline   20
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:11 AM   #16
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Get her a doll as the high tier reward and a sticker as the low tier reward. You've screwed up the scale.
Dead on. Kudos kid.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:59 AM   #17
RussellJones
macrumors member

Quote:

I'm 16, and I'll admit I'm spoiled. It all started out with things like this. It started out with small rewards for doing well in school. Then that turned into a gameboy color, into a gameboy advance, into a gameboy advance SP, into a nintendo DS, then into an iPod nano, into an iPod video, into an iPod touch, into a MacBook, into a MacBook Pro, into an iPhone, into an iPhone 3GS, into an iPhone 5. You're just digging yourself into a hole and you'll end up with a daughter that will want every goddamn thing in the world.

My parents were against me getting an iPhone, saying that "if I got one now, there's nothing left to want in the future." I think they were right.

And for god's sake, she's 5. What does she need an iPad for? Get her a doll as the high tier reward and a sticker as the low tier reward. You've screwed up the scale. Especially since you lost your job, you need to get a hold on your financial situation for now and the future.

I know a bunch of girls my age who started out like your daughter with parents like you. Nobody likes them, because if they don't get their way, they WILL do everything they can to get it. This translates to objects, friends, and even sex.

I am smart, I have a 3.8 GPA and excel in the sciences. If you're willing to sacrifice her attitude for success, then so be it. I can't make you do anything, but just understand that when you start threads like these online, you are attracting criticism. If you didn't want criticism, then you should not have started this thread.

Just my 2 cents.
So just because he buys his 5 year old daughter an iPad for doing well in school, she is going to turn into a slag. Ok then. In all fairness you may be smart, but at 16 you have no life experience. You say girls your your age who started out his daughter with parents like him, how do you even know that, if you didn't like them, you probably didn't know them well enough to know what they got when they were 5 or how there parents rewarded them.

Will people stop telling the OP how raise his children, I think that most parents would agree they would rather their children have nice things and sacrifice there own luxuries to reward their children.

Also whoever said he is going to starve and have to pawn the ipad, not true, Britain has a social welfare system.

Also +1 for iPad mini, would work much better with smaller hands
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:04 AM   #18
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellJones View Post
So just because he buys his 5 year old daughter an iPad for doing well in school, she is going to turn into a slag. Ok then. In all fairness you may be smart, but at 16 you have no life experience. You say girls your your age who started out his daughter with parents like him, how do you even know that, if you didn't like them, you probably didn't know them well enough to know what they got when they were 5 or how there parents rewarded them.

Will people stop telling the OP how raise his children, I think that most parents would agree they would rather their children have nice things and not sacrifice there own luxuries to reward their children.

Also whoever said he is going to starve and have to pawn the ipad, not true, Britain has a social welfare system.

I have known these girls since preschool (3 years old). If you spend enough time around people, you will get to know them regardless of if you like them or not. I'm not telling the OP how to raise his children, I just wanted to warn him of the repercussions of his parenting style.

Sure, parents should sacrifice their luxuries for their children, but within reason. Children are smart, if they see that you are sacrificing something for them a lot, they will not hesitate to take advantage of that.

That said, I also do know a couple kids who were raised in a wealthy environment, but because their parents could say no when they were young, they are the most down-to-earth people I've ever met. This is still true even though today they have cars that their parents pay for (including insurance) and have very high end MacBook Pros and iPhone 5's.

Anyone else think this belongs in PRSI?

Last edited by AlphaDogg; Dec 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
AlphaDogg is offline   2
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:56 PM   #19
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellJones View Post

Will people stop telling the OP how raise his children, I think that most parents would agree they would rather their children have nice things and sacrifice there own luxuries to reward their children.

Totally agree but for the age of 5? I'd say 8 at least in my opinion

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brradley View Post
Mental. If I did anything good when I was younger I would get a Pokemon sticker, not an iPod, and that was only a few years ago! What is she going to expect the time she does well in high school
A car.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Why do you reward a poor effort?
I think there should be no reward for poor, otherwise they'll think, that they deserve something for " poor effort"
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:40 PM   #20
token787
macrumors regular

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
^^THIS is well said. I spoiled my daughter and I'm living to regret it now. This here is so true!!!!
token787 is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:49 PM   #21
Xanderstone12
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by token787 View Post
^^THIS is well said. I spoiled my daughter and I'm living to regret it now. This here is so true!!!!
I absolutely can't stand seeing people spoil their kids with stuff. Reward her good behavior with memories. Take her somewhere awesome for good behavior. The memories will last longer than a iPad.
Xanderstone12 is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 PM   #22
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanderstone12 View Post
I absolutely can't stand seeing people spoil their kids with stuff. Reward her good behavior with memories. Take her somewhere awesome for good behavior. The memories will last longer than a iPad.
This is good advice.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:04 AM   #23
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

I'd go with 16 gig. That will easily hold 20 hours of video at a reasonable quality with rom to spare. You can put on her favorites and switch out others as she watches them. A mini may not only be easier to hold but lighter as well.
jlc1978 is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #24
swabbie568
macrumors newbie

Kolakube,

Definitely an iPad mini, extremely light and the size is perfect for a small child.

I differ from some of the rest here, I see you exposing your child early to technology that will impact her as she grows, so you got her ahead of the game, good going
swabbie568 is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Fireball926
macrumors newbie

I'd say go for the mini. 16gb should suffice. The movies on it will not be hd due to the screen so they won't hog tons and tons of space. Grab and otterbox and a ghost armor screen protecter and you should be god to go.

I do however have one suggestion.. You really should revise this whole reward system a little bit when she is older. A good idea would probably be to replace the gifts with money instead. Getting money instead when she's a bit older will help your kid learn the true value of a dollar, heck it made me. And truly take this with a grain of salt, she's your child so parent her how you'd like. What I just said above is merely a suggestion.

Hope your daughter enjoys her iPad!
Fireball926 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad