Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Has anyone come across a real leather case/cover for the iPad mini?? I want something slip, similar to this style where the ipad clips in without any extra bulk. Theres a few on ebay and amazon but they are all leatherette or have some blatant label on the front which kills it for me. (I don't mind a subtle mark but not too obvious much.

I'm looking for a medium to dark brown leather, and as slim as possible.

THANKS!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This sena case is simply outstanding.

I have them for my iPhone's and Androids. Made of very high quality supple leather that is very scratch resistant, they hold up well and are very nice looking.

Far better than they appear on the web site. The fit is perfect and since I carry my phones in my pocket, the screen has total protection.

Here's a link to the iPad Ultraslim

http://www.senacases.com/apple/ipad-mini/ultraslim/

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Ixodes- thanks for the link, I like Sean cases too but dont like the slip-in style of the mini cases they have now...

SamR123 - Thanks for the link, that looks almost exactly like what I want!! I'm not thrilled with the logo on front but compared to others that one isn't bad at all. The Premium Vintage cover might be just what I end up buying, unless others pop up!

Thanks for your recommendations!!

abstern

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Washington, DC
Saddleback announced their iPad mini case in this newsletter. I bought their iPad case, and while it was very nice leather and protected the iPad, mine came with an awful smell, and I felt it was too bulky. Their customer service said they would send me a new one due to the smell, but I decided to go a different route. The mini case looks as though it is not as bulky, so that might be worth looking at if you want a fantastic leather feel.

268chelsea

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
animal protection,fabric case is good.

i think we could try the fabric cases for iPad & iPad mini . in the market we can buy many styles of fabric case ,it is soft and same function for ipad, and provide many patterns to choose . I love the fabric case. today i find one style is the Colorful Star Fabric Case for iPad mini in Amazon store, it is very good,maybe we can try. :)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I went with the Jison, I'm not 100% sure it'll be 'perfect' but for now it seems like the best bet.. Its on order and either coming from overseas or California so it'll be a few days before it gets here, but I'll post a quick review and some pics when it gets here.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
I went with the Jison, I'm not 100% sure it'll be 'perfect' but for now it seems like the best bet.. Its on order and either coming from overseas or California so it'll be a few days before it gets here, but I'll post a quick review and some pics when it gets here.

Nice...

Look forward to your review and pics if possible please? I was looking at the JISON just yesterday but keep getting drawn to the KAVAJ Berlin. Did you consider that one and if so what made you rule it out ?

SamR123

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Haarlem
Nice...

Look forward to your review and pics if possible please? I was looking at the JISON just yesterday but keep getting drawn to the KAVAJ Berlin. Did you consider that one and if so what made you rule it out ?

I personally don't like how it covers the bezels, in my experience this gets in the way with things like the safari back button. Really loved the jison case.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Nice...

I looked at this one, but its the slip-in style and I dont like that - even though the Kavaj is much more subtle since the border is so much smaller than alot of others. I also don't like the cases with the cutout/stand on the back. I rarely use my case as a stand and prefer a flat back.

I'm not as picky with cheap cases, I have 2 cheap cases I got from Amazon already but if I'm gong to spend $50 or up on a case I want to try and find the right one.. The Jison seems to be 'it' so far, the only think I"m leery about is the corner cuts, in the pics it doesn't look like it completely covers the iPad but that could be just the pictures they posted.. We'll see soon enough!

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2009
I looked at this one, but its the slip-in style and I dont like that - even though the Kavaj is much more subtle since the border is so much smaller than alot of others. I also don't like the cases with the cutout/stand on the back. I rarely use my case as a stand and prefer a flat back.

I'm not as picky with cheap cases, I have 2 cheap cases I got from Amazon already but if I'm gong to spend $50 or up on a case I want to try and find the right one.. The Jison seems to be 'it' so far, the only think I"m leery about is the corner cuts, in the pics it doesn't look like it completely covers the iPad but that could be just the pictures they posted.. We'll see soon enough!

Cheers - will keep an eye out for your feedback :)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Well, I finally got the case today! My initial feedback when I took it out of the box was "WOW! This is perfect"... The leather quality is awesome, it has a nice solid feel to inside and out. I'm not thrilled with the little logo on the front but its small compared to most that I've seen and I'd rather have a little icon like that instead of some company name stamped on like others do.

I've added a few pictures showing the "faults" I see with it, but I'll preface this with me saying 2 things.. 1) I'm being picky and I know that, it really is a great case and 2) I think what I consider a 'fault' would be explained by the manufacturer as a requirements of using leather and the shape it has to be. I have a cheap $10 Amazon case which covers the corner better, but molded plastic is probably easier to fit to an exact size and doesn't need to be hand lined with good, quality leather. I'm sure it has to be cut a certain way to keep the leather smooth around the corners and so the iPad would fit in the case, so I understand it.

I'd also like to say the case does match the pics they posted on their website, I sort of knew how it would be when I ordered and was on the fence, but still went ahead with it.

Now, a few positives - the few cutouts it has are very good and line up nicely. The indented/invisible power and volume buttons are awesome. They aren't imprinted like the picture on the website, but they are slightly raised so you can feel where they are and you hit the button you want to. Its a flawless implementation.

Anyway, here are the pictures...

The first one is just to show the inside color, they dont really show that on the site, I think my picture maybe makes it look a little too yellow, its a tan color, almost a skin-tone shade (if your a lightly tanned caucasian) :)

The second picture is probably my biggest gripe - it seems like the front cover is a TINY bit shorter than the back of the case, so when its closer you can see the back and in the right corner it exposes a little bit of the iPad. Its not a HUGE deal, but something they should fix.. if they made the case 1/8 of an inch bigger it would cover the top and bottom perfectly.

The 3rd and 4th pictures show what I was talking about above - how the corners just don't seem fully covered.. Now, keep in mind, if you drop this thing and it hits a corner I don't think them being exposes they way they are will be any less protected if it wrapped it entirely, its purely cosmetic, but again, like in picture 2 I think just making the front of the case 1/8" bigger helps eliminate some of this - or make it less visible.

All that being said, I'm unsure if I'm keeping it or not. I WANT to love it, the shade of leather, the feel of it, the quality are superb. It feels like such a nice, well made case. I've bought my share of cheap cases from Amazon and eBay and this feels so much better - but the physical gripes I have bother me and make me wonder if its worth the cost.

I've already emailed them and mentioned my concerns and requested an RMA but I doubt I'd actually send it back to them, they are in Hong Kong and the hassle and shipping costs would make it not worth it.. If I don't keep it i'd ebay or marketplace it here.. (That said, if anyone wants it - Here it is.. )

Hope this helps some people who are on the fence!

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Here's another leather alternative I looked at this week. Black one is even better quality leather in my opinion. And it doesn't have the logo, but does have a small Dutch flag. But we're really cool so that shouldn't be a big deal ;)

Review: Decoded Leather Slim Cover voor de iPad mini via McTube for iPhone/iPad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCe5juFOj1c

I dont know what they guy in the review is saying but I think he likes it. :) Thats a tempting case too - I saw it before, the thing I don't like is that the whole top edge is exposed - its just one big cutout.. I like it better when they do individual cutouts around the headphone jack, mic and power button. (Did I saw I was picky??)

Right now I'm waiting on this one: http://amzn.com/B009RXXW4W
Its not real leather, or a worn, vintage leather which I'd prefer but I'm going to give it a try. That may hold me over until another company comes out with something.

SamR123

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Haarlem
I'm the guy in that video :) trying to help you out figuring your options for your list of demands/wishes.

That leatherette one looks kinda cool

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Hi again.. I'm looking for some feedback - I went back and forth in emails with the vendor last night regarding the Jison case I received for my iPad Mini. I've posted some more pictures below - these are the same pictures I sent to them at thier request. I put the comments on the pics to share it with them. Their response to me was "After our QC check your pics and confirm that the pics we show on the website as same as we sent to you."..
I've already admitted here that I'm picky but I'm looking for some clarification or a second (and more) opinions from others out there to see if its just being picky or misleading. (and based on the amount of views on this thread so far theres a ton of people interested in a similiar case and if I'm not being picky at least they'll have some fair warning on what to expect if they order this one).

I'll also thought I would mention that they have allowed me to send it back for a refund, less a 15% restocking fee (roughly $9) and shipping it back to China at my expense (just under $20) - so after I send it back I'd be losing about a third of what it cost me.

So, now for the pictures...

Attachments

• SAMPLE.jpg
    SAMPLE.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Top Right.jpg
    Top Right.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 170
  • Top Left.jpg
    Top Left.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 187
  • Lower Right.jpg
    Lower Right.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Lower Left.jpg
    Lower Left.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 196

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I don't know - I have the red one for my mini and I'm pretty happy with it. Think the fit is pretty similar to what your pictures show, BUT (and this way the big deal for me) the cover lays completely flat. Nothing up until this one would do that - went through Smart covers and several other brands from Amazon and none of them would lay completely flat. I have since ordered the red Jison case for my iPad 3.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Well, after going back and forth for a week, this is the latest response I received:

Dear Howard,

Thanks for your email,

After confirm with our QC, the case is correct but the pics we show on our site are edited. It is our mistake and very sorry. Plz send the case back to us and we will return with shipping charge to you.

Regards,

Tonny

This is so frustrating, the PICTURES of this case are exactly what I was looking for, its sad that the actual case doesn't match up..

Last edited:

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
They were probably showing pics of case for full size ipad. Got that one the other day and it's perfect. Still happy with my mini case.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This sena case is simply outstanding.

I have them for my iPhone's and Androids. Made of very high quality supple leather that is very scratch resistant, they hold up well and are very nice looking.

Far better than they appear on the web site. The fit is perfect and since I carry my phones in my pocket, the screen has total protection.

Here's a link to the iPad Ultraslim

http://www.senacases.com/apple/ipad-mini/ultraslim/

Since you dont have the ipad mini case, you cant say its outstanding.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Since you dont have the ipad mini case, you cant say its outstanding.

You're a bit over the top with your response, I think he was implying the Sena UltraSlim cases are great, they're always a perfect fit. Stop trying to nit pick just for the sake of nit-picking. Sena has made the Ultraslim for just about every product Apple has made, and they're always outstanding. They come with a hefty price, but you get what you pay for.

The only issue I have is that they don't have a stand. I have the US case by Sena on order for my iPad Mini, but I speculate I'll have to carry my portable kickstand for airplane use.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You're a bit over the top with your response, I think he was implying the Sena UltraSlim cases are great, they're always a perfect fit. Stop trying to nit pick just for the sake of nit-picking. Sena has made the Ultraslim for just about every product Apple has made, and they're always outstanding. They come with a hefty price, but you get what you pay for.

The only issue I have is that they don't have a stand. I have the US case by Sena on order for my iPad Mini, but I speculate I'll have to carry my portable kickstand for airplane use.

Not in my experience the fit is not alway good. Also they are overpriced and provide little impact protection.

its not a nit pick when the op praises a specific product that is not available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.