Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Question 6th iPad mini replacement? Should I just give up?

sounds crazy but every ipad mini had an issue. 4 of them had nicks on the bzel, one had dust and junk udner the screen and one had a home button that got stuck under the glass when u pres it.

my 6th one has tiny nicks all over the top part of te bezel

the apple store manager just said its barely noticable, but even the geniuses there acknowledge, "yeah we can see it".

i mean, i spent 600 dollars on this, its my first ipad and i love it but, is there really a flawless product or am i having serious ccrappy luck. im not trying to be obessive, just trying to get what i paid for. yes it doesnt efect the device functionaly but, from apple, you'd expect nothing less

p.s- i didnt open 6 at the store, the last 3 i did, the first 3 was through online orders
Chuck-Norris is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:56 AM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Don't accept anything less than perfect from inspecting it. You don't pay $600 to get second rate scratched up hardware. Apple has really bad quality control and they should pay for it, not you.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   13
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:58 AM   #3
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Don't accept anything less than perfect from inspecting it. You don't pay $600 to get second rate scratched up hardware. Apple has really bad quality control and they should pay for it, not you.
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCPD persons like you and the TS.

Last edited by Carlanga; Dec 9, 2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: OCDP>OCPD
Carlanga is offline   24
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:01 AM   #4
imlovinit
macrumors regular

It just sounds like crappy luck. Keep at it until you get a perfect one..or until your patience runs out.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:19 AM   #5
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCDP persons like you and the TS.
Only fundamental Apple loyalists would say that scratched up hardware out of the box from Apple is "great quality control". I have a scratched up car you can buy for full retail price.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   15
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:41 AM   #6
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Only fundamental Apple loyalists would say that scratched up hardware out of the box from Apple is "great quality control". I have a scratched up car you can buy for full retail price.
At least it's just cosmetic.

Apparently some people think it's ok for $2200+ Retina Macbook Pros to have image retention too...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:29 AM   #7
rtomyj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Bought a Nexus 7. Had some rubber popping out. The bezel was also not very well placed. I don't like my Nexus 7 and don't use it. However, it has nothing to do with the imperfections. It really is the person, not the company in, most cases.
rtomyj is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Gavern
macrumors newbie

Smile So far...

I have to say that 99% of the of Apple Products I've seen and purchased have been flawless on the physical parts. However I bought an iPod Shuffle a few days ago, that I had to return, because the navigation dial was crooked about 5 or 6 degrees and it was very noticeable. When I returned it, they were (the Apple Retail Employees) like shocked and said they had never seen that in a shuffle before. Well the new one I got had straight navigation dial but the back square clip had been attached crooked. So the first thing that came to my mind was rushed Foxconn workers, then I thought well it's not an iPhone or more expensive product, so I just lived with it. But if I bought a Mac, a Macbook or an iPad or an iPhone and the outer design was scratched, parts were crooked or attached off center, you bet I would return it for an exchange. Because frankly Apple's products, which are not cheap, are advertised as "high quality designed and presented products" so when you pay the higher price tag, you expect the products to be as such.
Gavern is offline   2
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:26 AM   #9
JS3
macrumors regular

People will kill me for saying this but the full size is built so much stronger. I have both and everytime I pick up the mini I just feel like its not built as well.

People on here are cracking mini and bending them. Its crazy.
JS3 is offline   1
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:41 AM   #10
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

Are you OCD people inspecting your devices with a microscope??
midwestfisherma is offline   3
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
marc55
macrumors 6502

Boy, we must be lucky. We have an iPad 3, iPad Mini, and an iPhone 4S, and all three were perfect out of the box.
marc55 is offline   2
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
vicky07
macrumors newbie

You should not give up!! you paid $600 for it do not just let it go!!!
You have given complete amount for it so it is their job to provide you with proper services!
You should definitely replace it
vicky07 is offline   2
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #13
TheSpeaker
Banned

Please keep buying iPad minis you nitpicker! More refurbs at discount prices for those of us without OCD!
TheSpeaker is offline   4
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:10 AM   #14
robertosh
macrumors 6502

Apple has lowered its quality control, I had problems with the first unit aswell. Had a dead pixel and the front camera lens was displaced from the frontal hole, not centered. I returned it for a replace. The screen of the replace was ok but there were some dust and marks at the back. I cleaned it and most of the marks dissapeared, some not. It was ok for me and didn't replace it but is clear that the Apple quality controls aren't the same.
2014 iPhone 6 64Gb
robertosh is offline   1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:45 AM   #15
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Do what you gotta do. I would do the same if I was in your position
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:32 AM   #16
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
It's a miracle. 'Nicks' have become scratches, all so you can insult people. Congratulations.
kodeman53 is offline   1
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:48 AM   #17
zhenya
macrumors 68030

I suspect that the defects you are finding are on a scale that the vast majority of customers would never notice them, and/or realize that a portable device like this will have minor marks and scuffs within days of even careful use. You can continue to complain, but you are really only harming yourself. If Apples standards don't satisfy you, find another product. I suspect you'll quickly realize how good Apple is in comparison to the competition.

It doesn't matter that it cost $600. You are analyzing it at a level that is beyond reason. Guess what. A $50k car doesn't have flawless paint either. Not even close.
zhenya is offline   4
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Mr.damien

Quote:
Only fundamental Apple loyalists are fetishist enough not to accept any scratch on their "preeecioouuuuuuus".

I use my iPad everyday, the back is getting scratches with usage as any object in the world: I don't care.

That's life.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:23 AM   #19
Chuck-Norris
Banned

Quote:
Nah, they have great quality control. The issue here is OCDP persons like you and the TS.
so ur saying u would buy scratched up products for 600 dollars?

LLOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   12
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:37 AM   #20
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

True or false: people who spend equal amounts on android products care less if their product comes win a scratch on the plastic. I don't remember freaking out over scratches on my laptops back when it was 1k and up. Just blame it on the shipping. I really do feel like apples QC is really its undoing.

----------

Actually I think the funny thing is apples usage of anodized aluminum is, of course, nothing new. They have a history of shipping out scratched products dating back to its chrome iPods. Most of my iPads had small nicks in them and my MacBook Pro came with some aluminum discoloring.

It's just because its black aluminum that people are freaking out and screaming bloody murder.
FrozenDarkness is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:59 AM   #21
netdog
macrumors 603

Quote:
When you first open the box, there should be NO scratches on your Mini. That's not an unreasonable expectation.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:33 AM   #22
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Mine has a few nicks in the silver bezel too.

I don't care really but I can see why people do. It's an expensive product, it shouldn't look used. If you tried to sell it second hand the buyer would be well within his rights to say its scratched and ask for a price reduction so why is it acceptable for the OP to accept it as new?
THFourteen is offline   6
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:45 AM   #23
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

I'd have told you to do one after the first 3.

It's quite clear you're not going to get perfection from the cheapest mass produced iPad. If you have unrealistic expectations, just return it for a refund and buy something else.
Brian Y is offline   3
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:00 AM   #24
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Orange County Drums and Percussion?
NutsNGum is offline   2
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
so ur saying u would buy scratched up products for 600 dollars?
LLOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
When you first open the box, there should be NO scratches on your Mini. That's not an unreasonable expectation.
That is fine if it happened 1 or even 2 times, having SIX of them w/ defects, just means the problem is you not the item. Unless the TS can provide pics, I won't believe the issue is w/ the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Orange County Drums and Percussion?
LMAO, sorry meant OCPD

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland