Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViennaGambit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hey all - long time lurker first time poster!

Well, looking to buy a first iPad for my pregnant wife and am in need of guidance from you experienced folks...

So the big questions are:

-Faster processor or more space?
-Will iPad3 become obsolete much quicker?

(all the other differences: connector, quicker wifi, LTE and better front facing camera are seemingly not important enough to her)

Here is the background: My wife is not a power user by any means - she does music, Netflix, takes meeting notes, email and internet - no graphics-demanding games or media editing.

I can get her a brand new iPad3 (retina) with 32gb for $489 or a new iPad 4 with the basic 16gb for $499 and I do not know which way to go...

My gut tells me that for her use, more space is much more important than the faster A6X processor, but my worry is longevity - I would like this iPad to last for at least 3 or 4 years and am worried that iPad3 may not be able to run the future apps/programs that the iPad4 may be able to run... Is this silly?

Which way would you guys go if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance!
-Harry

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I would get the 4th gen 32 GB iPad. After taxes and everything you would only be paying about $100 more for twice the storage. The iPad 3 has the same processor as the iPad mini so they'll keep it around for a couple of more years, Though like I read in other threads the iPad 3s processor is eventually going to get tired of pushing that retina display, as opposed to the iPad 4 which has more than enough power for everything that it has inside.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I would get the iPad 4. I can live with the smaller storage. Music is what eats up room but I can store that on my iPhone 5. I can just Airplay from there if I wanted to surf the net and listen to music at same time.

You'll never get a definitive answer. It's like Coke or Pepsi?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, if you want to keep the device for three to four years, than the A6X chip will give you the best performance. Future software updates - and apps written for new iOS versions - will run much smoother on the A6X chip as it has literally twice as much computing power in both computing tasks (like start-up times of apps and the smoothness of an app) and graphical tasks (like running the display and games).

I'd say get a 32 GB model, so you are sure you won't run out of space... but since you intend to keep the device for up to four years, get an iPad 4.

didgeridoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
The main improvements for the 4 are faster cpu, better camera and better wifi. Go for the 4 if playing games or annoyed by app loading or scrolling delays or if it won't traded in for a couple of years. The larger storage on the 3 will be appreciated for video/music storage. The 30 vs 8 pin cable connector may or may not be a consideration if you're trying to stay with one type. I have a 3/64gb/cell and, though pissed that it's out of date so quickly, will wait for the 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.