Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I'm manually loading songs onto my Shuffle for a root canal tomorrow AM. Everything was going ok, and then it just stopped loading songs, and there are gray dots next to the songs from that point on. I ejected the iPod when it did this about an hour ago, and when I plugged it back in only the songs without dots had loaded. So I've been trying to put songs on again, and I just checked it, and it's happened again. What's the deal? I've been sitting here for 15 minutes and nothing has changed. The iPod is plugged into a USB 2.0 on the back of my ACD.

Picture below. Please help!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 242

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The dots simply denote which songs are going to be put on your Shuffle, but haven't been tranferred yet...that's completely normal, and has nothing to do with your actual problem, which is that the transfer is halting. I haven't experienced that problem, so maybe someone else here can help you out.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Hi, cleo!

From the iTunes help system:
Transferring songs to an iPod shuffle

Any songs that could not be transferred (because there was not enough space on your iPod shuffle; the computer is not authorized to play the songs; or your iPod shuffle is not attached) have a gray dot beside them in the iPod shuffle playlist.​
That gives it three excuses for those dots. Any idea which might apply to you?

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Heya. :) None of those reasons apply;

1) it's a 1GB Shuffle, and only around 20 songs, and 20 more to add (see attached pic above)
2) all songs were either purchased on this Mac or ripped by me
3) it's attached. I promise. :)

Any other thoughts?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Given that you don't want to take forever to solve this so you'll have it ready tomorrow (sorry about the root canal), I would factory reset the shuffle, rename it after yourself again, and start over filling it. There are probably a number of possible causes, with 'gone brain dead' only one of them, but why not try the easiest solution first?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.