Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
vish26
macrumors member

Dilemma between buying iPad-4 or wait for iPad-5 ?

Hi Guys,

I am in a Dilemma and I am looking a way out of this. Maybe someone here will be able to show me a way out of this Ok so I bought my New iPad (3rd Generation) on Oct-19th and 4 days later Apple announced the 4th Generation iPad with 720P Facetime Camera and Faster Processor and a Lightning Connector. While I was making plans to buy the iPad-3 I was aware about the rumours then of the iPad-3 is gonna undergo a change but to the best of knowledge then, I was under the impression that Apple was only gonna change the Lightning Connector so I completely missed out on Reliable and Proper Rumors/Information then. I failed there though I am a regular visitor here. (Had I known it that iPad-4 will have a 720P Front Camera) I would have held back my plans of buying the iPad-3 and wait for iPad-4 to arrive in my Country.

So to my utter shock and dismay Apple out of the Pandora’s Box came out with a 720P Camera which was the only and biggest thing bothering me, as Keeping up pace with the latest processor is a never ending, Blind Race which can never end, meaning every year Tech companies will come out with Better and Faster Processor so how much can you keep pace with ? is the question ? It is tiring and expensive unless every year you keep upgrading your device and I am not one of them. So I imagine myself missing the 720p Camera more in the iPad-4 then the faster Processor.

Now before you guys suggest me that Apple was running a program where in anyone who had bought the iPad-3 in the last 30 days of the iPad-4 being announced was automatically eligible for a free upgrade to iPad-4 unfortunately I am not in the United States and there is no Apple in my country, I mean Apple does not operate here directly It is all sold through a Reseller and none of them were running that kind of Program. So I have to sell now my iPad-3 at a quite a bit of loss (And I imagine sometimes, all this what just for a Lightning Connector and a Facetime Camera which is just marginally better then my iPad-3 c’mon it is not even a Full HD Camera it is not even 1080P) that would have been the real deal isn’t it guys ?

Now here is my Question. I am in a Dilemma with rumours around iPad-5 being a sleeker and thinner Body than iPad-3/4. Will the iPad-5 also have a 1080P Front Camera ? A thought that touches my mind is should I wait for iPad-5 to be released and then upgrade my iPad-3 or should I upgrade to iPad-4 now, Mind you guys it would be easily a loss of $900 in getting my iPad-3 sold and investing more money to buy iPad-4. I mean Net-Net it is an investment of $900 ($400 Loss in selling iPad-3 and $400 investing more to buy the iPad-4) additional money for me. So is it worth the investment of $800-$900 when I am not sure how much will I use the 720P Front Camera as I hardly see myself making any facetime or skype video calls. But having said that I see myself using it once in a while what maybe once in 3 months or so...So I would love to have the 720P Front Camera rather then have a faster processor which I don’t know how will it help me.

But also I feel iPad-5 may have a 1080P Front Facing Camera and that would make it a full HD Front camera which would be the real cracker of a deal if a Full HD camera is what I am looking out for. What do you guys think will the iPad-5 have a 1080P Front Camera ? if iPad-5 is likely gonna have it I might aswell wait for it and then upgrade it.

What do you guys suggest ? what should I do ?

is the benefit in upgrading to iPad-5 far more rather than in upgrading to iPad-4 now ? if you already have an iPad-3 right now ?

Thanks in Advance !

Last edited by vish26; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
vish26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Unless you have to have the 4's camera, just keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops. It's almost assuredly going to have a new body and be a little lighter.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:29 AM   #3
vish26
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Just keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops.
And why do you say that?

----------

Quote:
Unless you have to have the 4's camera, j
I don't know thats what I am trying to figure out and asking people here, is it something to miss about ?

Quote:
keep your 3 and upgrade to the 5 when it drops. It's almost assuredly going to have a new body and be a little lighter.
is it also likely gonna have a 1080P Front Camera ?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vish26 View Post
And why do you say that?
Because the only thing you really expressed interest in was the 4's camera, which is why I said "Unless you have to have the 4's camera". If you were to move to the 4 now, in a year you'll be asking the same thing about the iPad 5 if it gets 1080 front camera.

Quick question, I know you couldn't get the free swap to the 4, but weren't you able to simply return your ipad 3?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
vish26
macrumors member

Quote:
Because the only thing you really expressed interest in was the 4's camera, which is why I said "Unless you have to have the 4's camera". If you were to move to the 4 now, in a year you'll be asking the same thing about the iPad 5 due to its better camera.

Quick question, I know you couldn't get the free swap to the 4, but weren't you able to simply return your ipad 3?

Nope had it been Apple doing Business directly here maybe, but Apple sells he through Premium Resellers which do not offer any return or refund policy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
Sell your 3, buy a 4, sell your 4, buy a 5.
All this costs money sunny boy it ain't all cheap. Easily will lose upto $800 in doing all these...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
jonsuh
macrumors member

I would say temper your eagerness and just hold out! My opinion is no life-changing difference in the 3 to 4 so jumping so soon may end up in regret!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
zhenya
macrumors 68020

I think you'd be crazy to spend $900 essentially for a slightly upgraded front camera. (yes, I know you get other things, but that's the primary thing you care about). In practice the quality of the video is far more dependent on the internet connection between the two parties than having a slightly better camera.

Also, why would you lose so much on resale? Here in the US, where new products are widely available, I would only expect to lose $100-200 in resale on a new ipad after 1-2 years, let alone a few months.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Duwsh
macrumors member

Sell your 3, buy a 4, sell your 4, buy a 5.
Duwsh is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:35 PM   #9
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

This. ^. Nice post.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:50 PM   #10
CNeufeld
macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't know why you're fixating on the front camera, which you say you'll only use once every three months. At $400 for the upgrade, that's $100/use over the next year. And it's not like it doesn't have a front camera at all, it's just that it's not quite as good as the newer models are/might be. I could see upgrading if you used it on a regular basis and you'd already determined that the camera might not be good enough for your uses.

Just my $0.02.

Clint
CNeufeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:28 PM   #11
vish26
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
Personally, I don't know why you're fixating on the front camera,
Clint
isn't that a good fancy thing to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeufeld View Post
Just my $0.02.

Clint
?? Didn't understand ? what ?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:00 AM   #12
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

'Just my $0.02' means 'just my 2 cents' which means 'just my personal opinion or input into the conversation'.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:10 AM   #13
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vish26 View Post
isn't that a good fancy thing to have

?? Didn't understand ? what ?
The '$0.02' comment is an expression. 'Just my two cents' means 'just my opinion'.

On the issue of the iPad debate. Why not just use your iPad 3 for 6 months before the updated iPad (5) comes out? It will most certainly be better than the iPad 4, and I reckon it will likely adopt some of the design sense of the iPad Mini. Even if the camera is NOT updated, which I somehow doubt it will be (there's probably not a huge market for a 1080p front-facing camera - just my two cents), you'll still be left with a newer, nicer machine.

I'm in a similar predicament, as my wife wants my iPad 2 and I am kind of wanting to see what the iPad 5 has to offer instead of buying the 4. I think the iPad Mini looks great, and I'd quite like to have a similarly-designed iPad 5.

Last edited by mac1984user; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Point already made by another person re: two cents
mac1984user is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:25 AM   #14
vish26
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1984user View Post

On the issue of the iPad debate. Why not just use your iPad 3 for 6 months before the updated iPad (5) comes out? It will most certainly be better than the iPad 4, and I reckon it will likely adopt some of the design sense of the iPad Mini. Even if the camera is NOT updated, which I somehow doubt it will be (there's probably not a huge market for a 1080p front-facing camera - just my two cents), you'll still be left with a newer, nicer machine.

I'm in a similar predicament, as my wife wants my iPad 2 and I am kind of wanting to see what the iPad 5 has to offer instead of buying the 4. I think the iPad Mini looks great, and I'd quite like to have a similarly-designed iPad 5.
Was there a market for 720P front camera ? Before Apple came out with it in the iPad-4 ? No? Apple creates and the world follows...So if Apple can upgrade the ordinary camera of iPad-3 to 720P why can't they upgrade the 720P to 1080P in iPad-5 once apple comes out everyone else will follow...So market gets created when the offering is there...

Just my $0.02
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:17 AM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned

Once the iPad becomes thinner and lighter, it's going to rock. Most are expecting that to come with the iPad 5. If you can wait, I certainly would.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Browns2212
macrumors regular

If you want to get the "better", most recent version then you should do it......IF you can afford it.

That's the most important factor.

But to me, it wouldn't be worth it.

I bought an iPad 2 back in March right after the 3 came out because the price for the 2 dropped down to $399.

I just bought the 4 for X-Mas as a gift to the family because my kids (and wife) are always fighting over the 2.

Again, you should do whatever you can afford. If I bought the 3 and only a couple of days later the 4 came out, I'd be mad, but it wouldn't be worth the money for me to upgrade. I'd wait for the 5 to come out and see what they have done to make it better than the 4.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:05 PM   #17
gadget123
macrumors 65816

Wait for Ipad 5.

Ipad 4 is essentially an Ipad 3 with some internal updates like faster and the lightning dock.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:53 PM   #18
jca24
macrumors 6502a

I think someone needs to get a life. Worrying about what the next ipad camera will be is stupid. It will be what it will be. If the money you lose on the 3 and the added money you will have to spend on the 4 is an issue: you clearly can't afford to do this. Apple will improve their product with every refresh. You can only have the latest and greatest until the next one comes out. Enjoy what you have!

jca24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #19
augustya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
This. ^. Nice post.
What does it mean when some says This ^ ?
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:19 AM   #20
iapplelove
Banned

op i have bought every iPad on launch day and even myself couldn't justify getting the iPad 4,and it has nothing to do with money in my case. i also am on the side that the next iPad when ever it's released will be thinner lighter and more like the newer iPhone/mini.
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:23 AM   #21
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
What does it mean when some says This ^ ?
"This ^" refers to the post directly above the response; the "^" is an up arrow.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:58 AM   #22
augustya
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
"This ^" refers to the post directly above the response; the "^" is an up arrow.
Oh ok ! So it does not mean anything derogatory lol ! Lot of people only mention This ^ in their post !
augustya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:01 AM   #23
flavr
macrumors 6502

There WILL NOT be a 1080 front camera for AWHILE...networks cannot support the bandwidth...if thats your reason to wait, forget it, just get one now.
flavr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Piccio
macrumors member

I've skipped the 3rd generation iPad and I think that the actual 4th gen is the real "iPad 3" as intended.

I'm not saying that 3rd gen sucks but it's already out of production, so maybe it was planned this strategy...

Now I would buy an iPad 4 but I'm a little bit scared of recent Apple's policy, will they release a new device every 6 months?
Piccio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 PM   #25
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

You should wait for iPad 7
It will be much more powerful, much lighter, much better camera, much better OS, much better everything, same price

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad