Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Analyst Suggests iPhone 5S Could Launch in Mid-2013 with NFC, 128 GB Storage, 6-8 Colors

Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today released a new research report that is gaining attention for its claims regarding Apple's next generation of iOS devices. Based on supply chain checks, Misek believes that the iPhone 5S is likely to launch in June or July of next year, in line with several other reports citing a similar timeframe.

Misek makes a number of interesting claims regarding features of the iPhone 5S, classifying them into "likely" and "possible" but offering little expanded commentary on any of them.
Quote:
Based on our checks, likely updates include a new super HD camera/screen, a better battery, and NFC. Possible updates include an IGZO screen for Retina+, 128GB storage, and coming in 6 to 8 colors.
Going further, Misek discusses a number of different iPhone 6 prototypes he believes are currently circulating, referring to the device that would follow next year's iPhone 5S.
Quote:
Several iPhone 6 prototypes appear to be floating around. The model with a 4.8" screen is the most interesting. It has a Retina+ IGZO screen, a new A7 quad-core processor variant, and a new form factor with no home button. Full gesture control is also possibly included.
Misek also revives talk of a low-cost iPhone at a $200-$250 price point on an unsubsidized basis, but claims that the project has not yet been given the go-ahead.

A mid-2013 launch for the iPhone 5S would make for an accelerated update cycle on the iPhone, but as was seen with the iPad this year Apple may be working to speed up the intervals between product updates in order to enhance its competitiveness. Asymco's Horace Dediu last week outlined several reasons why Apple may be making such a concerted effort, with one major reason being the strongly cyclical nature of Apple's sales that sees customers holding back on purchases for as much two quarters ahead of an expected product release. Accelerating product releases would make customers more likely to skip generations but smooth out Apple's sales numbers while keeping its products fresh and competitive.

Misek also believes that Apple will be launching the fifth-generation iPad around June of next year, with the device adopting an IGZO display to reduce thickness and weight. The iPad mini is reportedly also scheduled for an upgrade around the same time, potentially adopting multiple new colors and a Retina display.

Finally, Misek believes that Apple may launch its long-anticipated television set with gesture and voice control in September or October of 2013, with delays said to be stemming from issues with Sharp's financial stability and yields on IGZO panels. Apple is reportedly struggling with content negotiations for its rumored television set initiative, but fresh comments from CEO Tim Cook regarding television being an "area of intense interest" have continued to drive speculation about Apple's efforts.

In most cases, analyst reports should be taken with considerable skepticism, and Misek has had a mixed track record in the past. His closest hit was likely early claims of the iPhone 4S, while he has missed on other topics such as a thinner IGZO-based iPad for the third generation earlier this year and a Netflix competitor from Apple.

Article Link: Analyst Suggests iPhone 5S Could Launch in Mid-2013 with NFC, 128 GB Storage, 6-8 Colors
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

iPhone 7!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
iPhone 7!
Wait for the 8!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
I'll be able to upgrade after May. Can't wait for the 5S
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated View Post
Have to wait for September 2014. That's when my contract expires. I probably could upgrade April 2014, but the contract stacks on top of the next one then. So there is no benefit to upgrade the earliest I can, since it won't get me the next upgrade any earlier. Still on my iPhone 4 and it works fine. Can't wait for iPhone 6!
stuffradio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 AM   #6
wizard
macrumors 68040

Still on my iPhone 4 with nothing rushing me to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Have to wait for September 2014. That's when my contract expires. I probably could upgrade April 2014, but the contract stacks on top of the next one then. So there is no benefit to upgrade the earliest I can, since it won't get me the next upgrade any earlier. Still on my iPhone 4 and it works fine. Can't wait for iPhone 6!
Frankly I don't understand the people on this forum that have the need to rush out and get the latest the minute it comes out. Especially for a cell phone. In my mind I benefit far more from keeping my iPad up to date and even there I haven't moved from 3 to 4 yet. Believe me iPad 4 is far more tempting of an upgrade than iPhone 5.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Me too. The release of the, 'haven't we seen this before' iPhone5 made me realise that it is possible to get through life without having the latest and greatest. iPhone 6 is next on my list.

Last edited by H2SO4; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
H2SO4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM   #8
HiRez
macrumors 601

In other words, Mr. Misek got high and started typing.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I will be pulling the use a family members upgrade and switch lines.

Looks like pre-order in June or wait until August when supplies catch up.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10
ElRojito
macrumors member

Quote:

Wait... What can you not, exactly, "wait" for? How are you excited about something that you know nothing about. "Man, I can't wait for food that is electronically placed into my stomach"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
I'd love to see Apple make a phone like the Note 2, but it's the whole package that makes that phone great, not just the 5.5" screen - in fact, the 5.5" screen can be a negative if you realize it's only 1280x720, which you can get on a smaller screen.

It has a stylus and rather decent handwriting recognition, a wireless chip that supports virtually every gsm/cdma/lte band in the US, can take 64GB SDXC cards, has a large battery, fast processor, tons of RAM, a nice phone speaker, and a camera not unlike the iphone's (though I still prefer my P&S camera).

If Apple put all of that in a phone it'd be pretty cool, they could even call it the Phone Pro.
You're probably over 50
ElRojito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Illuminated
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Illuminated
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojito View Post
Wait... What can you not, exactly, "wait" for? How are you excited about something that you know nothing about. "Man, I can't wait for food that is electronically placed into my stomach"

----------

You're probably over 50
I have a 4S. I'd like the 5, but the 5S will undoubtedly be better than both the 4S and the 5.

I can't upgrade till May, so I'd rather not get the 5 when the 5S will be out soon. That's why I can't wait for the 5S. May not know much about it, but I do know it'll be better.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:33 AM   #12
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

I find this all hard to believe. Though I could see 128GB storage becoming an option.
PDFierro is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #13
BuckusToothnail
Banned

4.8" screen, near field communication (NFC), coming in a range of colors...sounds like the iPhone is turning more and more into the Samsung Galaxy S3.
BuckusToothnail is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

I need a 'job' like his where I get paid a probably not-too-shabby amount each month to spout random nonsense like he does.
MagicWok is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #15
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

I strongly encourage all MR users to bookmark this post and come back and visit it when the iPhone 5S is released. These are some WILD predictions to say the least.
somethingelsefl is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM   #16
lewdvig
macrumors 65816

best part of this bat **** crazy analyst is the snorg tees ad on the side - I love those ladies!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Love the report, I'm now only holding off on a new iPhone because of the Maps issues, hope they are fixed by the time the next iPhone comes out. If they go to 128Gb at the top it should mean the other sizes should be cheaper.

I'm sure it will be called the 5s going on past naming.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM   #18
azentropy
macrumors 65816

June or July would be great. I think a large block of users who purchased the iPhone 4s when it came out (like myself) have "refresh" dates around then.
azentropy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 AM   #19
TheSpeaker
Banned

128GB storage? Sign me up. Glad I got that additional line.
TheSpeaker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Loge
macrumors 68000

Seems he's written about what he *wants* to happen rather than what will most likely happen.
Loge is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Shearwater
macrumors regular

Oh please stop upsetting the iPhone5 users....until after Christmas....
Shearwater is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM   #22
iScott428
macrumors regular

Acid is the only reasonable explanation here.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM   #23
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

4.8" screen...

I am not even done updating for this 4inch screen. I will kill someone if we have to develop for yet another screen.

Otherwise yay.

TouchMint.com is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:55 AM   #24
lcmazza
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to lcmazza
I thought big phones were dismissed by Apple.
What competition does, huh? Putting fanboysm to shame once again.
lcmazza is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:57 AM   #25
PTVMan
macrumors regular

IMO Apple will never produce an iPhone in colors choices other than black and white. Iconic design requires discipline and not jumping on fads.
PTVMan is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion