Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I am having some problems with Mail + Gmail:

1. Emails I try to send go directly to the outbox and just sit there. I am not prompted with an error; settings should be correct.

2. I receive an email and am alerted. It is in [Gmail] > All Mail but not my inbox. When I refresh again, it downloads (separately, it seems) to my Inbox.

3. There is a folder list called [Gmail] and no "Use This Mailbox For" option, as there used to be.

4. When I hit "delete," emails go to Trash > Gmail as well as [Gmail] > All Mail. However, emails in All Mail are not necessarily in my Trash.

Thanks.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Hmmm, no problems for me (10+ Gmail accounts)

What ISP are you using? I've had issues from time to time like you describe, but they seem to be related to local ISP issues, not Gmail.

Are you setting up your Gmail account in Mail as its own Inbox? And then its own outgoing mail server?

And there apparently was some sort of Gmail outage today - don't know if that contributed to your problems.

While most people prefer IMAP to POP, all my Gmail accounts in Mail are set up as POP. After you set up the account in Mail, you need to go back and confirm in Gmail that the account is POP - it defaults to IMAP, if I remember right.

Last edited:

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
It's not my ISP. Today I re-enabled Gmail in Mail, after it being disabled for some time. I think "inbox" is actually the same; That one main Inbox icon represents what's in my Gmail inbox. Sent, Trash, etc., however, are not the same folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.