Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
You mention the name of Neil Patrick Harris nine (9) times, including the title, in one article. Is that really necessary?
The same goes for Calvin Johnson, and probably all the others, though it seems you have used Tom Hanks' name less than it could have been.

It is bad journalistic writing to repeat the name of the protagonist that many times, but then again, I do not have exploitable writing skills and I probably do not know such things.

As for the rest, it looks like many other pages with seemingly lots of info and the home page is quite crowded, though that is probably acceptable with pages like these.

Tholian

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Stanford
Generally OK, though I do think the 3 column display looks a little compressed on my 2560 x 1440 display. It's just busy enough that your eye doesn't know where to focus at first. It might benefit from widening the site by a little bit and adding some padding to the columns, or perhaps setting the multimedia box of a bit by padding just that part, or framing it.

Good job!

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I agree with commentor #2 - too much repetition, way too cluttered, to me its a big turnoff and I'd go elsewhere because I can't focus on anything. This is a classic case of adding too many widgets. Consolidation is the key to this page in my opinion.

I don't mind the skinny latest column 2, normally a sidebar, as it's a design choice and I credit the OP for daring to be different. What makes it a poor impression on me is not that it's there, it's size or its placement - it's the repetition of content as stated above. In that context, it's an eyesore.

I apologize for sounding so glum and negative, nothing personal to the OP.

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
The repetition of the names, was just a SEO tactic, I'll try to ease out of it though, as for the clutered and repetition, I will see how it looks after i geta few more posts.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I like the layout of the site, clean and simple. Easy to navigate and it seems as you have more posts like you mentioned you're not seeing duplications or triplicates of posts.

I would remove the "Latest Posts" piece that is vertical in the middle of the page. You already have a Latest section to the far right with 3 tabs that is more useful and this will help on the multiples issue.

Great logo as well.

schimmel

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2009
Sweden
I've been working on it for a while, please review. I realize some of the categories are repetitive on the front page, but that will be changed the more posts i post. Here is the site
http://www.piggysalary.com/

Here are examples of a post

http://www.piggysalary.com/actors/neil-patrick-harris-net-worth-and-salary/

http://www.piggysalary.com/athletes/calvin-johnson-net-worth-and-salary/

It looks fine, but I really wouldn't trust it if I came across it. It looks like almost everything is a template with automatically filled numbers, just to generate revenues by ads.

You'd need more personally written content, a clear tagline/very short intro to the site, and much less ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.