Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Updates Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 with Retina Display Support

In line with rumors and speculation from late last month, Adobe today released updates to both Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator CS6 bringing support for Retina displays as found on Apple's redesigned MacBook Pro models.
Quote:
With this update, customers can see more detail in images, text, and in the Illustrator user interface when working on high-resolution displays, including the new Retina display available on MacBook Pro. The HiDPI feature in Illustrator is currently only available on Mac OS. It is expected to be available in the future on additional operating systems.
The updates are available for both Creative Cloud subscribers and owners with standalone licenses.

Adobe had announced in late August that it would be bringing Retina display support to a number of its titles over the following months, with Photoshop and Illustrator being two of the highest-profile applications receiving the upgrade. At the time, Adobe noted that the upgrade process for Photoshop alone required the replacement of 2500 icons and cursors, as well as other engineering work to optimize the experience for Retina displays.

Adobe's Create Now conference kicks off tomorrow morning, and the company may have more to announce about its software offerings at that time.

Article Link: Adobe Updates Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 with Retina Display Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Asherpotter
macrumors member

The first to announce are the last to deliver.
Asherpotter is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 AM   #3
komodrone
Banned

Yeahhhhh
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Great! :-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Just another 3 years until those displays really take off enough make everyone support those resolutions.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
GorgonPhone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Great! :-)
yeah i would skip the retina macs.. not worth the extra money at this time
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Technodynamic
macrumors member

Updates are a little FUBAR.

I had to update the updater after many failed attempts. Doing so allowed me to run the patches. Photoshop looked no different.

Now I run the updater again and it appears as if EVERY product in my Adobe Suite has an update. So.... letting it download a ton of updates now and waiting...
Technodynamic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
yeah i would skip the retina macs.. not worth the extra money at this time
Maybe for the 13" but even that machine's screen is just beautiful to work on. $1700 for a machine with integrated GPU is a bit much to swallow (for some) regardless of resolution.

The 15" rMBP is just about where the 17" MBP was before they axed it. Now, if you were talking about a killer mobile workstation then sure, but then you are making a drastic shift in weight.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

If only I had a retina MBP to utilize the new update...
Comeagain? is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Lordskelic
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Lordskelic Send a message via Skype™ to Lordskelic
It's gonna look so sexy and stuff!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:26 AM   #11
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Useless update for my new iMac
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
WICKEDfour
macrumors newbie

Download Links

Adobe Illustrator 16.0.3 Update for Mac
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5524
The Adobe Illustrator 16.0.3 update adds support for HiDPI Retina Displays and provides several other stability fixes.

The Photoshop update is listed on Adobe's Downloads page, but clicking the link results in a "Not Found" error.

[EDIT] Found the Photoshop CS6 13.0.2 updater on Adobe's FTP server:

Adobe Photoshop 13.0.2 Update for Mac
ftp://ftp.adobe.com//pub/adobe/photo...13_0_2_upd.dmg

Last edited by WICKEDfour; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Added Photoshop 13.0.2 update link.
WICKEDfour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:14 AM   #13
bizzaregood
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to bizzaregood
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKEDfour View Post
Adobe Illustrator 16.0.3 Update for Mac
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5524
The Adobe Illustrator 16.0.3 update adds support for HiDPI Retina Displays and provides several other stability fixes.

The Photoshop update is listed on Adobe's Downloads page, but clicking the link results in a "Not Found" error.

[EDIT] Found the Photoshop CS6 13.0.2 updater on Adobe's FTP server:

Adobe Photoshop 13.0.2 Update for Mac
ftp://ftp.adobe.com//pub/adobe/photo...13_0_2_upd.dmg
Illustrator link worked. Photoshop updater says its not applicable to me. They haven't should up in the adobe updater.... Im confused
bizzaregood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:30 AM   #14
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
If only I had a retina MBP to utilize the new update...
Believe me, you're better off without it...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Exponent
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odfr1end102 View Post
WhaddaYouMean? I've been using the 15" rMBP for 5+ months now, and love it!

I drive it in full resolution mode, and it's like having a Cinema Display on a laptop. I finally have the screen real-estate I need to to all kinds of multiple-window, multiple-program engineering work.
Exponent is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:09 AM   #16
JavaTheHut
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponent View Post

I drive it in full resolution mode, and it's like having a Cinema Display on a laptop. I finally have the screen real-estate I need to to all kinds of multiple-window, multiple-program engineering work.
How do you have more screen real estate by having a 15" with higher res.? You need a larger screen or second monitor for more screen real estate. Or are you working with tiny little icons and tiny little text etc. sharp resolution but small?
JavaTheHut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:13 AM   #17
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaTheHut View Post
How do you have more screen real estate by having a 15" with higher res.? You need a larger screen or second monitor for more screen real estate. Or are you working with tiny little icons and tiny little text etc. sharp resolution but small?
Screen inches are not real-estate. 1280x800 is 1280x800 whether it's on a 13" screen or a huge hulking 19" monitor. The same content will be displayed on both, you won't fit more text on screen, as text size is mostly fixed to pixel count.

Real-estate comes from upped pixel counts. Running a 2880x1800 screen in normal mode instead of HiDPI mode (which would be 1440x900 points over 2880x1800 pixels) gives you much more room to display things, albeit, they'll all look smaller.

I personally run my 15" rMBP in 1920x1200 scaled mode. I think it's just perfect really.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:39 AM   #18
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Why?
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:35 AM   #19
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why?
Long story short: ghosting, overheating, dead pixels, bending aluminum frame (and no I did not sit on it), right-hand ports dead (sd card slot, HDMI and usb 3.0), loose/falling screws...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponent View Post

I haven't been as fortunate...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeagain? View Post
Doesn't mean I don't want one...
True, true
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:36 AM   #20
Dreamer2go
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Long story short: ghosting, overheating, dead pixels, bending aluminum frame (and no I did not sit on it), right-hand ports dead (sd card slot, HDMI and usb 3.0), loose/falling screws...

----------

I haven't been as fortunate...

----------

True, true
You do realize that people posting in this forum that have those problem only represents a small majority of total retina MBP users?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:45 AM   #21
INTERNETUAL
macrumors newbie

[QUOTE=g0odfr1end102;16465033]Long story short: ghosting, overheating, dead pixels, bending aluminum frame (and no I did not sit on it), right-hand ports dead (sd card slot, HDMI and usb 3.0), loose/falling screws...[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Two words for you bud, APPLE CARE. Use it, otherwise quit complaining because you're too lazy to get a faulty computer replaced...or...you caused the issues yourself...you have no excuse.
INTERNETUAL is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:26 AM   #22
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
It's called "warranty" buddy.

My rMBP has no ghosting, no overheating, no dead pixels, no bending aluminum and no right hand ports dead, nor loose/falling screws.

On the other hand, I've gone through 5 6th gen iPod Nanos and now on my 2nd 7th gen iPod Nano. Had the screen replaced on my MBA, a faulty fan assembly on my first Unibody MacBook and never managed to get a satisfactory 24" ACD. Yet I'd still recommend some of those products to people. Because there's a WARRANTY.

Now, let's get back to discussing the actual topic rather than your apparent lack of using the warranty as it was meant.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #23
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why?
For professional work a retina display is worthless, youll never reproduce those colors on 99% of the screens ib the world
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:27 PM   #24
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
For professional work a retina display is worthless, youll never reproduce those colors on 99% of the screens ib the world
Retina displays have nothing to do with color. You're talking about IPS displays ?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #25
derbothaus
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Pixel density has nothing to do with color reproduction. They are separate measurements. You don't get more color with a retina screen. You get more color with extended/ wide gamut.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion