Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Fixes Australian Map Error That Caused Police Warning, Issue Traced to Official Gazetteer

A day after police in Victoria, Australia issued a warning to motorists advising them not to rely on Apple Maps for directions to the town of Mildura due to a location error that led several drivers to become stranded in*remote Murray-Sunset National Park, The Guardian reports that Apple has fixed the error.

Purple pin represents actual location of Mildura; red pin represents original incorrect location
The error placed the town of Mildura some 45 miles away from its actual location and led to numerous motorists being stranded. The Victoria police responded by describing using the app to navigate as "potentially life-threatening."

While the label on Apple's maps has not yet been updated to show the correct location of Mildura, searches for and directions to the town now show the proper location.

Interestingly, The Register reports that the error was not entirely Apple's fault, as the incorrect location was included in the official Australian Gazetteer.
Quote:
In this case, the Australian Gazetteer - the authoritative list of 300,000-plus placenames, complete with coordinates - includes two Milduras. One is the "real" town, the other is an entry for "Mildura Rural City", coordinates -34.79724 141.76108. It's this second entry that points to the middle of the Murray-Sunset National Park, just near a spot called Rocket Lake.
The report notes that this second point that Apple was mistakenly associating with searches for Mildura is in fact simply the geographic center of the area included within the Mildura Rural City local government area and thus does not correspond to the actual city of Mildura.

In his recent TV interview with Brian Williams, Tim Cook said that Apple "screwed up" with Maps and was now "putting the entire weight of the company behind correcting it." The company does, however, still have a significant amount of work ahead of it as it tries to catch up with Google's years-long head start.

Article Link: Apple Fixes Australian Map Error That Caused Police Warning, Issue Traced to Official Gazetteer
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

They'd have been stupid not to.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Ouch. Has an app ever been labeled as "life-threatening" before?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Well that was fast.
gmanist1000 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Well that was fast.
Yes, it seems the only way to get apple's attention is to have bad press about an issue.

Ordinary folk like me can ask like crazy without any response at all. Any response would be better than nothing.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
AppleInTheMud
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Well that was fast.
Now they just need the rest of the world... The Maps App is useless and must be thrown in the garbage.

Even where flyover and 3D works it looks crapy.

Back to Google Maps. They even have pavements and small forrest routes on there maps in the smallest cities.
AppleInTheMud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
kaniSS
macrumors newbie

Even without apple maps those idiot Aussies would of ended up in the middle of no where. Australians in general are bad drivers, I'm surprised they didn't even notice they where on the wrong goat track.
kaniSS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
SoGood
macrumors regular

Just shows how tedious mapping data is.
SoGood is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Gmail service restored on Monday, Facebook is back online today, and Apple fixes directions in AU.

End of world averted.
shurcooL is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 PM   #10
annirowe
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to annirowe Send a message via Skype™ to annirowe
Don't get too excited.. The rest of Australia is still incorrect.

They are still using the central location of the Council/Shire as the pointer. so whenever a town name is the same as a Shire name, you still get the problem..

I just tested Whittlesea which is the Shire I live in, but also contains the town of Whittlesea, and its completely wrong...
annirowe is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by annirowe View Post
Not just Australia. Dunedin, NZ (east coast) was correct. Dunedin Airport, on the other hand, was way out on the west coast (and partially in the sea). Reported to Apple, so Apple moved it.

It's now somehow jammed into the city centre
Nermal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:58 AM   #12
theanimaster
macrumors 6502

Quote:

They are still using the central location of the Council/Shire as the pointer. so whenever a town name is the same as a Shire name, you still get the problem..

I just tested Whittlesea which is the Shire I live in, but also contains the town of Whittlesea, and its completely wrong...
Take that Bilbo and Frodo Baggins!
theanimaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:26 AM   #13
asweatman
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Agree, this needs a complete system review rather than looking at each council in isolation, just remove the council references and it would be fixed, the councils references server no useful purpose.
asweatman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #14
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
One mistake fixed, millions to go.
justperry is offline   47 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 AM   #15
warwickharry
macrumors newbie

Still broken Apple, they haven't fixed anything. Mildura is still in the wrong spot!
warwickharry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
One mistake fixed, millions to go.
One hater fixed, millions to go
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:42 PM   #17
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Just fixing this error is not enough, Apple. You guys need to fix your whole Map database as quickly as possible, and bring Google Maps back as an interim solution while you people figure out the problems. Lots of angry customers are switching to other platforms because of this, but I am still sticking around because I expect you guys to fix it very soon.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:20 AM   #18
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
Just fixing this error is not enough, Apple. You guys need to fix your whole Map database as quickly as possible, and bring Google Maps back as an interim solution .
Maps.google.com is totally accessible via safari
charlituna is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Lots of angry customers are switching to other platforms because of this, but I am still sticking around because I expect you guys to fix it very soon.
"Lots?" Define lots. I don't see iOS users abandoning in droves. Hasn't the iPhone 5 boosted Apples marketplace for this quarter, indicating that people are in fact switching to the iPhone 5 from Android?

It's funny how a survey done showed something like 3/4 of iOS6 customers were "satisfied" with maps. Don't let the general press and blog community fool you into thinking that they resemble the voice of the majority. Most of the time it's a very loud and vocal minority who simply get heard over the vast majority of satisfied people. People who are always angry and nitpicky make the most noise, not people who are satisfied with their phone and instead just focus on using it rather than poking holes through it.

I'm not saying Apples maps aren't flawed and in need of serious work. But only a minority have ACTUALLY experienced real problems while USING it in the real world. People in Australia being among them. But they aren't the majority of the 500 million iOS users. In Florida, I have yet to experience any issue, and I haven't heard a single friend complain. I've even discovered new stores that weren't in GMaps due to Yelp integration. It's a shame the GREAT things in Maps get thrown aside for all the negativity and sensationalism.
Millah is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:41 AM   #20
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
"Lots?" Define lots. I don't see iOS users abandoning in droves. Hasn't the iPhone 5 boosted Apples marketplace for this quarter, indicating that people are in fact switching to the iPhone 5 from Android?

It's funny how a survey done showed something like 3/4 of iOS6 customers were "satisfied" with maps. Don't let the general press and blog community fool you into thinking that they resemble the voice of the majority. Most of the time it's a very loud and vocal minority who simply get heard over the vast majority of satisfied people. People who are always angry and nitpicky make the most noise, not people who are satisfied with their phone and instead just focus on using it rather than poking holes through it.

I'm not saying Apples maps aren't flawed and in need of serious work. But only a minority have ACTUALLY experienced real problems while USING it in the real world. People in Australia being among them. But they aren't the majority of the 500 million iOS users. In Florida, I have yet to experience any issue, and I haven't heard a single friend complain. I've even discovered new stores that weren't in GMaps due to Yelp integration. It's a shame the GREAT things in Maps get thrown aside for all the negativity and sensationalism.
It's Antennagate all over again.

Step 1: Find a minor problem that exists in all similar products, that most users don't encounter.
Step 2: Write lots of articles about it online and in the press. Because it's Apple, it gets an inordinate amount of attention.
Step 3: Get the television media involved, because they're slow and only get their news from newspapers already in a panic.
Step 4: Get as many customers as possible to do something they'd never do in order to encounter the minor problem, making the problem appear widespread.
Step 5: Force Apple to apologize publicly, then criticize them for using reality as a defense.
Step 6: Get the fandroids to never shut up about it, and badmouth the Apple product everywhere on the internet.
Step 7: ???
Step 8: Apple still sells more of the product than they've ever sold before, since overall it's a superior product for most users in most situations.

Last edited by mrxak; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
mrxak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:00 AM   #21
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
In Germany iOS has a marketshare of 19% (90% in 2008), Android 69% - and here you don't need market-research to see that people change towards Android. You just see it everyday on the streets. I actually don't know anybody switching towards iOS.
Attached Images

Monkeydude is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:46 AM   #22
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
bring Google Maps back as an interim solution while you people figure out the problems.
If nobody used Apple maps, the problems would not be identified and eventually fixed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Of course they respond quickly to a PR hit.

Now - if everyone with a problem with the map could get an article published with a scary headline - Apple Maps will be as good as gold.
Unfortunately, it looks like it will take awhile to approach google maps accuracy (if ever).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishticks View Post
SIRI - not working
iMessages - often not working
Facetime - not working
MAPS - not working
iCloud - not working

now when i pull out my iPhone 4S when people around have a Note II or an S III, i feel embarassed, just as if I was pulling out a blackberry or some years old motorola.
It's your money and choice. If you like the other phones, get one instead and sell your 4S.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainKing View Post
Try searching for things in Lowestoft, England.. Nothing is where it's suppose to be and lots of things simply don't come up. It's pathetic.
Apple maps seem to work best in the US and have the most issues in the UK.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:49 AM   #23
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Apple maps seem to work best in the US and have the most issues in the UK.
Apple maps have the most issues anywhere outside of US.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:37 AM   #24
lkrupp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Lots of angry customers are switching to other platforms because of this, but I am still sticking around because I expect you guys to fix it very soon.
Wrong. Sales figures show otherwise. And other map apps are available so why would "Lots of angry customers" pay tons of money to break contracts and switch? It's a made up fantasy. Just because you want this to be true doesn't mean it is. Please read other posts which indicate Google Maps aren't that accurate either.
lkrupp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #25
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Just fixing this error is not enough, Apple. You guys need to fix your whole Map database as quickly as possible, and bring Google Maps back as an interim solution while you people figure out the problems. Lots of angry customers are switching to other platforms because of this, but I am still sticking around because I expect you guys to fix it very soon.
you do realize they are working on it, right? It will take time. Also, your phone has this wonderful thing called the internet...check it out. It has maps. Not to mention there is a mapquest app that does turn by turn.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
No. Because nobody I know actually uses the Find Your Friends app.
I try, but it never works for me. Not sure why.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion