Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have a mid-2010 iMac with a 256GB ssd and a 2 TB secondary drive (internal.)

I'm thinking about the 3TB fusion drive, but worried that I'll "miss" that extra 128gb of SSD space. I know the fusion doesn't work quite the same way, but still wish there was a fusion option of 256SSD + 3GB HHD ...

Would love your thoughts/opinions/thanks!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
That's a step backwards.I think you could set up your own "fusion" if you like, with what you have, even if you upgrade your normal drive to 3tb. Google it and see..

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry, not sure I understand. WHICH is a step backward?

Basically, I'm wondering if I should get the new iMac, but I don't want to spend thousands if it's going to be SLOWER/the same speed as my mid-2010

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
It depends a bit on your usage, but its unlikely to be much of a difference speed-wise.

The Fusion drive has the advantage of not requiring any management in terms of shuffling your data between SSD and HDD. It's all one volume and frequently accessed data gets prioritized automatically. Whereas the SSD/HDD requires manual management of what goes where (which may be a plus if you have very specific needs).

It's also worth noting that you can create your own Fusion drive on your own. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/more-on-fusion-drive-how-it-works-and-how-to-roll-your-own/

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
It just seems that 128 is fairly small.

Like I said, I have a 2012 iMac and I have the 256 ssd option, and it's pretty much filled up at this point.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry, not sure I understand. WHICH is a step backward?

Moving to a smaller size SSD. Pure SSD vs Fusion with only 128 ssd will be noticeable.

You need to start moving some of your data onto the hard drive and upo that if necessary. Or even open it up and use a 512 SSD. The 2012 will be faster and up to date overall, but it depends more on the rest of your and the new imac specs comparison. And then there is the cost issues .....

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Right. So what's a 2010 iMac user to do, that bought a 256 ssd + 2TB drive?

HunterMaximus

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Toronto, ON, Canada
Right. So what's a 2010 iMac user to do, that bought a 256 ssd + 2TB drive?

I would strongly consider turning your current set up into a Fusion drive. It's done with software only; you just need a backup drive to save and restore your data from (which you should have anyway). That way you can test whether Fusion meets your needs, and you may find that you're happy with your current iMac for a while longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.