Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Lets say someone was going to spend $500 on you for Christmas, but you didn't know what you wanted. I was leaning towards things for my iMac or iPhone, such as speakers possibly.

Even though I was leaning towards things for my Mac, they really could be anything, so suggestions are highly welcomed!

RobinHood5

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2012
Lets say someone was going to spend $500 on you for Christmas, but you didn't know what you wanted. I was leaning towards things for my iMac or iPhone, such as speakers possibly.

Even though I was leaning towards things for my Mac, they really could be anything, so suggestions are highly welcomed!

I agree, speakers. Bose companion 5.

Ipad mini.

Custom built windows gaming machine.

Flat screen tv

Secondary monitor for imac

Who knows?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I agree, speakers. Bose companion 5.

Ipad mini.

Custom built windows gaming machine.

Flat screen tv

Secondary monitor for imac

Who knows?

Thanks for the reply. I have some decent 2.1 Logitech soeakers, but I was looking for some that matched the iMac well too. I have looked at a lot and Bose definitely has a classy look.

I have an Xbox and if I was going to custom build a PC I would spend at least a grand. Lol.

I have a pretty nice 47" LG flat screen already, so I won't need that.

I do have a lot of nice things already, but hey, it's Christmas.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
If someone wants to spend some money on you, might as well get something you can wear almost daily. Get a nice pair of Alden Cordovan Boots. Link.
cj1.jpg

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
You could pay my rent for a month :D

External storage? Macally has some nice Mac-looking external enclosures that you could use with an internal drive.

Maybe look into a NAS setup?

An iPad could work.

PS3? Wii U?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
If someone wants to spend some money on you, might as well get something you can wear almost daily. Get a nice pair of Alden Cordovan Boots. Link.
cj1.jpg

That is a mighty fine looking pair of shoes, but oh my god, look at that price!

You could pay my rent for a month :D

External storage? Macally has some nice Mac-looking external enclosures that you could use with an internal drive.

Maybe look into a NAS setup?

An iPad could work.

PS3? Wii U?

Yeah, maybe a NAS setup. I really want the Cal Digit T2 but it isn't out yet..

Like I said, I have an Xbox 360, so other systems aren't really needed. Also I've owned an iPad before and sold it because it got little to no use.

Thank you for the replies though! It's money that needs to be spent!

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I'd toss in another $100 or so and pick up a refurbished MacBook Air :D. Or an iPad Mini and various accessories and/or an AppleTV to go with your HDTV.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Lets say someone was going to spend $500 on you for Christmas...

I'd recommend 24 shares of Intel stock.
It pays .90 / quarter on dividends. That's a $64.8 a year.

Let's pretend you are 25 years old. That single $500 investment ( not accounting for splits ) could/should yield about $31,113 when you retire at 65 and pull it out... or you could give it to your great granddaughter when she's born, she could retire with about $42 million in the bank. All from a single gift.

Just thinking out loud....

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I'd toss in another $100 or so and pick up a refurbished MacBook Air :D. Or an iPad Mini and various accessories and/or an AppleTV to go with your HDTV.

Hmm? An iPod? Maybe a new case for your iPhone? Then use the rest to blow on through the next couple months ;)

Hmm I have an an iPod, iPhone, iMac, Xbox 360, LG 47" LCD, Canon DSLR and L lenses, Pro Audio Equipment, Lighting and much more.

So I already have a good amount of stuff, but like I said it needs to be spent. So it could be anything from Apple related or something completely different or even things you want or asked for this year.

cmafra

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
how about donate to someone that really needs?

Worldvision has plenty of kids starving around the world and many other organizations would also do great good with the $

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
If you like photography, you could get a nice DSLR like a Nikon D3200 for $100 dollars more. You could get an external hard drive for your Mac. Any accessories for your Mac.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
If you don't have a second monitor for your iMac, get it. It makes using a computer 3x as good.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Since you didn't specify needing anything, and stated that it didn't have to be something Apple... I say five of these.

savpatriotbondsample.jpg

I get where you are coming from but man it is ridiculous to read everything you have and then say it is money that needs to be spent.

Last edited:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

Save it in a rainy day fund?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
* Start or contribute to a Roth IRA.

* Donate it to Charity: St. Baldricks, Susan B. Komen, American Red Cross, JDRF are a few of my favs

* Give it to your church

* Donate it to a local school

* Create holiday care packages for deployed soldiers

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Guys, guys, I get that it's good to help charities and non-profits, but I'm just stating what I have to work with.

The person (a parent) who is doing Christmas shopping this year informed that they will spend $500 on me.

They want me to open things on Christmas because it makes them happy, thus, I need to pick out some items very soon.

Yes, I have really nice things, but I am thankful for each of those things, all of which I have paid for myself.

Now someone wants to buy me gifts and I just need some ideas to give them.

Hopefully this all makes sense now.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Guys, guys, I get that it's good to help charities and non-profits, but I'm just stating what I have to work with.

The person (a parent) who is doing Christmas shopping this year informed that they will spend $500 on me.

They want me to open things on Christmas because it makes them happy, thus, I need to pick out some items very soon.

Yes, I have really nice things, but I am thankful for each of those things, all of which I have paid for myself.

Now someone wants to buy me gifts and I just need some ideas to give them.

Visa gift card, best gift ever!

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA

Important computer accessories:
(you could get all these with 500 bucks)
(I'll just give you a link to the ones that I have)

Shure SE 215K Headphones- http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...8&qid=1355808289&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+se215k

2tb External HD- http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Port...F8&qid=1355808348&sr=8-1&keywords=my+passport

Nice bag- http://www.jackspade.com/messenger-...369_color=310&start=7&cgid=bags-computer-bags

Apple TV- for mirroring, airplay, etc

Other things:
-Do you have a flat screen 1080P TV already? If not, put it towards on of those.

You could also get a decent surround sound system for 500 bucks if you already have a TV. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S8409-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B005EP2HMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

Other good things that you could get for $500 are
- new stereo system/speakers for your car
- a bike
- ipad/ipad mini/nexus 10/nexus 7
- a suit (probably not a great suit for $500)
- a piece of furniture, such as a coffee table
- a set of kitchen knives (check out Shun)
- a few bottles of great liquor
- an external monitor
- sports equipment for your favorite sport (new snowboard or skis?)
- tickets to an NFL game

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
I'd recommend 24 shares of Intel stock.
It pays .90 / quarter on dividends. That's a $64.8 a year.

Let's pretend you are 25 years old. That single $500 investment ( not accounting for splits ) could/should yield about $31,113 when you retire at 65

I like the idea, but Intel yields $.90/year, not quarter (which is still a very good 4.4% yield). So it's $21.60 a year from those 24 shares. Not sure where $64.80 came from (that would be three payments of $.90 a year I guess).

I see that you calculated a value 40 years from now based on dividend yield only and got $31k, but unfortunately with the proper 4.4% yield, if it remained constant, you'd end up with just $2,799 in 40 years. Of course, there could be significant capital gains in excess of the dividend yield, or the opposite could happen.

Again, I'm ALL for starting early with investing, and $500 is NOT too little to start, but just wanted to make sure the numbers are correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.