Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'




Continuing the flurry of Apple television rumors in recent days following CEO Tim Cook's brief comments on the topic as part of an interview on Rock Center last week, The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is indeed testing designs for future television set products. The report adds little to existing rumors, but does indicate that work is continuing and keeps the topic fresh in the public's mind.
Quote:
Officials at some of Apple's suppliers, who declined to be named, said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been working on testing a few designs for a large-screen high-resolution TV.

Two people said Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., which assembles the iPhone and iPad, has been collaborating with Japan's Sharp Corp. on the design of the new television.

"It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," said one of the people.
The report notes that Apple has been testing television set prototypes for a number of years and that the company tests many different prototype products that never come to market, making clear that a launch is not imminent and that Apple could ultimately scrap its plans.

Article Link: Apple Testing Television Set Prototypes, 'Isn't a Formal Project Yet'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 AM   #2
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
We want an Apple TV! My television is so old already.
SamGabbay is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
newdeal
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
...

so if they are doing it with Sharp is there a chance this may be a 5mm thick, edge to edge igzo screen using the same welding process as the imac?
newdeal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:50 AM   #4
iDento
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: iCloud Servers
Her we go!

And I'm testing a new "Apple Television Set" bank account!
iDento is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Goldfinger
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belgium
Ultra glossy TV.. No thanks!
Goldfinger is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
It'll never happen.

Apple needs Sharp and Samsung. Instead of hoarding their billions and partnering with these tech leaders, Apple should've been building their own supply chains they themselves could control. Jobs was so proud of Apple's ability to turn over this grunt work to others. His biggest mistake.

Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
Kind of like how it isn't innovative to make a phone call?
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
It'll never happen.

Apple needs Sharp and Samsung. Instead of hoarding their billions and partnering with these tech leaders, Apple should've been building their own supply chains they themselves could control. Jobs was so proud of Apple's ability to turn over this grunt work to others. His biggest mistake.

Besides, there is nothing innovative about getting existing content to display on a TV screen. And if Apple can't dictate what that content is who needs Apple?
So you want Apple to sink their $$ into a low to no margin manufacturing endeavor. That would tank their margins for sure - vertical integration ain't all it is cracked up to be.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 AM   #9
ivladster
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via Skype™ to ivladster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Ultra glossy TV.. No thanks!
You realize with ultra-glossy you get pure black colors, unlike with matt screens where blacks are muted, dark grays.
__________________
Apple's iPhone had me at scrolling
ivladster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:58 AM   #10
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
We want an Apple TV! My television is so old already.
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 5.
RetepNamenots is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:04 AM   #11
perealb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?
perealb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by perealb View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?
I hope this is a small AppleTV sized or Apple mini sized little box that is an HD projector.

That way I can make the picture any size I want and play it anywhere I want.

The controlling part done by iPad, iphone or voice is obvious.

Slam dunk!

First time I'd be waiting in line to get an Apple product!
__________________
It's ready, when it's ready !
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin
Thunderhawks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:49 AM   #13
nekonari
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by perealb View Post
I agree with you 100%. I think they should base their "TV product" on something like a TiVo. It would basically be a TiVo with Siri and Apps. Apple TiVi?
I feel like people are focusing on just the device way too much. Apple will not break into a new industry if they can't innovate the industry itself. When they come out with a TV (not just a box), they'll do so with a new paradigm... They changed music industry (album to digital song model), cell phone industry (less control over devices by carriers), and now TV industry.

I'm very excited to see what Apple can do to this complex and horrendous monster that is TV/cable industry.
nekonari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:31 AM   #14
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
...writes the guy with nine products crossed off his "stuff I own" signature.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
A new model doesn't make an old one obsolete. It annoys me no end when people think like this.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816
 
Nightarchaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
A new model doesn't make an old one obsolete. It annoys me no end when people think like this.
Unless its made by apple, who fail to add new software features to new models to "encourage" people to upgrade, even though the old models are perfectly capable of running the missing "features".

Apple would need to eye a 5 year upgrade cycle, with a 10year feature support on the old models to avoid pissing off all but the most dedicated apple fanboi for the prices apple will likely charge for a TV set.

I have owned three TVs in the last 3 decades, and am just looking at treating myself to a 4th, i know people who are on there 2nd TV set, ever.

My TVs were, a portable TV and shared use of the family TV, then i moved out and got a shiney widescreen 28"CRT, and upgraded that to a "massive 32" 1080i (yes i, not p) TV set, im now looking at jumping to a 50+ inch 1080p passive 3D screen.. and then ill look at super HD in a decades time..

Apples quick turnover of devices does not sit well in the consumer TV world,
__________________
iWatch in action http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploa...ael-Knight.jpg
MacBook Pro/iPad Mini/TV1/iMac/iPhone5
Nightarchaon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:49 AM   #17
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Unless its made by apple, who fail to add new software features to new models to "encourage" people to upgrade, even though the old models are perfectly capable of running the missing "features".

Apple would need to eye a 5 year upgrade cycle, with a 10year feature support on the old models to avoid pissing off all but the most dedicated apple fanboi for the prices apple will likely charge for a TV set.

I have owned three TVs in the last 3 decades, and am just looking at treating myself to a 4th, i know people who are on there 2nd TV set, ever.

My TVs were, a portable TV and shared use of the family TV, then i moved out and got a shiney widescreen 28"CRT, and upgraded that to a "massive 32" 1080i (yes i, not p) TV set, im now looking at jumping to a 50+ inch 1080p passive 3D screen.. and then ill look at super HD in a decades time..

Apples quick turnover of devices does not sit well in the consumer TV world,
I'm just like you with my TV. However, the TV I'm replacing is a non-HDTV rear-projection monstrosity that I got as a hand-me-down. It works fine for now, so I'm holding off to see what Apple brings to the table.

It's a mistake to think there's no market for Apple just because people keep their TVs for a long time. Plenty of iPhone users are still on 3GS. The line at the Apple Store for the latest model doesn't comprise Apple entire user base. I think it's silly to upgrade every year when I signed a two-year contract for the phone. I won't have all the new features: If the iPhone 5S has NFC, then the iPhone 6 will have it, too, and I can wait.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
for good reason to scrap it

it will be a very niche project.

500$ for a phone - yes.

500$ for a tablet - yes.

$2000 for a tv - no.

will anyone here tell me what would be so compelling to buy a $2000+ tv?
What if you can get that $2000 TV for only $599 (with a two year contract for streaming service)?
doelcm82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
A new model doesn't make an old one obsolete. It annoys me no end when people think like this.
It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #19
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3
According to the dictionary, obsolete primarily means it's no longer useable or in use. If it still works and you can use it for its original intended purpose, it's not obsolete. Product upgrades to not make the older models obsolete unless they are no longer useable.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:16 AM   #20
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3
It's main function (PMP) still works doesn't it? I'm sure most other stuff still works on it too. Besides, it's a 5 year old device so what do you expect - 5 years is an eternity in todays tech world. Also it will only cost you 60 to upgrade to 32gb 4th gen (from 32gb 1st gen) if you want to enjoy newer stuff.

I prefer to ride the 'upgrade' wave every year with things like iPods, staying one behind the current gen. Maybe every 3 years with a TV. Keeps you pretty close to the cutting edge and doesn't cost a fortune.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:22 PM   #21
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
An Apple TV would be updated every year like all their other products, making it just as obsolete just as quickly (if not faster)
are you aware that ALL of the tv manufacturers (or audio receiver manufacturers, or...) update their models almost every year? do you rush out and buy the newest year's model? why not? so what makes you think you would do so if it were from apple?

i dont update my apple laptop every year either. nor my car. you hit a price point where you keep it for years, despite improved annual releases.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 AM   #22
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
...writes the guy with nine products crossed off his "stuff I own" signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
are you aware that ALL of the tv manufacturers (or audio receiver manufacturers, or...) update their models almost every year? do you rush out and buy the newest year's model? why not? so what makes you think you would do so if it were from apple?

i dont update my apple laptop every year either. nor my car. you hit a price point where you keep it for years, despite improved annual releases.
Sure, and I don't see anything wrong with always having the latest thing if you're able to afford it, but the poster I was replying to suggested that somehow an Apple TV would be made obsolete slower than today's TVs are.
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 5.
RetepNamenots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #23
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
Sure...
Shoulda added a smiley. I wasn't so much making a contrary point as observing an amusing juxtaposition.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:59 AM   #24
bjm2660
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
We want an Apple TV! My television is so old already.
I want an Oompa Loompa now!
bjm2660 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:04 AM   #25
croooow
macrumors 6502a
 
croooow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
We want an Apple TV! My television is so old already.
It's just a REALLY large iPod touch...
__________________
15" MacBook Pro ● iPad mini ● iPhone 5s
croooow is offline   17 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Testing ARM Based Mac Prototypes with Large Magic Trackpad? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 696 Jun 29, 2014 02:40 PM
Apple Television Set Not Expected Until 2015 or Later, But A7 Apple TV Could Come in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 127 Mar 3, 2014 12:34 PM
Foxconn Reportedly Testing Designs for 46-55 Inch Apple Television Sets MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 223 Dec 30, 2012 11:05 PM
Brightcove CEO Envisions His Dream Apple Television and Set-Top Box MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 248 Dec 21, 2012 10:20 AM
Apple Television Set to Include Motion Sensing Control and Touchscreen Remote? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 83 Jun 11, 2012 09:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC