Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iTunes Store Movie Content Goes Live in 42 New Countries




Earlier this month, we noted that the iTunes Music Store had gone live in 56 new countries, nearly doubling the number of countries with access to the store. At the time, Apple noted in its press release that movies were also being launched in Russia, Turkey, India and Indonesia with "select additional countries" also scheduled to offer the film content.

Beginning earlier today, a number of MacRumors readers began reporting that movies had gone live in their countries, and AppleInsider has compiled a list of 42 new countries where movies are now available.

- Europe: Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine

- Africa, the Middle East and India: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Botswana, Cape Verde, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Swaziland, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, Zimbabwe

- Asia Pacific: Micronesia, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

- Latin America and the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago

The new additions mean that just ten of the 56 countries that added music content earlier this month have yet to begin offering movies. Those countries include: Barbados, Bermuda, Burkina Faso, Fiji, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, and Uzbekistan.

Article Link: iTunes Store Movie Content Goes Live in 42 New Countries
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Christian 5G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian 5G
Awesome

Can I access other country's app stores from ios device?
Christian 5G is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
__________________
Click here for the iPhone 5 iOS 6.0 Jailbreak!
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 , 2.2 GHz Quad i7, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM, Anti-Glare
iPhone 5 32gb
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Probably the people who live outside those countries?
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
42 new countries care.
gmanist1000 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
zukernik
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimediawill View Post
honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from us, uk, or aus.
'MURICAH, f yeah!
__________________
64GB White iPhone 5
64GB Black iPad 4G
MacBook Pro with Retina Display
zukernik is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
The Bulge
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Up your ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
About this post no one cares.
The Bulge is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
About this post no one cares.
Master Yoda?
keysofanxiety is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Schmitty11
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
People like you are to blame to most of the world's problems. If it doesn't effect you, you don't care. What a shame.
Schmitty11 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Probably the people who live outside those countries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
42 new countries care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukernik View Post
'MURICAH, f yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bulge View Post
About this post no one cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty11 View Post
People like you are to blame to most of the world's problems. If it doesn't effect you, you don't care. What a shame.
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 PM   #11
writingdevil
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.
The original post seems to fall into the category of a mindset of a lot of this country (including my Grandpa) that their world view ends when you reach the East or West coast...there's really nothing out there, and I know a few whose world ends at their city limits. And then an explainer-in-chief taking time to quote six other posts to enlighten the public on somebody else's mind set? If that isn't my long suffering Grandma defending Gramps I'd be totally surprised, except neither uses a computer.
writingdevil is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries.
I don't speak english, french is my primary language. I just happened to learn english at school, then watching USA, english-Canadian and UK TV shows. I als0 l3arned engl1sh by r3ad1ng 0n th3 1ntern3t.
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:37 PM   #13
0815
macrumors 65816
 
0815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.
1. I think you are wrong about the 1% ...Dont have any data to backup of how many, but people outside of the US learn foreign languages and most learn english and the US news sites are big resource of info even for people not living in the US. (I know tons of people outside the US that read macrumors)

2. Even people in the US should care about the success of an American company and how it is spreading around the world making money

3. Can't people just be happy for others to enjoy what they already enjoyed for years? Don't be too occupied with your own problems. I am always happy to hear about the success of a company, even if it does not effect me directly.
__________________
sent from my computer
0815 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:11 PM   #14
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all english speaking, therefore most of us live in english speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.
Wow !! You just beat the other guy in dumbness quotient . hats off
iLoveiTunes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:50 AM   #15
SpiderDude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal, Europe
Not necessarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
In this posters defense... I'm sure he just meant who cares here on MacRumors. Because we are all English speaking, therefore most of us live in English speaking countries. this is important for apple, and important for the many people that live in those countries, but you and I as individuals it doesn't really affect. I would think that out of all active MR posters MAYBE 1% are from any of those 42 countries.
I speak and understand English, but I live in Portugal, where English is not the main language and I do enjoy watching movies with other people and don't like to act as self centered prick telling people "What's the problem with English subs?"

So yeah, I'm the 0.1 percent. ahah
__________________
Mac'on
SpiderDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM   #16
GenesisST
macrumors 65816
 
GenesisST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I live
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Well, there's Canada for one, which has 13 millions more than AUS... And Deutschland, France, España, Italia, Österreich, just to stay in the first world...

Sheeessh...
__________________
Kenmore microwave, Frigidaire oven, Fisher & Paykel fridge, LG washer & Dryer and Crane toilet
GenesisST is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #17
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Ya, I know you are a rich European descent. You have a lot of Apple toys.
apple-win is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:55 PM   #18
dumell
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Actually, those countries make up 61% of Macrumors' users:
http://www.quantcast.com/macrumors.com#!countries
dumell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:13 PM   #19
dove
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I just wish they would add subtitles in more languages. The current situation is particularly annoying when you're (living) abroad and you want to watch a movie with someone whose English isn't very good.

I know. I know. This affects few people. Still, it's annoying and particularly so because this seems like it would be relatively easy to fix for the powers that be!
dove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:24 PM   #20
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove View Post
I just wish they would add subtitles in more languages. The current situation is particularly annoying when you're (living) abroad and you want to watch a movie with someone whose English isn't very good.

I know. I know. This affects few people. Still, it's annoying and particularly so because this seems like it would be relatively easy to fix for the powers that be!
If Apple adds subtites in the video file, can I turn it off?
I like DVD and Blu-ray, I can turn subtitle on or off, my choice.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:13 PM   #21
jacodb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
I care. I'm from South Africa, we got the music store last week and the movie store today (with very limited content). We had no legal way of buying movies and very crappy music stores like Nokia's Ovi store which doesn't work on Apple devices. So the stores launching locally is a very big Christmas present to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
How many people can seriously afford iTunes movies in most of the places mentioned?

Take Zimbabwe, for instance; the poverty rate there is 80% relative. Probably 99% in practicality.
We'll President Mugabe and the thugs in his government. Now at least they don't have to tax their poor countrymen further to death to go to Hong Kong to go and stock up on DVDs or Blue Rays to keep them occupied.
jacodb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Mad Man
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Honestly, who cares? 99% of us are from US, UK, or AUS.
Just because nobody cares about you does not mean that people in general don't care about other people.
Mad Man is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 AM   #23
peeeter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Subtitles

Nice to see that Apple is expanding geographic coverage ... but in order to be successful in new countries they need to provide movies with subtitles in local languages.
peeeter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:37 AM   #24
-RJ-
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeeter View Post
Nice to see that Apple is expanding geographic coverage ... but in order to be successful in new countries they need to provide movies with subtitles in local languages.
And provide iTunes Match / iTunes in the Cloud.. Features still missing in Scandinavia
-RJ- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:40 AM   #25
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
The MPAA and other related groups must be crying that they had to make these deals. So many people can have access to see their product, now.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes in the Cloud for Movies Goes Live in Japan and 7 New European Countries MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 40 Aug 14, 2013 08:59 PM
'Temple Run: Oz' Movie Tie-In Goes Live on App Store MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 21 Jun 6, 2013 04:16 AM
iTunes in the Cloud for Movies Goes Live in 11 New European Countries, Also for TV Shows in France MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 42 Feb 28, 2013 12:27 PM
iTunes Music Store Launches in 56 New Countries, Movies Arrive in Four MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 92 Dec 5, 2012 10:36 AM
Paid iBookstore Content Going Live in New Zealand and 17 Latin American Countries MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 34 Oct 23, 2012 09:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC