Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Recently I've been trying to get rid of Flash completely - for the most part this is no problem, with the one exception of YouTube.

Other people have reported that opting into the HTML5 trial increased playback performance significantly when compared to flash, especially on slower hardware.

When HTML5 is enabled I am having a complete slideshow - it's not even really possible to scroll down the page. I'm pretty confused seeming as I'm running a 1.67GHz PB G4 with 2GB. Browser is Aurora (WebM + H.264 supported).

After some further reading, it tries to default to WebM on Firefox, which has terrible performance on PPC. After a bit of searching I discovered you can switch to H.264 by going about:config and disabling WebM from in there. H.264 appears to perform even worse though, which is unfortunate.

Any clues?

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
I have had similar experience, HTML5 is not smoothier than Flash on PowerPC, sometimes it feels that it is actually slower. However, there exists software like YouView and Mactubes which allow you to play YouTube -videos full screen by using Quicktime. I've read that there are also some plugins to allow playing YouTube -videos by using similar style but in browser without the need to launch dedicated application, never tried them myself.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Leopard Webkit

the standalone app, not the system wide install, is your friend. That, and the Click to Plugin extension. Don't get confused with the Click to Flash extension. Play with the settings in Click to Plugin, I use quicktime for everything, and I don't fall back to flash. When you visit a youtube page, instead of flash suddenly loading and playing you'll we greeted by a QT in a box, click on that, and it will launch the video in a standalone player. You'll also have a box in the upper lefthand corner of the video window that will give you different resolution options. Its the shizzy.

Alternatively, or if you just hate Safari/Webkit, you can use viewtube, a Greasemonkey (or Scriptish) extension in Aurorafox. Again, in viewtube you must set everything to quicktime, LD MP4's, and Auto select plugin. On my considereably less powerful ibook G4 1.07 ghz I have no issues, none whatsoever playing back 360p. There is a slight bug in Tenfourfox/Auroafox where the video starts to play but there is no image. Moving the slider down then back up corrects that issue. You should be able to achieve better than 360p on your Powerbook, but I'd say if you absolutely have to have HD, buy a dual processor......something. Now that Coreplayer is dead and gone we don't really have an HD option on PPC macs.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been browser hopping a bit today and have finally settled on Stainless (for the time being :D). But I agree, the clicktoflash and Quicktime add-ons are great!

For the most part, YouTube is the only site I visit which actually uses flash (ads are blocked, and I don't visit any other flash sites) - so I guess I'm happy to continue using it just for that. Stainless is really nippy though - definitely worth a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.