Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
uvmskier
macrumors newbie

Woman Tased at Apple Store

I found this article in a local newspaper. The Apple store in Nashua, NH is my preferred Apple store for any significant purchases thanks to no sales tax. Apple version of "don't tase me bro"...

http://m.wmur.com/news/Language-barr...0/-/index.html
uvmskier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Too bad Siri doesn't have Google Translate. ;-)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm not sure, but it seems we're not getting the full story.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

Very unfortunate, i understand not allowing her to buy the iPhones but everything else was unnecessary
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
uvmskier
macrumors newbie

Maybe Apple will put the translation app that they have in the commercials into the demo versions of the iPhones in the stores just in case of emergency.
uvmskier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

I don't understand why an unarmed WOMAN was tased. I can understand if she was armed and threatening other people, but really. Tasing an unarmed woman? How brave.
sk1wbw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

I loves me a good tasing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 AM   #8
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
I don't understand why an unarmed WOMAN was tased. I can understand if she was armed and threatening other people, but really. Tasing an unarmed woman? How brave.
Actually, we women can be just as dangerous, when unarmed, as men are. I have to agree with Jessica, I don't think we're getting the whole story.
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:24 AM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Here's a post in the comments section of theregister: "I live in China. You see, here, people who can afford iPhones are rich. Security mall officers never do anything here. They sit around. They have no power. They are treated like dogs, and are called that way by many young childrens and adults alike.

Rich people are usually pushy, talk loudly, and have no manners when in public. They will quite literally elbow you out in line, talk at the top of their voice on their cell phone, park their car in front of yours and therefore making you stuck there, or park it in front of the only exit. Their lack of civility is extraordinary. These things I see everyday, I just need to look out the window or take a walk. How could a rich little strumpet like that lose face to a security mall officer? Impossible. How could she kowtow? Impossible. Way too proud and arrogant. I see her type every day here. Flouting the law is quite normal in China. These little strumpets always believe they can get away with everything because in China they do through bribery in those extreme cases...

Welcome to America, where when a police officer tells you to walk away, you better fricking believe that you should shut the hell up and do as told. Welcome to America, where stores employees will often try to follow the rules and the law. I would like to buy that officer a beer. Seeing one of these uncivilized (whatever the nationality) little strumpets, who never follow the rules, is usually rude, has no civility or manners finally get what she or he deserves feels very good."

So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops. "She says she couldn't understand the language" and "she couldn't understand the language" is not the same. And if a police officer tries to get you out of a store, you don't really need to understand any language at all.

It would be common sense that when you go to any foreign country you assume that the rules might be different than at home. Not leaving the store when the cops try to get you out is stupid (unless you are in a place where you know exactly how things work, and you know what you do is fine).

That said, I think a tazer should be used in one case only: When use of possibly lethal force would be justified, but a tazer can achieve the same goal without (if you're not out of luck) causing injury, without affecting the police officer and so on. If she resisted for an hour, I think they should have worked patiently until she was removed, then charge accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymansDomain View Post
I wonder how much she resisted before the cops tased her?
According to what I read, a cop managed to get _one_ handcuff on her after a ten minute struggle, and didn't manage to get a second handcuff on her within another five minutes. That's fifteen minutes struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
I bet its to do with race on this occasion. Sounds like it is to me.
I'd think that after a fifteen minute struggle race doesn't matter very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
The _why_ is easy: Fifteen minute struggle to get her out of the store, without success. Not that it makes use of a tazer justified, but it would explain it.

Last edited by gnasher729; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:48 AM   #10
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

If she is able to sell iPhone 5 in China, Apple should make her China Sales lead. May be she can help Apple come out of a dud-launch.
iphoneclassic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #11
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Here's a post in the comments section of theregister: "I live in China. You see, here, people who can afford iPhones are rich. Security mall officers never do anything here. They sit around. They have no power. They are treated like dogs, and are called that way by many young childrens and adults alike.

Rich people are usually pushy, talk loudly, and have no manners when in public. They will quite literally elbow you out in line, talk at the top of their voice on their cell phone, park their car in front of yours and therefore making you stuck there, or park it in front of the only exit. Their lack of civility is extraordinary. These things I see everyday, I just need to look out the window or take a walk. How could a rich little strumpet like that lose face to a security mall officer? Impossible. How could she kowtow? Impossible. Way too proud and arrogant. I see her type every day here. Flouting the law is quite normal in China. These little strumpets always believe they can get away with everything because in China they do through bribery in those extreme cases...

Welcome to America, where when a police officer tells you to walk away, you better fricking believe that you should shut the hell up and do as told. Welcome to America, where stores employees will often try to follow the rules and the law. I would like to buy that officer a beer. Seeing one of these uncivilized (whatever the nationality) little strumpets, who never follow the rules, is usually rude, has no civility or manners finally get what she or he deserves feels very good."

So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops. "She says she couldn't understand the language" and "she couldn't understand the language" is not the same. And if a police officer tries to get you out of a store, you don't really need to understand any language at all.

It would be common sense that when you go to any foreign country you assume that the rules might be different than at home. Not leaving the store when the cops try to get you out is stupid (unless you are in a place where you know exactly how things work, and you know what you do is fine).

That said, I think a tazer should be used in one case only: When use of possibly lethal force would be justified, but a tazer can achieve the same goal without (if you're not out of luck) causing injury, without affecting the police officer and so on. If she resisted for an hour, I think they should have worked patiently until she was removed, then charge accordingly.
What he said is true. I'm Chinese myself, born in HK. A lot of Chinese from mainland China have no manners at all, because there are just too many people, they go out of their way to get what they want or they will lose out. Also, alot of them are not well educated. Just before the Beijing Olympics, there are commercials shown in China teaching their citizens how to line up, that's how bad they are.

If you can afford to buy several iPhones, the money most likely comes from corruption because the "average" citizen makes around US$400 per month.

Cops don't do much other than serious crimes in China and that depends on who the victim is, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ignored cops in the states.
heehee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
Cops don't do much other than serious crimes in China and that depends on who the victim is, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ignored cops in the states.
I heard something similar from someone I know from China. He said that the police in China are for the most part unarmed and are unable to force people to do anything. He also said that the police are slapped, spit on, etc. and not held in high regard.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:26 PM   #13
flameproof
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
So Chinese citizens don't seem to mind if a rich Chinese woman is tazered.I find it interesting that someone who is quite capable of buying two phones in the USA loses all ability to speak the language when confronted with some cops.
In China there is zero sympathy for the rich, and usually spoiled that break rules as they please.

And yes, to buy an iPhone you need some language skills. It's not a supermarket were you put them in your trolley. You need to tell them quantity, version (how many mb) and color.

From another report I read/heard that she was already ask to leave the store a few days earlier. Obviously the store had to put in a tougher line. A presume also that the tried quite a bit to ask her to go before the called the police. And when somebody gives you a stern look and points to the exit you will understand the meaning - no matter what language was used.
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion