Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustinB85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Okay so I wouldn't really say it was a failure but I had my stock 640 gb hd in my quad core 2009 Mac Pro go corrupt and stopped booting on me. I have a 2gb time capsule and a 2gb Synology NAT diskstation for backups so I decided to just wipe the HD clean and will restore just the files I need for now. I had an old 74gb WD raptor HD laying around so I threw ML back on there so I could at least boot the computer back up. This gives me push to upgrade a few things since I have to restore everything anyways. I bought a few basic things to start which will be here tomorrow. Here is list so far,

OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4
Apricorn Velocity Solo x1
WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB

The main use for this computer is video editing/some web and photo design I have taken this up in the last year as a hobby. I mainly work with Adobe software (Premiere Pro/After Effects/Speedgrade/lightroom etc). I have the creative cloud so I do have all of Adobe CS6 and have been learning it bit by bit. I do use Apple motion and aperture some. I shoot video with just a Canon T4i DSLR camera for now so nothing crazy.

I bought the 256 SSD for my boot and app drive and I planned on keeping my files on 2 internal WD Black 1 TB in a RAID 0 (2TB total). I still have the time capsule and disk station for now as my back up. I'll change that once I need too. I'll also just keep the 640gb and 74gb internal in case I need them.

So I think I am set for now as far as storage I can expand when I need too. I plan to just end up with 4tb internal and then move to raid enclosures down the road as I need.

I have both my graphics card and ram really holding me back right now. I have only 8gb of ram right now (2gb x 4). So should I upgrade to 24gb (8 x 3) or will 32 (8 x 4) really make that much of an impact for what I am doing? I have always been under the impression you don't gain much performance after a certain point if the software doesn't take advantage of it.

So should the RAM be my next move and is there something I should really switch up with my plan as it stands right now.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Dustin

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
32GB of RAM made a night-and-day improvement for me, and I'm using CS5.5 and CS6 on a 2009 Mac Pro with the 5,1 firmware update and 6-core CPU, along with the 5870. Before, I had 16GB, and it wasn't enough. After Effects and Premiere use up to 29GB when I use them together.

DustinB85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
I just ordered 32GB of OWC Ram yesterday. After looking into into it I could see where it is borderline even at 24GB and since the cost really wasn't that much more I went with the 32. Never realized how much adobe really needed and used.

Now I have a 256GB SSD running all my apps/boot drive. Read/Write is around 350 with the Apricorn Velocity Solo x1 installed.

I also have two 1TB WD black series hard drives in a RAID 0. I'm using this for my files that I am writing too. Also any finished work and other storage. I still have the 640GB in there which is my read drive for now. I plan on adding two more 1 TB drives in a RAID 0. I'll have an better and large external backup setup by this point to back up everything that is "inside" the Mac Pro.

Last thing for now that I need is a new GPU, I still have the stock GT120 which doesn't work with Adobe's mercury engine. Which is night/day on rendering times. I'm going to just pick a card now since I am already doing the rest. I have been thinking the best card for my price range and use is the GTX 670. I was wanting to keep around the 350 range since I have already drop enough money in the last few weeks.

Any thoughts?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I'd say you can't go wrong there, provided the two aux power cables are 6-pin. I'm guessing you've read all the GPU threads. :)

DustinB85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
The new GPU is up and running. I bought the GTX 670 FTW, not one problem so far. :) Thank you everyone for your help.

Dustin

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 11.41.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 11.41.25 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.