Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AgileBits Releases '1Password' Version 4

Popular password aggregating app 1Password, from AgileBits, just received a major update to Version 4, featuring a total redesign of the app.

1Password's new design has done away with the pin-code lock, replacing it with a master password much like the Mac app, the interface has been simplified, and the app, overall, is more organized. The toolbar features Favorites, which houses the most accessed passwords, and Categories, which contains most of the items that were on the previous app's toolbar. Folders, another entry on the toolbar, allow for even deeper organization.

Also included is a built-in browser, offering direct access to store password through a toolbar button in the browser.

As with the original version of 1Password, users can generate unique passwords for each site they use, and store the data using military grade 256-bit AES protection. Users can also securely store other types of data, such as credit card information, notes, and banking information. A single master password unlocks the app, allowing for the memorization of one password instead of hundreds.

1Password also supports both iCloud and Dropbox syncing allowing user to make sure their passwords are kept up to date across all of their systems. iCloud syncing to Mac will, however, require a forthcoming update to 1Password for Mac.

Because 1Password is universal, AgileBits is releasing it as a brand new app. Owners of the current 1Password app will need to purchase the new version in order to access it. Older versions will continue to be supported and will sync with the new version of 1Password.

1Password [App Store] is launching with a promotional price of $7.99, a significant discount from the regular price of $17.99, and is now available for download.

Article Link: AgileBits Releases '1Password' Version 4
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Steve J0bs
macrumors regular

Have yet to decide if i am mad that AgileBits is charging me for this new update.
Steve J0bs is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:03 PM   #3
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J0bs View Post
Have yet to decide if i am mad that AgileBits is charging me for this new update.
This is a new app...
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Steve J0bs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
This is a new app...
I know this. Just felt like they should have made it an update and not a completely new app. I guess i understand that they need to make $ somehow.
Steve J0bs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM   #5
timd.mackey
macrumors newbie

Quote:
This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.
timd.mackey is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Steve J0bs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd.mackey View Post
This new app is a drastic improvement over the previous one. 1Password products are consistently rather expensive, but for me, the cost-benefit ratio is a no-brainer. This was an instant buy for me.
I totally agree with you. I love 1Password and i could live without it, but it just makes life that much easier. You guys win, i have no clue where i was going with that first post. CHEERS
Steve J0bs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 PM   #7
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Been waiting for this for a while! Love it already. Takes my ipad one step closer to being a PC replacement.
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 PM   #8
appahappa
macrumors newbie

Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.
appahappa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:59 PM   #9
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Its $8 which is probably the most expensive app I ever bought (I think the most expensive game I ever bought was Carcassonne for $10 but I had an itunes gift card)

Right now, I have a ton of passwords which I basically just list on an excel worksheet and its not efficient at all.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 AM   #10
polymersayb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by appahappa View Post
Then the new version for the Mac will be released soon too. Hopefully a free update, just bought it two weeks ago.
According to AgileBits support, version 4 will be a free update if you purchased from the Mac App Store:
Quote:
That said, if you purchase 1Password from the App Store, it will include a free upgrade to version 4.
polymersayb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 AM   #11
alchemistmuffin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by appahappa View Post
They did promise everyone a while back that anyone who buys the app from Mac App Store will get the next version free, which makes sense since the next version for Mac will be Mac App Store exclusive.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:01 AM   #12
whynot83706
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I sorry but this is just so stupid...I did purchase old app at the full price...What they mean with universal all?
whynot83706 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:13 AM   #13
vicky07
macrumors newbie

Glad to know that this one is more simplified and improvised!
Thanks for sharing!
vicky07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:18 AM   #14
macachia
macrumors regular

I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09
macachia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:33 AM   #15
EmpyreanUK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macachia View Post
I had purchased 1password in 2009 via iOS, any idea why I'm requested payment again via the appstore and I can't update?

If it's a new app, they should be ashamed of themselves, it was dead expensive to begin with in '09
It's a new app. Why should they be ashamed of themselves? If you considered it expensive, you shouldn't have bought it then, and you shouldn't buy this new version.

I personally love 1Password, and if the app was free then I'd happily buy the developers two beers (to share between the entire development studio). As the app costs the same as two beers in Wetherspoon's, and less than two beers in a nice pub, I consider this a very reasonable price.
EmpyreanUK is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:09 AM   #16
SvP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macachia View Post

Do you still have the same iPhone as in '09? Should Apple be ashamed too?
SvP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:43 AM   #17
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
So when MS Office 2010 comes out, you expect to be able to upgrade your version of Office 2007 for free? Interesting idea since no software company will survive for long whilst using a crazy business model that you're proposing.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Not really; they even call it an update. The App Store description:
Just like Windows XP was an update to Windows 97. It still wasn't free though.

Last edited by theSeb; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: correct iPad spelling
theSeb is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #18
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something? If someone doesn't want to upgrade, they can keep using their existing copy of 1Password on their iOS devices, correct?

I just launched 1Password 3.x on my iPhone and it still works just fine. Looking at the new features of 1Password 4 and thinking about how I use the program, I don't really see it being worth it for me to upgrade at this time. 1Password 3.x already does everything I need.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 PM   #19
jmacr
macrumors newbie

Lame

Quote:
I'm definitely mad. I bought the iPhone version AND the universal version only to be left to spend yet another $8. Seriously. I have been a 1Password supporter for many years, and probably will continue by necessity, will continue to be, but this is seriously lame.
jmacr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 PM   #20
lhotka
macrumors regular

Dropped wi-fi sync

And they dropped the best feature - bi-directional wi-fi syncing. The iTunes sync instructions are non-existent. Basically it looks like you have multiple manual steps, but it's totally unclear if you can merge the files, or if it's just a one-way replacement.
lhotka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:38 PM   #21
d21mike
macrumors 68000

iTunes File Sharing

Does 1Password for Mac 3.9 support iTunes File Sharing? I do not want to use Dropbox and the iOS Version only supports iCloud, Dropbox and iTunes File Sharing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a

It's really sad that people think $8 is expensive, yet have an iPhone that cost them at least $99 or more. If you were a developer of software, wouldn't you want to get paid for your work? Do you really think selling your app for $.99 is going to pay all your bills? It's dumb that people think everything should be $.99 and everything else is "expensive". Give me a break people. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be using an iPhone or you should get a better job that pays you more. Hell, you pay $10+ just to go see a movie in the theaters. Let's not think like children who think everything is entitled to them, and think like adults with some common sense.
Ishimaru is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:49 PM   #23
lhotka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
Does 1Password for Mac 3.9 support iTunes File Sharing? I do not want to use Dropbox and the iOS Version only supports iCloud, Dropbox and iTunes File Sharing.
Not in the app directly, you just point itunes to the agilekeychain file on the host.

But, it's not a Sync anymore! It just replaces the device file with the one on the mac. No-bidirectional syncing of individual passwords.
lhotka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 PM   #24
d21mike
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
I just found out you can copy the file from the desktop version to the App in iTunes and the iOS Devices can Sync from there. This appears to be manual but maybe a solution while waiting for the Mac v4 to be released.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:47 PM   #25
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

As soon as the Mac version gets updated for iCloud then I'll upgrade my iOS version.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion