Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
AirPort Express USB port is only for printers. The Extreme can handle external USB storage.

Consider getting a NAS instead. Synology makes some great ones.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That's a lot of power you are asking from the device....We don;t have the full specs yet, but my gut instinct says no. A buddy has a brand new 21.5" iMac and he purchased a USB 3 powered hub for use with it.

I helped him with the setup as he's new to Mac, but when I plugged in my Apple external superdrive, the yellow "Insufficient Power" message appeared, and that was from a powered USB hub...It couldn't even run the motor in a superdrive. I think you'd be way better off sourcing powered devices....A policy I have always adopted...Powered caddy's are cheap enough so you don't have to spend megabucks to get reliable performance. I doubt the Matrox would provide enough power, but I could be wrong. My philosophy has always been to avoid drawing power from USB ports on my Mac's...I does put extra load on the PSU. The only device plugged into a USB port apart from y powered hub is the KB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.