Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Before I thought that the reason Apple removed Google Maps was because perhaps Google told Apple to kiss off on free turn-by-turn navigation for the Maps application.

But then I see the new Google Maps app has turn-by-turn navigation so Google obviously wanted to bring it to iPhone users and Apple just #$%!ed us all over for nothing :mad:

Why the #$%! would they screw iPhone users over by removing the better Google Maps application if Google wanted to give iPhone users turn-by-turn? :confused::mad::confused:

P.S. thank god that Google is actually looked out for us, unlike Apple, by bringing Google Maps application back to us.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I don't understand your logic. How is it obvious that Google want to bring turn-by-turn feature to iOS Google Maps?

May be they didn't want to, and now changed their mind. Think about it: had Google released their iOS Maps without turn-by-turn feature, people would have complained loudly because Apple Maps has that feature.

To tell the truth, I almost never used the old Google Maps on iOS because it lacked turn-by-turn. I bought Navigon Maps. Now that it does, I will give it a try.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
How is it obvious that Google want to bring turn-by-turn feature to iOS Google Maps?

If Google didn't wan't to bring free turn-by-turn to iPhone users then it wouldn't have been included in the Google Maps app like they did.

Hence, Google wanted to bring turn-by-turn navigation to iPhone users and Apple just told them to $%#! off and removed the app and screwed over its iPhone users over nothing :mad:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They already had a year left on their Google Maps contract so no... it wasn't about $$$ since it actually cost them MORE to lease the maps from TomTom when they could have simply used Google Maps for another year like they had already paid for.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Actually, I can think of a very good reason for Google to bring turn by turn to iOS now... To build good will with the users. With the problems with Apple maps, it's no surprise that Google might decide 'hey, we have a whole user base of annoyed people, why not offer the features they want through our app'. It makes them look really good, and makes Apple look bad.

That said, unless CEOs or people behind the scenes start talking, we don't really know what the story is. It could be that Apple wanted Google to improve and Google didn't want to, or Google would only do that with integration with Gmail, or, or, or. Who knows. It could also just be that Apple didn't want to have their biggest competitor integrated into iOS the way it was before. It's one thing to have an app from a company you're on friendly terms with integrated into your operating system, it's another to have your biggest competitor supplying your maps app. I'd say that most people have stopped questioning 'why' Apple did it and more moved to 'why now'.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
iPhone users praising Google? All I know is Apple eff'd up and Google came out looking good in this situation.

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I don't get Android, love my iPhone and really like Google Maps. Thanks Google for being all kinds of awesome in bringing Maps back to IOS.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If Google didn't wan't to bring free turn-by-turn to iPhone users then it wouldn't have been included in the Google Maps app like they did.

Hence, Google wanted to bring turn-by-turn navigation to iPhone users and Apple just told them to $%#! off and removed the app and screwed over its iPhone users over nothing :mad:

Google license didn't permit turn by turn. Google wanted more money.

Apple told them to go jump and screwed up their own mapping solution.

Google saw an opportunity...

Last edited:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26/...ation-dispute/

Quote:
Apple reportedly pushed hard for voice navigation in Google's maps on iOS, but Google was unwilling to hand over the functionality without concessions from Apple. As detailed by other sources, Google was seeking greater control over the mapping experience on the iPhone, such as Google branding and Google Latitude integration, concessions Apple was unwilling to make.

They now got their branded app and, more or less, full control over their app with ads and integration they choose to use. And even though it isn't the default iOS app, they have made it possible to other app makers to link to Google Maps instead of the default Apple Maps. And they got this without having to pay Apple for it. Instead they more or less got payed in a way when they got to be the heroes that saved the iOS users from the (in most places) pretty crappy Apple Maps.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/26/...ation-dispute/

Quote:
Apple reportedly pushed hard for voice navigation in Google's maps on iOS, but Google was unwilling to hand over the functionality without concessions from Apple. As detailed by other sources, Google was seeking greater control over the mapping experience on the iPhone, such as Google branding and Google Latitude integration, concessions Apple was unwilling to make.

They now got their branded app and, more or less, full control over their app with ads and integration they choose to use. And even though it isn't the default iOS app, they have made it possible to other app makers to link to Google Maps instead of the default Apple Maps. And they got this without having to pay Apple for it. Instead they more or less got payed in a way when they got to be the heroes that saved the iOS users from the (in most places) pretty crappy Apple Maps.

Pay Apple for it? You've got it the other way around, Apple was paying Google for the app while Apple wrote the app itself, they had to license the data.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
For those doubting apple's explanation, I still don't get it, how would apple have gained profit from putting apple maps instead of google maps? It's not like they have ads in the app nor is it a paid service.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Pay Apple for it? You've got it the other way around, Apple was paying Google for the app while Apple wrote the app itself, they had to license the data.

I didn't mean that Google payed to have it in iOS in the first place, but that they didn't have to pay (or get less payed for it) to get the added control and the branding they wanted (from what I read in the article).

However, I believe that the biggest winners are the iOS users. We now got two free navigation apps with turn-by-turn and the option to choose which one we like the most. If we also could choose default nav app that would be even greater.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It WAS about turn-by-turn. Also it doesn't matter anymore. Download the app and enjoy.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Before I thought that the reason Apple removed Google Maps was because perhaps Google told Apple to kiss off on free turn-by-turn navigation for the Maps application.

But then I see the new Google Maps app has turn-by-turn navigation so Google obviously wanted to bring it to iPhone users and Apple just #$%!ed us all over for nothing :mad:

How was Google able to get turn-by-turn navigation using Google mapping data and Apple can't?

Because Google gave Google permission and didn't allow Apple to. :rolleyes:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Why the #$%! would they screw iPhone users over by removing the better Google Maps application if Google wanted to give iPhone users turn-by-turn? :confused::mad::confused:

P.S. thank god that Google is actually looked out for us, unlike Apple, by bringing Google Maps application back to us.

You don't believe it was a licensing issue and money issue?

So you believe Apple's decision was to screw iPhone users and pissed its Apple base off?

Or do you believe Apple just wanted to tell Google to piss off? If so, why did they allow Google Maps into the Apple App store?

Does your logic make any sense?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Maybe Google wanted to add turn by turn but they didn't want to work with Apple to do it. They just told Apple to screw themselves and left them to desperately make their own maps app from scratch. Since the mainstream tech world loves to hate Apple they pointed out all of Apple's flaws, even the ones that Google maps users have been experiencing for years. Now Google put Apple right where they wanted them and took advantage of the situation by releasing their own app for their own profit and reputation.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Wah wah wah call the wambulance

LMFAO...logged in just to applaud that. Love it!

----------

You don't believe it was a licensing issue and money issue?

So you believe Apple's decision was to screw iPhone users and pissed its Apple base off?

Or do you believe Apple just wanted to tell Google to piss off? If so, why did they allow Google Maps into the Apple App store?

Does your logic make any sense?

I don't believe it was a licensing issue either. Time after time apple is trying to get rid of their competition, Samsung and Google and whomever else but you have to learn when you can't keep up in all areas. Google has a couple of years in this area, they should have learned that. Second of all, don't believe any rumours with face value. Take it with a grain of salt cause you or even I can't tell what's actually happening behind the scenes. Only speculate. Last but not least, they've let so many other Map Apps into their App Store so why wouldn't they let Google's? As long as they follow the guidelines, regardless of how much hate they must let them in according to their own Terms of Service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.