Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:14 AM   #1
s.horsfield
macrumors regular

Question Macbook Air for school. 11 vs 13

Hello

Last edited by s.horsfield; Jul 16, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
s.horsfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:38 AM   #2
yinz
macrumors 6502a

13".. it has great battery life.. a noticeably larger screen.. 13"...
yinz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Try googling or this.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/...cbook_air.html

The difference in screen real estate can be pretty significant. I personally went with the 11" air because I wasn't very particular about the disparity in vertical screen height. Also, while the palm rest is smaller, it is still sufficient for me to type comfortably on. The 11" air also tucked away nicely in a compartment in my bag.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Redbull916
macrumors member

If it's for Safari, iTunes, Mail, Messages & taking lots of notes during school, I'd get an iPad.

Note taking and stuff like that will be fine on an 11" and when you need to do some serious stuff hook up an external monitor.

For me, I wanted something that wasn't a compromise and could do everything everywhere hence I went for the 13". The 11" resolution was just to low for what I do which is a pity - the resolution is a 16.9 version of a iPad mini.
It felt like I was using a netbook, constantly scrolling.

For some living with the lower resolution and battery life is worth it, but for the sake of a couple of inches (they are the same thickness) you get it all with the 13".
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull916 View Post
I'd get an iPad.
If you plan on doing any serious typing steer clear of iPads, personally i'd say 11"
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:59 AM   #6
Redbull916
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
If you plan on doing any serious typing steer clear of iPads, personally i'd say 11"
I'm not a good typist, so I just dictate to mine
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:02 AM   #7
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull916 View Post
I'm not a good typist, so I just dictate to mine
While I find dictation OK, I find it largely impractical for my life.

Just need somewhere quiet, and I don't always have that - I wish...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:15 AM   #8
s.horsfield
macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick set of replies! On the iPad front: I considered for a couple of months before ultimately scrapping the idea, things are getting close to tablet era for me (as in, I wouldn't need a traditional computer ever again), but sadly for the odd flash site, true multitasking and some apps, I need a laptop (for now). iOS isn't REALLY that developed as of yet for to truly use it as full machine, but come 2015 and i'll likely get one!

The palm rest is a fine size on the 11' for me, along with the keyboard and trackpad.

If only Apple could jam a bigger screen into the 11' form factor! I don't think size would be too much of an issue, i'd just use it closer to my face. Vertical height difference I thought would be huge (this is based off a few minutes in the store) but it seemed actually wasn't.

Hmmm I wonder...
s.horsfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #9
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimonwins View Post
If anyone owns an 11' Air and was willing to waste time to help me could you please post a screenshot of Safari fullscreen-ed on stuff.co.nz or youtube.com or apple.com to give me an example of what i'll be dealing with?
If you haven't already, check out the link abazigal posted. Very good info there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	383320  
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502

Get the 11" and try it out for a few days... then you will know what to do.
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #11
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

The extra battery life can make a significant difference if you have all day classes in a row.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:20 PM   #12
beysus
macrumors member

I never considered getting the 11" one, I'd always get the 13" Air. I think it has the perfect size and when I go to university it's a no brainer whether I take it with me or not. I don't know how often I went shopping after school carrying it in my bag.

Also, like said, before the battery lasts longer and I think that's one of the most important things on such a portable device.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Hexley
macrumors 6502a

If weight, size and price isnt a factor then comfort should be what should decide your purchasing decision.

13-inch is nice.
Hexley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:55 PM   #14
Cjshino
macrumors member

personally i went with the 11' because its widescreen
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 PM   #15
Dominus Mortem
macrumors regular

I use the 11" Air in school for note taking, browsing, itunes, etc. Never has the battery got lower than 45%. I think it will last 5+ hours straight working a medium load, no problem. If you're taking classes one after another and need a laptop in each and need to work on it for 5-6 hours straight between charges, you pretty much need the 13". I use mine quite a bit like I said. In the end though you just have to add up the pros can cons, check what your gut is telling you can commit. If you make a bad choice, you have 14 days to rectify it.

Also, the 13" is small, portable and easy to carry but the 11" just disappears inside a bag or purse. I write and I like to have something handy at all times to write on and the 11" can go anywhere and everywhere, and places the 13" might not go as easily. You get used to the screen. If you can use an Ipad, you can use a 11" Air.
Dominus Mortem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:51 PM   #16
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjshino View Post
personally i went with the 11' because its widescreen
Although the 16:9 aspect ratio is better movies, isn't the screen a bit small for watching movies? (I only have a 13" MBA, so I haven't used the 11" extensively).
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:23 AM   #17
Cjshino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
Although the 16:9 aspect ratio is better movies, isn't the screen a bit small for watching movies? (I only have a 13" MBA, so I haven't used the 11" extensively).
Thats what i thought too but the screen really isnt that small imo. I didnt like the rectangular shape of the 13' screen on the air as i prefer wider screens. Also if i wanted the 13' air i think the 13' pro is better and it costs the same. Not the retina MBP of course.
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:13 AM   #18
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

I've been using an 11" MBA since late 2010 and I'm not feeling like ever going back to a larger computer. It's just that 11" is big enough for everything I do on my laptop, that is browsing (forums, YouTube, and similar stuff), reading PDFs, listening to music, programming in Netbeans.

I'd really recommend you to get an 11" MBA, try it out for a week and then keep it or exchange it for a 13" MBA.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:29 AM   #19
yinz
macrumors 6502a

If you are a student, I wouldn't suggest compromising with the 11". Having to go buy an external monitor, keyboard and mouse seems really annoying. 13" is an all-in-one and like apple, it just works (without peripherals).
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:46 AM   #20
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

I Prefer using an ipad for most of my note taking needs. How do use your computer in class? Why did you scrap the idea of the iPad?

In my case, I am using an iPad for school and an iMac at home.

If you're looking for a single computer I recommend the 13" MBA.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:21 AM   #21
53x12
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post
I Prefer using an ipad for most of my note taking needs. How do use your computer in class? Why did you scrap the idea of the iPad?

If you're looking for a single computer I recommend the 13" MBA.
Some people don't like typing on an iPad except for short email. Taking notes on a glass screen + smallish screen is not ideal for some. While it is fine for some, others prefer larger screen and full size keyboard of a laptop. In the end whatever works for you is all that matters.
53x12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:24 AM   #22
Dominus Mortem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDApp View Post

How do you type fast enough on an IPAD? I could never keep up with the lectures using an IPAD. I sometimes have to type very fast to capture the lecture information even on a full sized tactile keyboard.

A 11" Air fits on even the stingiest fold-down desktop. I had one class where the top was barely as big as a dinner plate and the Air fit on that just fine, anything bigger would have made me nervous about it falling off.
Dominus Mortem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:23 AM   #23
AppleDApp
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
How do you type fast enough on an IPAD? I could never keep up with the lectures using an IPAD. I sometimes have to type very fast to capture the lecture information even on a full sized tactile keyboard.

A 11" Air fits on even the stingiest fold-down desktop. I had one class where the top was barely as big as a dinner plate and the Air fit on that just fine, anything bigger would have made me nervous about it falling off.
Most of my classes have the notes online so I download those before hand and add my notes either by typing or using my stylus. It isn't for everyone put it works for me.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
Paraphrase and annotate in point form?
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
octatonic
macrumors regular

My 2012 13" arrived today.

I've upgraded from an 11" 2010 model.
I am much preferring the 13" to the 11" at the moment.
It feels roomier, isn't that much heavier and has brilliant battery life.

Make sure you go for 8GB RAM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air