Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Didn't want to hijack the existing thread...and have posted in here since the comparison to Ios6 Apple Maps.

Couple of issues with Google Maps so far...while it definitely has the advantage from a POI standpoint...far and above Apple Maps...it looks like their problems/issues revolve around UI and/or turn-by-turn.

Obviously, I have only used it this morning, but a couple of issues have come up..one major and others not but just annoyances that can/will probably be fixed.

Attached picture shows what came up when I was dropping my son off at school before heading to work. The correct "direction" given should have been to turn right and then make a U-turn to head South, not turn left. This is fairly common in Michigan and it has been this way for decades on this particular turn. Very dangerous as someone that doesn't know this would most likely follow the directions before noticing the "no left turn" sign that is posted or would not be able to get over three lanes to make the correct right hand turn.

I've actually seen people do this and get rear ended by folks coming up behind them at the speed limit (45 mph through here in this case).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 290

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It was interesting to read people complain about lack of "correct symbols" on Apple Maps as it relates to train stations...and I totally agree as it is those symbols that really help people quickly identify where they need to go.

An interesting error in Google Maps for my state...state road sign, which is very well know, is shown as an oval instead of a "diamond" shape.

This is where I think Apple shines (from a turn-by-turn standpoint)...they really have the road signs correct. See attached pic.

Other notes in the pic....I love the "exit number" information included, but wish it would show the arrival time next to the "minutes remaining" info so I can see the actual time of arrival. Really helpful when you plan on traveling over a long distance.

I also prefer the Apple and Waze view from an angle standpoint...Google is too "overview" and does not show enough distance...especially in the landscape view I use as shown. Doesn't seem to be a way to set this yet.

Greatest thing about Google is that I can submit errors/corrections/thoughts via the web site.

LOVE how it has my search history online synched so I can select from my phone when I get in the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 114

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Other notes in the pic....I love the "exit number" information included, but wish it would show the arrival time next to the "minutes remaining" info so I can see the actual time of arrival. Really helpful when you plan on traveling over a long distance.

Tap the time remaining and it will change to ETA or distance remaining.

As for map errors, the longest Google has taken to fix any of my previous issues was 9 days.

I also prefer the Apple and Waze view from an angle standpoint...Google is too "overview" and does not show enough distance...especially in the landscape view I use as shown. Doesn't seem to be a way to set this yet.

While you can't change the angle, it does allow you to zoom without stopping the TbT.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'm just curious how Apple removing Google Maps app hurt this new app. Couldn't Google just have kept the same app, update the UI and it wouldn't have any issues?

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden

I haven't tried the navigation yet, only been testing the map and POI:s. But in the map view at least you can click on the Blue arrow down in the left corner and I think that makes the view change from 2D to 3D (angled) (symbol switches to "compass"), which is what I think you're looking for. Or you can also (in both modes) change the angley by using two fingers and moving up/down.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
No spoken street names during navigation? I just got "turn right" and "turn left." Just my area?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Tap the time remaining and it will change to ETA or distance remaining.

THANKS! Can't believe I missed that one.

----------

As for map errors, the longest Google has taken to fix any of my previous issues was 9 days.

POI corrections or "directions" errors? Or both? I have only done poi in the past.

----------

I haven't tried the navigation yet, only been testing the map and POI:s. But in the map view at least you can click on the Blue arrow down in the left corner and I think that makes the view change from 2D to 3D (angled) (symbol switches to "compass"), which is what I think you're looking for. Or you can also (in both modes) change the angley by using two fingers and moving up/down.

As you can see in my pics, it actually is in the angled mode during turn-by-turn...two finger adjustment is for Apple Maps, not Google (and is not adjustable in Apple Maps either as far as I know).

Just prefer the lower angle of view on other map/GPS units...Google's is the highest angle I have ever seen as standard.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Clarification...yes, two finger adjustment in standard map view (two finger swipe down to create angle) but no option to change angle in turn-by-turn that I can find.

Layers are still layers...selecting "public transit" does nothing more than add the colored lines if they are available in the city you are looking at. Train/metro stops are still shown with both symbols and names/train info (if you zoom in far enough) on the map view. Bus stop names don't show up for me in NYC...guess they didn't include ALL info as was stated in another thread.

----------

Rotating view with two fingers brings up compass showing North...tapping on compass repositions map to North view and compass will then disappear....just wish I could angle further to see traffic further out without zooming out as well.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I found a POI in the wrong location on Google maps. Is there a website I can freak out about this on?

Actually..that's part of the reason I created this thread....:p

I have to admit, it has been a LONG time since I had set corrections to Google (back when Maps first came out) and I really like their system of submitting corrections.

Makes me think Apple should actually make a web based version of their Maps so they can have the same features...submitting corrections...transferring directions from computer to mobile device...etc.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I found a POI in the wrong location on Google maps. Is there a website I can freak out about this on?

Using the Web:
Search for the POI using http://maps.google.com and using the POI "bubble" click the "More" link which gives you the option to report a problem.

Using Google Maps:
Search for the POI or open it up on the map. Scroll to the bottom of the POI's profile page and below the reviews there will be a blue "Report a problem" link.

Using Apple's Map App:
Search and open the POI profile page. At the bottom of the info tab tap the "Report a problem" button.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
With all the complaints in the "maps is a disaster thread" I can't believe no one has commented on the fact that Google Maps doesn't show traffic in the turn by turn mode just like Apple Maps.

Since it isn't an integrated Apple app, I noticed on my drive home that notifications like a calendar request that pops up actually blocks the map forcing one to manually clear it. Was more annoying since I got 5 invites on the drive home.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I find that not being ale to access your contacts for address/navigation is a big oversight.

True...but you can at least do a search online before a trip or add your favorites and access them that way.

I typically look up the address of where I'm going via Google Maps on my computer before I fly to a city. Just by doing that, those addresses will come up in my recent history when I access the app.

While I prefer Apple Maps from a UI perspective and the fact that it hasn't let me down yet on all of my travels, having a web based integration for search history and submitting corrections is probably now the biggest thing I miss/want with Apple Maps.

Last edited:

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I ran into a problem yesterday using the Google maps app while driving to a favorite restaurant in Austin. It told me that I had arrived at my location even though the place was located on the opposite frontage road on the highway I was driving. Only local knowledge enabled me to find it by taking the next exit and doubling back under the overpass. A person unfamiliar with the area, I am sure, would have just given up.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just tried a transit test between Google and HopStop from my recent trip to Dallas.

HopStop -- Dallas to airport...bus leaving in 9 minutes, will get you there in 2 1/2 hours

Google -- Take bus at 12:30 (3 hours from now) and get there in minimum time of 3.5 hours

San Francisco - SFO to downtown (Montgomery)

HopStop -- take 9:33 train...58 minute ride -- no fare info listed

Google -- says it will take 45 minutes with fare listed

Bernardsville, NJ to Penn Station in NYC

HopStop -- NJ transit (one transfer in Summit) $14 fare, and warning about upcoming service changes

Google -- Same travel info, but no fare or service warning shown.

From personal experience so far, depending on where you live (or don't live) the third party app system seems to be better and have more up to date info.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Not to bash your thread Moz, but given that it's only version 1.0.0, there are bound to be numerous "improvements and bug fixes" coming in the future. Google just wanted to get this app out to iOS users asap, as stated by one of their personnel. I know Google is known to be able to provide better maps than Apple, but it's not perfect either.

I'm sure the app will continue to improve in the future, and I'm also sure it'll improve at a FASTER pace than Apple's.:cool:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not to bash your thread Moz, but given that it's only version 1.0.0, there are bound to be numerous "improvements and bug fixes" coming in the future. Google just wanted to get this app out to iOS users asap, as stated by one of their personnel. I know Google is known to be able to provide better maps than Apple, but it's not perfect either.

I'm sure the app will continue to improve in the future, and I'm also sure it'll improve at a FASTER pace than Apple's.:cool:

Have I really bashed it?

I think it's great...just pointing out some of the features/missing items...no different than points made in other threads stating the same about Apple Maps.

Not sure how they will improve some of the items I listed (directions, transit) as they are consistent with what Google has either offered or still offers in their existing product on other platforms (web/Android), but I'm sure they may implement other improvements no sooner than Apple may (night mode, UI).

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Have I really bashed it?

I think it's great...just pointing out some of the features/missing items...no different than points made in other threads stating the same about Apple Maps.

Not sure how they will improve some of the items I listed (directions, transit) as they are consistent with what Google has either offered or still offers in their existing product on other platforms (web/Android), but I'm sure they may implement other improvements no sooner than Apple may (night mode, UI).

Heard Offline maps and iPad support are the ones coming in the next few updates. Night mode is also in high demand, so maybe they'll implement it as well.

Maybe also a better way to report problems. It's good for their app given that Google tends to fix errors within a week or two, which is considered fast. :)

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
I tested it out last night. Bluetooth works which I like.

A few issues :

It doesn't seem to know exactly where I am - It asked me turn right, so I turned left and it took about 15 seconds to realise what I had done. At a roundabout it said take the third exit at the roundabout which is in 150 yards, although I had just entered the roundabout so the instruction was far to late.

On the screen the path was laid out correctly including the turn into the next road, but it told me 3 times to do a u-turn. When I got to the turn it correctly told me to turn right.

Waze seems to do a much better job of knowing exactly where you are and it also does not store the maps on your phone.

TomTom knows instantly where you are and this is very important in giving you a quick recalculation when you miss a turn or go wrong. Google is far too slow. I don't know if this is because the TomTom maps are on the phone.

Google maps looks nice and it is very easy to set up a simple route, but the TomTom appears much more polished for the time being, and TomTom UK maps are good. Not so great in Ireland though.

I think it is a good start.

----------

I ran into a problem yesterday using the Google maps app while driving to a favorite restaurant in Austin. It told me that I had arrived at my location even though the place was located on the opposite frontage road on the highway I was driving. Only local knowledge enabled me to find it by taking the next exit and doubling back under the overpass. A person unfamiliar with the area, I am sure, would have just given up.

I noticed that issue too. It thinks my house is about 30M behind where it is, but that is actually a 1/2 mile drive by road. So if you didn't know where you were going it would be very confusing, A reason I wouldn't trust it for a long trip yet, although it might work perfectly using coordinates which is what I do if at all possible nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.