Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Consumers Most Interested in Apple Products Because of Existing Ecosystem, Ease of Use

Reuters conducted interviews with more than 70 shoppers in major cities around the world to find out which consumer electronics items they are most interested in this holiday season.

Reporters discovered that while Apple stores were bustling with shoppers, Microsoft's pop-up stores in the U.S. were much less crowded. Additionally, though Samsung has spent big bucks in recent months pushing its products (and knocking on Apple's), only in Singapore and Bangalore did consumers have Samsung at the top of their list.

Quote:
Loyalty to Apple's compelling orchard of products seemed to be a first line of defense for the Cupertino, California, company as shoppers in Europe, Asia and the United States weighed the pros and cons of switching to rival offerings.

Customers cited existing iTunes music and video libraries plus the traditional Apple virtues of simplicity and ease of use as reasons to stick with the iPhone and the iPad.

"I just taught my Persian grandmother how to use her new iPhone. She's 77 and speaks no English," said Soheil Arzang, a 27-year-old law student in Palo Alto, California. "With a Windows PC there are so many buttons, it's confusing. I converted my parents officially to Apple iPhones, Macs and iPads."
Earlier this week, a questionable Reuters article compared Apple's lock-in ecosystem with a "tax" that users are required to pay to have access to their previously purchased apps and content. Aside from the misuse of the word "tax", that piece was correct in that Apple has locked in its users.

Today's article quotes several users on Android tablets and phones, with one saying "although they are cheaper, you have to re-buy everything." Another said "Apple's got me in now." In fact, Samsung's chief strategy officer is an Apple user for the exact same reasons.

Other points of interest include heavy demand for the iPad and the iPad mini, Apple Stores surveyed had 9 visitors for every 1 visit to a comparable Microsoft store, and in-store purchases of the Amazon Kindle was virtually nonexistent -- likely because of Amazon's online-only focus.

Article Link: Consumers Most Interested in Apple Products Because of Existing Ecosystem, Ease of Use
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Radio
In Time-Out

so you ask people at apple stores what brand they're most excited about?!

seriously? lol

Guess what product most people are excited about at a donut shop? Yes a donus!
Radio is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

seriously? lol

I am excited for doughnuts and I am not even in a doughnut shop!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
nitropowered
macrumors regular

I thought about switching to an SIII or Nexus, but I got an iP5 instead because of my investment in the Apple Ecosystem. And the longer I stick with Apple, the harder it will become to switch. I've been on an iPhone since the 3G, but the tipping point for me was if Apple didn't change the screen size on the 5.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Hehe... I'm most interested in Apple Products because of the quality of the hardware and their supreme efficiency with batteries.

The closed ecosystem annoys me
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #6
ersatzplanet
macrumors member

Quote:

seriously? lol

The article does say they went to MS stores too.
ersatzplanet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #7
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzplanet View Post
Yes, but MS stores are notoriously empty so they effectively biased their sample. If they wanted to be competent they would need a location control that would allow them to look for this bias.
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Monkeydude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzplanet View Post
And as ist also says that there were way more customers in the apple store - the outcome is still not representative. Most windows people don't buy their stuff in MS stores (just because you can get Windows/MS stuff everywhere), whereas Applestores have it all in one place and the variety of the products is limited (which for me is a good thing, especially when it comes to software-hardware coordination).
Conclusion: the article doesn't say anything.
Monkeydude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Carouser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydude View Post
And as ist also says that there were way more customers in the apple store - the outcome is still not representative. Most windows people don't buy their stuff in MS stores (just because you can get Windows/MS stuff everywhere), whereas Applestores have it all in one place and the variety of the products is limited (which for me is a good thing, especially when it comes to software-hardware coordination).
Conclusion: the article doesn't say anything.
You can get Apple stuff everywhere too. It's like the 'closed ecosystem' fallacy all over again, bravo.
Carouser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludge420 View Post
If Google (and Samsung and Microsoft) want to beat Apple they need to do one simple thing:

Make a better iTunes and make it work seemlessly with Android.

Currently Android phones are a nightmare to sync and have some of the worst UX I've ever seen. I've gone back to an iPhone after a year of misery with an Android phone.
You were syncing it wrong.

Seriously though i would agree. I would never go back to iOS, but I do miss the ease of buying an album or dumping a movie into iTunes, then just dropping my phone/iPod in a dock to get them on the device.

Now, I have to find the song files, and the playlist files and copy them over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropowered View Post
I thought about switching to an SIII or Nexus, but I got an iP5 instead because of my investment in the Apple Ecosystem. And the longer I stick with Apple, the harder it will become to switch. I've been on an iPhone since the 3G, but the tipping point for me was if Apple didn't change the screen size on the 5.
The first tipping point for me was the iPhone 3G vs the EVO. Android phones and the OS smoke a lot of what Apple offers, except for the ecosystem.

I just hope Apple keeps up the work, and improves on their tacky version of the cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreecity View Post
70 customers? That seems like...not a lot of people to base an article on. Right?
Yes! The article is largely moot, but it's a nice talking point about what really separates Apple from the rest of the herd.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:01 PM   #11
EmpireITtech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
You can get Apple stuff everywhere too. It's like the 'closed ecosystem' fallacy all over again, bravo.
I think even you can agree that MS products are hardly ever bought at a MS store, whereas Apple stores draw many many customers....which is what he was saying.
And as much as I hate to admit it, the Apple "ecosystem" is more closed than others.....and I really like Apple products
EmpireITtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:

seriously? lol

That's not the point of this article. It's about WHY people like Apple's products, not IF they like Apple's products.
TimUSCA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

I like apple products for numerous reasons..but one in particular is software and software updates..my iPad 2 is running iOS 6 and will probably run iOS 7 and 8.. If it was an android tablet from a year or 2 ago it would not be receiving updates and would be left behind..
Bchagey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:28 AM   #14
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:

seriously? lol

That is not what was said. They are looking at the traffic in the stores.

Before I bought my first iphone I never set foot in an apple store.
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Macclone
Banned

Quote:

seriously? lol

Wrong. A donut and coffee.
Macclone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:44 AM   #16
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Closed ... as opposed to what?

How is the Apple ecosystem any more closed than any other (from a consumer point of view)?

If I invest in apps and movies for my Android device, doesn't that lock me into Android? Same with Windows Phone?

The only area I can think of where there is an open ecosystem is in music, where you can basically buy from any vendor and transfer it to any other. And guess who bullied the music industry into letting that happen?
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:51 AM   #17
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbatteries View Post
How is the Apple ecosystem any more closed than any other (from a consumer point of view)?
It's not. But Google has managed to convince everyone it is.
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 PM   #18
paulsalter
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to paulsalter Send a message via AIM to paulsalter Send a message via MSN to paulsalter Send a message via Yahoo to paulsalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbatteries View Post

If I invest in apps and movies for my Android device, doesn't that lock me into Android? Same with Windows Phone?

The only area I can think of where there is an open ecosystem is in music, where you can basically buy from any vendor and transfer it to any other. And guess who bullied the music industry into letting that happen?
How many Google Apps work on non Android devices?
How many Apple Apps work on non Apple devices?

I can use google services but not be locked into android, I cant use Apple services without being locked into Apple hardware

Not saying either is better than the other, but Apple is more locked up than others
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #19
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
I can use google services but not be locked into android, I cant use Apple services without being locked into Apple hardware
But you're locked into Google.

Google doesn't care if you're on Android or iOS, so long as you are locked into Google.
LagunaSol is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 AM   #20
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Where is that gorgeous store?
macs4nw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 AM   #21
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Reuters: describing today what most figured out several years ago.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #22
SpiderDude
macrumors member

No way... It's the price!!

I was really expecting it to be the price... I mean:
The way they slimmed down the iMac, removed features and ruined it's magnificent sound only to increase it the completely justified 200€ ($260) extra is totally worth it. I mean, my desk thrilled about the weight reduction...

Last edited by SpiderDude; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
SpiderDude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #23
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

A whole 70 interviews around the world!!! Blimey Reuters. Anyone would think you were an international media agency.

In other News, Bear poops in woods.

Sarcasm aside. Windows error messages alone were enough to confuse my parents... years of support helpdesk to them on windows... bought them a Mac.... bearly any problems now... most related to their Hotmail account... now finally working after years as MS support imap now!

2 of my favourites.

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/weird-error-messages/333302?seq=25&tag=siu-container;thumbnail-view-selector

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/w...-view-selector
prowlmedia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:26 AM   #24
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Today's article quotes several users on Android tablets and phones, with one saying "although they are cheaper, you have to re-buy everything." Another said "Apple's got me in now." In fact, Samsung's chief strategy officer is an Apple user for the exact same reasons.
Someone should really correct this. You don't have to "rebuy" everything on Android.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

I asked 17 people in a Microsoft store what product they were most excited about this year. They said iPads.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion