Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
aerobyravol
macrumors regular

Airplay over extended WiFi Network

I live in a house and need a WiFi extender to reach all the floors.

So basically, I have a "root" (connected to the Internet) WiFi Network of SSID myWiFi in the basements.

I then have a WiFi Extender (Netgear WN3000RP) that connects to the myWiFi network and extends it to another Network of SSID myWiFi_Ext.

Do you know whether all my devices (iMac, iPhone, AppleTV) are able to see each other on the same network, regardless they are connected to myWiFi or to myWiFi_Ext ?

Typically, will my iPhone connected to myWiFi be able to Airplay on my AppleTV connected to myWiFi_Ext ?

Thanks for your clever answers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img-wn3000rp_homechart18-17263.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	383315  
aerobyravol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobyravol View Post
Do you know whether all my devices (iMac, iPhone, AppleTV) are able to see each other on the same network, regardless they are connected to myWiFi or to myWiFi_Ext ?
Thanks for your clever answers !
I don't think they will be able to see each other if they are on separate networks. If you use an airport extreme as a base station and an express to extend, it will create a network with the same name, and the computers will be able to see each other. You may be able to accomplish this with non-apple networking hardware by using an hardware that supports bridge mode. My understanding is that the extending router has to be in bridge mode, and the extended network will have the same name as the original network.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

You essentially need to put the extender in 'bridge' mode to get them all on the same network. You really don't need two different SSIDs once you have it setup and working the way you want.

Remember that you lose essentially half of your bandwidth with every repeater, so if you are streaming large local files you may have difficulty.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help