Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Chargrave
macrumors newbie

iMac 2012 Gaming Question

First of all, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for any responses!

Secondly, I am not in need of a lecture on mac gaming. I understand I can build a PC much more capable. I'm just in a specific situation and I am seeking advice.

I work for Apple and I am going to be able to get an iMac at a significant discount within the next couple of months, depending on income situations. I am a pretty big gamer, and I am aware that these machines don't run games as well as traditional tower builds. After scouring the internet for some sort of benchmark score, no one seems to talk about what the new iMac 21.5 inch models are capable of.

I have looked at the benchmarks for the individual cards in the machines at www.notebookcheck.net and it has been a great resource for base comparisons of graphics performance.

My main question is how well bootcamp works, and if the new processors in the machines will help increase overall gpu performance. I would want to play games such as PlanetSide 2, Far Cry 3, GTA V when it releases, etc. etc. Am I just wishing a fools wish? Are these things just not going to be possible with a 650m GPU?

Thank you again for any responses, and again I'm aware of PC builds. I am just not in the market for one.
Chargrave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:00 AM   #2
Garrod
macrumors member

Well, this might help for starters:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gp...eForce+GT+650M
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
cosmicjoke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargrave View Post
First of all, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for any responses!

Secondly, I am not in need of a lecture on mac gaming. I understand I can build a PC much more capable. I'm just in a specific situation and I am seeking advice.

I work for Apple and I am going to be able to get an iMac at a significant discount within the next couple of months, depending on income situations. I am a pretty big gamer, and I am aware that these machines don't run games as well as traditional tower builds. After scouring the internet for some sort of benchmark score, no one seems to talk about what the new iMac 21.5 inch models are capable of.

I have looked at the benchmarks for the individual cards in the machines at www.notebookcheck.net and it has been a great resource for base comparisons of graphics performance.

My main question is how well bootcamp works, and if the new processors in the machines will help increase overall gpu performance. I would want to play games such as PlanetSide 2, Far Cry 3, GTA V when it releases, etc. etc. Am I just wishing a fools wish? Are these things just not going to be possible with a 650m GPU?

Thank you again for any responses, and again I'm aware of PC builds. I am just not in the market for one.
Just remember on notebookcheck that the benchmarks are often coming from some horrible cheap laptop screen resolution like 1376x768 or rather than 1080p of 21" imac, so the benchmarks may look considerably higher than what you'll get. If I were you, I'd keep my eye on Anandtech and see if they do a review. They have w/ other iMacs in the past along with useful benchmarks.
cosmicjoke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games