Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Developers Behind Orchestra to Release Mailbox, A New Mail Management App

Mailbox is an upcoming email management app developed by the team that designed collaborative task management app Orchestra, which was lauded for its simple design.

Mailbox, which is designed to work with Gmail, features a clean, simple design that uses intuitive touch gestures, much like list-making app Clear. Quick swiping emails to the right removes them from the inbox and archives them, while a longer slide and hold deletes them.

Reorganization of the inbox is also a simple task with drag gestures, and the app also allows users swipe left to "Snooze" emails, putting them out of sight and out of mind until later.

TechCrunch has an early hands-on review of the app:
Quote:
Mailbox takes a very stripped-down approach, providing a limited set of options for dealing with email. It breaks incoming emails into three basic categories: Those you'd like to keep in your inbox, those you'd like to save for later, and those you'd like to get rid of as quickly as possible.

The whole thing is built on the concept of gestures, basically swiping left or swiping right over an email in your inbox to do something with it. Want to archive an email? A short swipe to the right will do that, clearing it from view. Want to delete? Try a longer swipe right.

But the most interesting aspect is the save-for-later option. Don't have time for an email right now but want to respond at some point? Just swipe to the left. Once you do, you'll be met with a few options for when you want that email to appear in your inbox: later in the day (three hours later), tomorrow, on the weekend, next week, etc. It then clears those emails from the inbox but makes them easily accessible from the menu screen. It works the same for adding emails to lists, like a "read later" or "watch later" list. It just needs a longer swipe.
The Verge has also had the opportunity to test Mailbox, calling the app "nothing short of spectacular."

Though there are a slew of emailing apps available, including Apple's own Mail app, Google's Gmail app, and third party alternatives like Sparrow, no email client offers the innovative quick-swipe interface of Mailbox.

Mailbox is in closed beta at this time, but the website states that it will be available for iPhone + Gmail after the new year.

Article Link: Developers Behind Orchestra to Release Mailbox, A New Mail Management App
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

One day there will be the perfect solution to email and that will just be IT! Done forever.

Personally I think that is Sparrow, just an opinion of course.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #3
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Gmail only at launch. Ughhh

Looks great though. We'll see how it progresses.
nuckinfutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:12 PM   #4
burnside
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post

Totally agree. Wish it had more than just Gmail. I use Gmail for personal email and have two other accounts for work. Hopefully they'll add IMAP support in the future.
burnside is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Jigga
macrumors regular

What are the chances that it has exchange support?
Jigga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:19 PM   #6
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
Totally agree. Wish it had more than just Gmail. I use Gmail for personal email and have two other accounts for work. Hopefully they'll add IMAP support in the future.
Remember you can always use a gmail account to collect email from another account. Not ideal but would allow you to test this out all the same.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #7
PBF
macrumors 68030

Too lazy to read; will it support iCloud, Gmail, notifications, etc.? Ta.
PBF is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:12 PM   #8
snowcrash
macrumors regular

Eww!!!
Sorry that just looks brutal. Those half/full swipe gestures would drive me nuts. Going to delete instead of read by mistake. Seems like in trying to make mail more streamlined all they did is make it bloated and less intuitive.
snowcrash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
Eww!!!
Sorry that just looks brutal. Those half/full swipe gestures would drive me nuts. Going to delete instead of read by mistake. Seems like in trying to make mail more streamlined all they did is make it bloated and less intuitive.
Agreed. At the least, the swipes for "archive" and "delete" should be in opposite directions.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #10
robotphood
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
Eww!!!

The colored indicators are quite clear when you swipe but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. My first thought from this demo is how intuitive and simple it was. I already use and prefer apps that use gestures like tweetbot, reeder, pocket, sparrow, chrome, etc... It did not take long to gain that muscle memory. A quick swipe is always faster and less tedious than 2-3 taps. If you thought this looks brutal you should see the gestures I have with bettertouchtool on my macbook air
robotphood is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:03 PM   #11
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what we need. Another mail app

Last edited by dejo; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
iRCL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502

Looks interesting. I'd probably check it out except I only use my gmail account for spam.
Karma*Police is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:02 PM   #13
jasheeky
macrumors member

Video shows her using a white iPhone 5, but the phone she puts in her back pocket is an iPhone 4/4S.

Gotcha ! /coolstory
jasheeky is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

All e-mail goes through their servers. Not only does this mean you're putting the trust of your personal communications and/or business communications in the hands of a small company and hope they won't 1) read it, and 2) have insecure servers which could allow other people to read it, but if their service has an outage, you won't get any mail.

Also no Exchange support.

So, no thanks. Design looks nice, and some nice UX ideas there, but going through their servers is a non-starter for me.
petsounds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:48 PM   #15
skellener
macrumors 65816

Looking forward to Mailbox. I miss Sparrow. I have high hopes for Mailbox. I've seen a lot of pretty cool concepts for email - none from Apple. I think most of these other start ups "get it". Let's just hope they don't all get bought up by Google first.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
gurf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasheeky View Post
Video shows her using a white iPhone 5, but the phone she puts in her back pocket is an iPhone 4/4S.

Gotcha ! /coolstory
because if she had put iPhone 5 in her back pocket it would bend.

first post by the way, hello!

ed. sorry for the dig up :c

Last edited by gurf; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: realised the dig up
gurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:32 PM   #17
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

I never find any issues with the built in mail client. Do people really have that many problems with it that they need a 3rd party app for mail?
coolspot18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
I never find any issues with the built in mail client. Do people really have that many problems with it that they need a 3rd party app for mail?
It's not really easy to use. It's horrendous on the iPad actually. Too much clicking here and there to get to a label, when a swipe and a click will do in GMail.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 PM   #19
skellener
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Sparrow rocked! Making it slick and easy and even fun to use. That's the key. Apple's email offerings are so dated. They haven't changed all that much since NeXTMail in the 90's. I think many of these new apps from other developers are really great.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 AM   #20
kugino
macrumors 6502a

not too keen on mail going through their servers, as some have noted...we'll see what this really entails. privacy is, well, not all that private in the end, but going through yet another set of "eyes" is not my cup o' tea.

i still use sparrow. it still rocks. using boxcar for notifications isn't as big a hassle as i originally thought. would love to see google use the sparrow UI for their gmail client...but doubt that'll happen. mailbox does look interesting...but i'm guessing it'll be $9.99...and i don't think i'll pay that much just to try it out.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:52 AM   #21
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

In my opinion, I think this is not a simple to use app. Why? Because the girl in the video uses 2 hands to navigate the app throughout the whole video! LOL!

Of course, I'm just kidding about the "not simple to use" comment.

Last edited by SPEEDwithJJ; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
SPEEDwithJJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #22
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
Sparrow rocked! Making it slick and easy and even fun to use. That's the key. Apple's email offerings are so dated. They haven't changed all that much since NeXTMail in the 90's. I think many of these new apps from other developers are really great.
Maybe that explains things... My favourite email client was Eudora (before it became bloated). Mac Mail to me is pretty good
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:04 PM   #23
Rocketman
macrumors 603

There's a lot of new email browsers/clients all of a sudden. What features besides GUI do they offer over the supreme examples of Eudora or Thunderbird? Where's my Eudora iOS?

And while we're at it, where's my Newswatcher to browse groups and blogs? That so rocked.

The old days WERE BETTER!

Just Rocketman
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:21 AM   #24
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

There is no way I want a mail app that uses their servers.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:52 AM   #25
theodorton
macrumors newbie

Use of white iPhone in ad?

I didn't think Apple "allowed" you to use white iPhones in commercial / demo videos.
theodorton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion