Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Next iPad Mini to Have Retina Display?

While critics loved the iPad mini, the biggest complaint concerned the device's screen, which does not have a Retina resolution like Apple's larger iPad.

Retina seems like a logical update for Apple's second generation iPad mini, and a report from Digitimes today says that Apple is indeed planning to increase the resolution of its next iPad mini.
Quote:
Apple's next-generation iPad mini will focus mostly on enhancing the device's display resolution, according to Taiwan-based backlighting industry sources.

The sources have yet to specify whether the device will use Apple's Retina Display technology to enhanced resolution, but market observers said it is highly likely based on the development of past Apple products such as the iPhone and 9.7-inch iPad series.
Adding a Retina display to a device as thin as the iPad mini could be a tricky prospect, possibly requiring a large battery and a more robust processor, as it did when Apple introduced the Retina display to the full-sized iPad. This restriction has led notable technology site AnandTech to predict that the next iPad mini won't come with a Retina display, as stated in the site's iPad mini review.

Digitimes adds that the next generation 9.7-inch iPad will be lighter due to new LED light bar technology that will incorporate just one light bar instead of the two that are currently in the third and fourth generation iPads. While Digitimes has had a mixed record in the past, it's clear that they do have sources in Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: Next iPad Mini to Have Retina Display?
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
saud0488
Banned

A lack of one still hasn't bothered me. If anything it's better w/o one since it doesn't drain a gigantic battery which would take an eternity to charge. A la iPad 3/4
saud0488 is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
TheSpeaker
Banned

You're kidding. no...really!? When did MacRumors hire Captain Obvious as a source?
TheSpeaker is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
jouster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpeaker View Post
You're kidding. no...really!? When did MacRumors hire Captain Obvious as a source?
Why is this obvious?
jouster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
TheSpeaker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post
Why is this obvious?
This is why.

"You might as well say that the next iPad mini will have a faster processor or a bigger battery or will run iOS 7. No. Kidding."
TheSpeaker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpeaker View Post
Right after Mr. MOTO said he needed an assistant to get all the work done.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
irDigital0l

Even though its DigitTimes...

How could the iPad mini not have a retina display? Its literally the only it needs to become an amazing device.
irDigital0l is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I think we all know the next iPad Mini will have a Retina display..
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Why are these rumors coming out now already? Way to put a damper on those holiday sales.
macs4nw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
newdeal
macrumors 68000

One light bar? What about igzo?
newdeal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:19 PM   #11
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Why are these rumors coming out now already? Way to put a damper on those holiday sales.
It's a rumors site, deal with it.
PrayForDeath is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 PM   #12
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
They make money off of rumors, not holiday sales. Besides, this is a drop in the bucket in the long run for Apple.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:39 AM   #13
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Launched by Samsung and M$

Still shaking my head.

Imagine that, a Retina display for the iPad mini.
What will they think of next!

Apple never seizes to amaze. Wow.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #14
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
It won't make a difference. Probably about 1% of potential buyers read these sites or even know that they exist.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:52 AM   #15
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
These rumors have been going for ages

And 99% of shoppers don't read the blogs anyway
charlituna is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:43 AM   #16
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a rumor. Rather I'd call it common sense....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:57 PM   #17
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
My wife would much prefer an ipad mini under the tree next week than a rumor of an ipad mini retina coming who knows when. Not sure how you even wrap a rumor.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18
iLLUMI
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Exactly! I agree totally! What would be the point of releasing another iPad mini, 6 to 9 months down the track, if it doesnt have any new features.
A lot of people want Retina. Retina should simply be the standard across all devices. If there is a higher standard out there then people are going to want that standard. Why should they/we settle from sub standard!

So if/when Apple release the first Apple TV is it going to be a CRT screen?? LOL
Or CFL back lit LCD?? lol
Or even worse, will it be black and white TV with a colour version planned for the third gen?? Heheheh.

I'm happy to part with my money to buy an iPad Mini, even though I don't really need one. But I wont buy one when I know Apple can give it better specks.
iLLUMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:07 AM   #19
mabhatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLUMI View Post
Exactly! I agree totally! What would be the point of releasing another iPad mini, 6 to 9 months down the track, if it doesnt have any new features.
A lot of people want Retina. Retina should simply be the standard across all devices. If there is a higher standard out there then people are going to want that standard. Why should they/we settle from sub standard!

So if/when Apple release the first Apple TV is it going to be a CRT screen?? LOL
Or CFL back lit LCD?? lol
Or even worse, will it be black and white TV with a colour version planned for the third gen?? Heheheh.

I'm happy to part with my money to buy an iPad Mini, even though I don't really need one. But I wont buy one when I know Apple can give it better specks.
I'd agree with that last line. Given what apple did to iPad 1 owners I'm not too keen to jump just yet. I have iPad 2 so mini is just smaller and iPad "4" isn't going away. Of course iPad 1 IS really underpowered like an iPhone 4 with bigger screen and apps that want twice the processing. Given that idiots complain when iPad 2 photo apps don't TAKE iPhone 5 quality pics in just about every photo taking app for iPad 2, I can see why Apple dropped iPad 1 just to stop whining.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:08 PM   #20
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Unfortunately you got some fanboys on this forum saying the ipad mini is fine without retina and that there is no need for it.

I just wish apple would hurry with retina ipad mini already.
nia820 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM   #21
dkersten
macrumors 6502a

It almost seems as a given at this point. Although having owned an iPad Mini for a few days, the screen doesn't bother at all. I cranked up the brightness and the screen looks quite fine to me, granted not anything to write home about
dkersten is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 PM   #22
pk7
macrumors 6502

I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.
pk7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:02 AM   #23
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk7 View Post
I'm all for a Retina mini but wouldn't that considerably cannibalize sales of the 9.7" iPad? It's one of it's major selling points.
I don't think so ... I'll stick with a 9.7" tablet because I need a larger screen than a 7".
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Honestly, the Mini is going to be their best iPad.

When you compare the two, you have a 7.9" screen vs a 9.7" and when you put real estate to real estate, the iPad mini is MUCH smaller YET almost gives you just as much viewing.

After comparing the two together, I wouldn't buy an iPad now...i'd buy the Mini when it comes with Retina.

Honestly, Apple should increase the size of the iPad something bigger since it's becoming the home tablet for most (or business)...maybe 11" screen.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The tablet market is in a huge growth mode. While yes it will cannibalize some sales, it doesn't matter. This is about convincing people that they need a tablet and a better screen on the mini will help. Also as part of the gradual march of progress, at some point you will think it normal to have a "home" tablet and a portable tablet. So folks having both a iPad mini and a full sized iPad is going to be not unheard of.
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion