Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5 Launches in 33 New Countries Including China

In line with its announcement from earlier this month, Apple today launched the iPhone 5 in 33 new countries, with the most prominent member of the group being China.

Unlike the chaos that reigned at the iPhone 4S launch earlier this year, The Wall Street Journal reports that the iPhone 5 appears to have been quite subdued. It is unclear, however, how much of the change may be due to lack of interest and how much may have been related to snowy weather and changes in Apple's sales policies designed to reduce scalping and other factors that have led to problems at previous launches.
Quote:
Friday's iPhone 5 launch was notable for a different kind of white: a rare accumulation of fresh snow that blanketed the nearly empty plaza outside the Sanlitun store.

At 8 am on Friday, when the store opened to hurrahs from employees, only two consumers stood inside a cordon set up by Apple, though they were joined by a desultory snow man someone had made on a bench near the entrance.
Apple's new sales policies require customers to enter a lottery for the right to purchase an iPhone in the store, with winners being given specific windows of time in which to pick up their devices.

Fortune has also collected a handful of videos showing launches in China, Malaysia, and the Philippines that were part of today's major rollout in the following countries: Albania, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Ecuador, Grenada, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Jordan, Kuwait, Macedonia, Malaysia, Moldova, Montenegro, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Launches in 33 New Countries Including China
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

More Launching!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

in other news

iPhone 5s coming soon!
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Ah so this is why AAPL stock is down 4% today. I figure when they announce they've sold 50M iPhones in the quarter the stock will probably drop 10%
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Ah so this is why AAPL stock is down 4% today. I figure when they announce they've sold 50M iPhones in the quarter the stock will probably drop 10%

nope, there is an analyst report out saying that apple just cut orders with suppliers and to expect a crappy Q1 next year. and the fact that i'm seeing the iphone 5 being discounted in the US is not helping things.

he cut earnings estimates by 20% or so
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
BeardedOrc
macrumors member

iPhone, to a LOT of people, has been a fashion trend. As such, as all fashion trends must, iPhone trend shall too end.

Not really, LOL, its just less trendy now...
BeardedOrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
nope, there is an analyst report out saying that apple just cut orders with suppliers and to expect a crappy Q1 next year. and the fact that i'm seeing the iphone 5 being discounted in the US is not helping things.

Who's discounting it besides Walmart maybe Best Buy? Come back to me when AT&T, Verizon and the Apple Store start doing it. Maybe then I'll be worried. As far as what some Analyst says, I don't doubt that's what's driving the stock down but I don't trust most of them as far as I can throw them. Unfortunately these days the media could report that Tim Cook arrived late to work and the stock would drop $10. Apple the company and AAPL the stock don't really seem to have much to do with each other. Hopefully Cook & Co. Have their eye on the company and not the stock.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
It is anecdotal, but so is the other side of the coin too. If long-lines greeted the introduction of the iPhone 5 in China this morning, people all over this board would be spewing how great the launch was, how high their stock must be worth, and how "all the haters" were wrong.
Of course. But I'm using the iPad mini as a reference. All the anecdotal evidence we have is it's selling really well (NPD just claimed Apple increased the number of displays needed to 12M). Yet on launch day there weren't long lines of people outside most Apple stores. Perhaps that's not the best way to gauge sales anymore.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:18 PM   #8
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post

He's crazy. That has never happened before.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosSilva View Post
Here in Brazil, in my city São Paulo a queue formed with many people during the day to launch the iPhone 5. According to the operator TIM, 1500 units were sold within hours. Unfortunately the price is not attractive here, from R $ 2,400.00 and U.S. $ 1,200.00 ... VERY EXPENSIVE.
It warms my heart to know that people are lining up to give Apple $1200 for something that costs around $200 to produce. Go Apple!
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:28 PM   #9
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Just what I was thinking!

"Apple's new sales policies require customers to enter a lottery for the right to purchase an iPhone in the store, with winners being given specific windows of time in which to pick up their devices."

A LOTTERY... to BUY an iPhone! Apple's really in danger here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
No. Apple is a hardware company. The hardware is what separates Macs from Windows machines.

People like Apple hardware because it is so easy to use.
Are you being sarcastic or something? The SOFTWARE is the main thing that separates Macs from Windows machines. There's no "Windows hardware".
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
The SOFTWARE is the main thing that separates Macs from Windows machines. There's no "Windows hardware".
Tell you what. Go use some crappy $400 Dell for a while and then try a MacBook Pro. Get back to me with your conclusions.

Apple is a hardware company.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11
iGrip
Banned

One Trick Pony?

This is very, very bad news. The iPhone accounts for a huge chunk of Apple's profits. If not for the iPhone, Apple would not be the same company. It would not be a huge corporate name brand as it currently is.

And now it looks like there may be significantly less demand for the newest iPhone in China?

The stock is currently down more than 3%.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #12
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
This is very, very bad news. The iPhone accounts for a huge chunk of Apple's profits. If not for the iPhone, Apple would not be the same company. It would not be a huge corporate name brand as it currently is.

And now it looks like there may be significantly less demand for the newest iPhone in China?

The stock is currently down more than 3%.
What are you basing this on? Sales figures beat out antidotal evidence of people standing outside a store. Especially in China where they have a reservation system. But I'm not surprised FUD is driving the stock down.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #13
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What are you basing this on? Sales figures beat out antidotal evidence of people standing outside a store. Especially in China where they have a reservation system. But I'm not surprised FUD is driving the stock down.
The iPhone will sell well in China, but more and more people are opting for the Galaxy/Android phone. The iPhone needs a refresh, it's facing stiff competition.
coolspot18 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
The iPhone will sell well in China, but more and more people are opting for the Galaxy/Android phone. The iPhone needs a refresh, it's facing stiff competition.
And you're basing this on?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Wow, two people? That's a stark contrast to past launches. Even considering some snow, a lottery system and anti-scalping policies that is strange. Perhaps this is a turning point for the iPhone. Not that Android products are super exciting either.
We heard the same stories about no lines the day the iPad mini came out. Heck I was able to walk right into an Apple store and get one no problem. Now NPD is claiming Apple is asking for 12 million displays for this quarter. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...e-retina-ipad/

I don't think lines outside a store are indicative of anything these days.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple's new sales policies require customers to enter a lottery for the right to purchase an iPhone in the store, with winners being given specific windows of time in which to pick up their devices.
No gadget could be so important to me that I'd go through that sort of hassle ...
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:44 AM   #16
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And you're basing this on?[COLOR="#808080"]
The fact that the Samsung S3 and the Galaxy Note 3 have all had spectacular launches. 30 million+ Galaxy S3s have been sold, that is not a number to be trifled with.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 AM   #17
iGrip
Banned

Quote:
You raise reasonable points. I am struck by the contrast with the past experience, however. Time will tell.

If Apple breaks out iPhone sales in China during any interviews or conference calls or presentations, then all is well. If Apple says nothing about iPhone sales in Asia, then the market may feel a need to factor in the uncertainty.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Merlin9
macrumors newbie

Even my Samsung Nexus S looks better than the Iphone 5 in black. The Iphone 4/4s was special because of the elegant design. The Iphone 5 is nothing special. Not the design, not the display. And even the software is not so special anymore...

I am not an Android "fanboy" btw. I own a Mac and will own an Ipad Mini in a few days...
Merlin9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #19
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin9 View Post
Even my Samsung Nexus S looks better than the Iphone 5 in black. The Iphone 4/4s was special because of the elegant design. The Iphone 5 is nothing special. Not the design, not the display. And even the software is not so special anymore...

I am not an Android "fanboy" btw. I own a Mac and will own an Ipad Mini in a few days...
Lol you got to be serious..glossy nexus s vs s machined down aluminum iphone in slate, which looks alot better then the Nexus s you could of said another phone
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:01 AM   #20
Merlin9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Lol you got to be serious..glossy nexus s vs s machined down aluminum iphone in slate, which looks alot better then the Nexus s you could of said another phone
But the form factor is better and considering many people use a skin anyway the form factor is important too. The black Iphone 5 is one of the ugliest phones out there imo (at least the front, the backs is pretty good) . I like the white Iphone thought but it's a little too shiny for me. If the HTC One or the Nokia Lumia 920 were Iphones and the Iphone a Nokia everybody in here would praise them and bash the Iphone...
Merlin9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:13 PM   #21
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
It is anecdotal, but so is the other side of the coin too. If long-lines greeted the introduction of the iPhone 5 in China this morning, people all over this board would be spewing how great the launch was, how high their stock must be worth, and how "all the haters" were wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I really do hope this iPhone/iPad thing blows over and fizzles. I wont Apple to go back to making computers for professionals. Yes cut out all the consumer orients "glossy" screens and put all thos engineers back to work on Mac OS X and the suite of props, like Logic and Aperture. So what if they have a 2% market share, you can choose to be in this 2% club if you like.

Eventually this WILL happen.
I don't see this happening. If it wasn't for the iPod and iPhone, there likely wouldn't be an iPad around today, because there likely wouldn't have been an Apple around today. Apple could not have survived purely based on its desktop/laptop business.

Last edited by kas23; Dec 14, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
kas23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:11 PM   #22
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Whoever bases actual sales figure with lines in front of Apple Store in China is delusional. Apple doesn't allow this line at the first place. People need to go to Apple's website and enter their information for a lucky draw otherwise they can't walk in an buy an iPhone!

----------

Okay, here is the actual sales figure of the opening weekend:

Apple has announced that opening weekend sales of the iPhone 5 have topped two million units in China.

Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China, said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/16/china-...ntelligence%29
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:54 AM   #23
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
This is very, very bad news. The iPhone accounts for a huge chunk of Apple's profits. If not for the iPhone, Apple would not be the same company.....
I really do hope this iPhone/iPad thing blows over and fizzles. I wont Apple to go back to making computers for professionals. Yes cut out all the consumer orients "glossy" screens and put all thos engineers back to work on Mac OS X and the suite of props, like Logic and Aperture. So what if they have a 2% market share, you can choose to be in this 2% club if you like.

Eventually this WILL happen.
ChrisA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #24
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Wow, two people? That's a stark contrast to past launches. Even considering some snow, a lottery system and anti-scalping policies that is strange. Perhaps this is a turning point for the iPhone. Not that Android products are super exciting either.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:03 AM   #25
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Dude it's like the wee hours in the morning and you can only see red-shirted apple employees and a few people walking by. I don't think the store was even open for the day when the photo was taken.

----------

Quote:
Apple's gross margin pales in comparison to that of Microsoft. If Apple were a software company, that would be bad. Therefore, apple is a hardware company, which explains why their gross margin is lower than that of Microsoft.
If Apple were a hardware company, that would be bad. I mean stuff like iPads and Macs have great design, but Samsung can make those too. OSX, iOS, and thei entire ecosystem is what's really making people want Apple products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfmanuel View Post
Here in Costa Rica I saw some people in line, but not too much as last year. I think people is borred of the same OS without changes. Other thing is that during the year many people has bough Galaxys S3 and I dont think they will change it.
What kind of changes did you want to see?
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion