Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doogle11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
I have an older drive formatted as FAT32, I used to use it for data storage/transfer between Mac OS X and Windows a few years ago. Now I'm trying to recover data from it.

It was formatted with two partitions, A and B. Partitions B was corrupted when I was trying to dismount it from OS X, but somehow the dismount progress never finished, it just froze for many hours so I ended up turning off everything. Ever since, partition B never was able to mounted again, while partition A still functions properly.

In Disk Utility, I do not see partition B listed, so I'm not able to try repairing it throuh Disk Utility. Disk Utility sees partition A on the hard drive, and describes the remainding storage space to be "free space".

I've been reading other threads for suggestion. Does this sound like something I should try TestDisk, to rebuild the partition table? Or should I be trying Disk Warrior to recover the files? Do any of these tools do something irreversible to the disk that I should avoid?

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
I have an older drive formatted as FAT32, I used to use it for data storage/transfer between Mac OS X and Windows a few years ago. Now I'm trying to recover data from it.

It was formatted with two partitions, A and B. Partitions B was corrupted when I was trying to dismount it from OS X, but somehow the dismount progress never finished, it just froze for many hours so I ended up turning off everything. Ever since, partition B never was able to mounted again, while partition A still functions properly.

In Disk Utility, I do not see partition B listed, so I'm not able to try repairing it throuh Disk Utility. Disk Utility sees partition A on the hard drive, and describes the remainding storage space to be "free space".

I've been reading other threads for suggestion. Does this sound like something I should try TestDisk, to rebuild the partition table? Or should I be trying Disk Warrior to recover the files? Do any of these tools do something irreversible to the disk that I should avoid?

have you tried using windows pc to check hdd

doogle11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
have you tried using windows pc to check hdd

I tried to connect the drive to windows xp. Again partition A is able to mount, while B fails to mount.

Similar to Disk Utility on OS X, Disk Management in windows xp calls the remaining space on the hard drive, where partition B used to be, "unallocated".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.