Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

snapchat-150x150.png
Snapchat today released an update adding video taking capabilities to its popular real-time picture taking app.

With Snapchat, users can take temporary photos and share them with friends. The photos expire after a set amount of time, up to 10 seconds, and are auto-deleted. Taking a screenshot alerts the picture sender, keeping photos private.

With the new 4.0.0 version of the app, video has been included. Up to 10 seconds of video can be recorded, with the same general rules. A video can only be watched once, and then it will be deleted.

Along with video, the update adds iPhone 5 support, speed improvements, and additional privacy settings.
-Updated for iPhone 5
-Press and Hold Camera Button for VIDEO!
-Tilt iDevice for Landscape Captions
-Fullscreen Preview
-New Settings: Control Who Can Send You Snaps
-Improved Group Send
-Integration with Address Book
-Fixed Focal Length on Camera Preview
-Faster Capture and Send
-Additional Bug Fixes & Improvements
Snapchat has become a hit in the year since its release, with more than 50 million photos shared every day. In comparison, Instagram users share five million photos a day.

Just last week, Snapchat closed a round of funding, raising more than $8 million, according to TechCrunch, setting its valuation at approximately $50 million.

Snapchat is a free download on the App Store for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Photo Sharing App Snapchat Adds Video, iPhone 5 Support

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe my head is just stuck in a gutter, but I can't think of any clean reason you would want to send someone a picture that will disappear moments after you send it...

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Maybe my head is just stuck in a gutter, but I can't think of any clean reason you would want to send someone a picture that will disappear moments after you send it...

You’re not wrong. I mean, just take a look at what I’m doing with this Shetland Pony in the photo below...

Oh, it’s gone. :eek:

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
You’re not wrong. I mean, just take a look at what I’m doing with this Shetland Pony in the photo below...

Oh, it’s gone. :eek:

I should have gotten a screen grab of it while it was there! It's not every day you see someone doing that to a Pony!

waterbug

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Does NOT keep them private

"Taking a screenshot alerts the picture sender, keeping photos private."

No, it most certainly does not keep the photos private.

It only alerts the sender that the photos are no longer private.

It's like saying a security camera prevents break-ins.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
What an exciting update! I love the developer's dedication to making sharing naked pictures and videos as easy as possible!

flydude.nick

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I'm in high school and this is not a sexing app. It's easy to laugh and say it is because it seems like it would be. It's more fun to snap than text.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So, from what I understand, if the receiver takes a screenshot of a picture, the sender will be alerted but the receiver will still be able to keep the screenshot.

Then he can lie about having deleted the screenshot while backing it up somewhere else and we're back to the same problem with sexting.

What exact problem does that app solve?

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
it doesn't really solve anything i guess.

but it's still a pretty spiffy app.

for what it's worth, it can be tough to take a screenshot, especially if the picture is sent for 3 seconds or less.

with that being said, there is no way to take a digital picture, send it to someone, and be sure it isn't saved.

for instance, a second camera could take a picture of the phone the snapchat was sent to.

also, if you jailbreak your phone, there are ways to remap the function of your keys such that you could say change the volume down button to screencapping. the snapchat app (as far as i know) simply checks for the home button top button combination press, and since that isn't being done, the sender is never be notified. i know this was true a few weeks ago. not sure if snap chat has "fixed" this or not. might not be possible with apple's highly restrictive methods.

there are probably other tricks as well.

sempersig

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Snapchat for a good time

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses of balls yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming britches.
Send me your sick, your twisted, your indecent pictures yearning to be seen.
And tits. Lots of tits.

Send them all to:
elcharizogrande
sprayberry1855
Keylan1855
vatocrazy
el.superduke69
thnkyouverycoool
Sempersig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.