Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanfanel1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
I have an appletv3 with the HDMI connected to a TV and the optical connected to a 5.1 receiver. I have my dolby digital setting set to "auto" When I play a movie with a 2channel AAC track and a secondary 5.1 AC3 track it automatically defaults to the 2 channel. If I set it to "on" it uses the AC3 track and goes to my receiver. Is this the correct behavior for the "auto" setting? I thought it would detect the optical and default to 5.1

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I have an appletv3 with the HDMI connected to a TV and the optical connected to a 5.1 receiver. I have my dolby digital setting set to "auto" When I play a movie with a 2channel AAC track and a secondary 5.1 AC3 track it automatically defaults to the 2 channel. If I set it to "on" it uses the AC3 track and goes to my receiver. Is this the correct behavior for the "auto" setting? I thought it would detect the optical and default to 5.1
Normal behavior.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Okay thanks. How does the "auto" setting work or what would the condition be where the "auto" setting would switch to DD?
Ya, know...that's a good question! It may only be functional with downloaded stuff from iTunes. I really don't have a good answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.