Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
Let me preface by saying this is my first post on MacRumors, and this is my first Mac. I have been a long time lurker, but just registered now to share my experience and join the party. (I am not a troll, lol)

I was one of the lucky ones, preordered Nov 30th morning, got a dec-24 to 31 ship date, called Apple to add expedited shipping (willing to pay) but the rep added it at no charge! I received my iMac on Dec 12th!

I was so excited when I opened it, I threw a bunch of files and programs on it to get to work. My wife does portrait photo work on the side and had a small back log so I wanted to put the iMac to the test with LR4. After about a half hour I noticed the backlight leaking thru the black bezel! Depending on the angle, it will disappear, straight on, and slightly looking down on it it will not be visible, but from the sides you can totally tell.

I wanted to call/go to Apple before posting this up to give them a chance at making it right first. I scheduled the first available genius bar appt I could which was fri dec 14 (yesterday) at the Bayshore Apple store in Milwaukee Wi. They confirmed the issue and wanted to give me a replacement, but all they had was the loaded i7 680 fusion unit and I didn't want to pay for the upgrade, mine is a base with 1TB fusion. The manager at the store said my only option would be to call Apple to send out a replacement and left notes on my units serial#. So I called Apple while sitting in front of the Apple store in case something were to change, they directed me to Kevin who was a team leader or something and wasn't happy how the store handled the situation and left very few detail on the issue. I went to the store to deal with a person directly, not to sit on the phone for 45 minutes to ship in my unit and receive a new one. Furthermore I installed software and files on the iMac so thats a hassle too. The store and I finally agreed to order a new display for my unit with an ETA of up to 3 weeks, and do a while-you-wait fix so I wouldn't be out of a primary work machine.

What would you have done?

IMG_3803_zps3240896a.jpg

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
should i continue with having the local Apple Store (Bayshore Milwaukee) install a new display on my brand new machine or just have Apple send me a new one?

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
here is another pic, this time with the "About This Mac" in the background to show its a late-2012 with the issue.

IMG_3806_zps28f16743.jpg

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
should i continue with having the local Apple Store (Bayshore Milwaukee) install a new display on my brand new machine or just have Apple send me a new one?

I think if the store has a qualified person doing the work, why not get the display replaced. But I also see the other side and may be tempted to get a whole new machine. Considering you already started loading s/w and files, try the new screen repair first. If any more issues arise, then Apple has you on file for repair and will likely replace it with haste.

Anyone else?

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I would let them swap the screen if you are happy with the machine otherwise....

Especially since the supply of new 27" iMacs is not top notch yet

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Not a chance would i have some Mac tech guy open up a brand new Imac and replace the screen...think about it...this will be there first new Imac 2012 repair...you really want yours to be the test machine? You payed good money! Have them reorder you a new one,then when it comes in,tell them you will give this one back.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Not a chance would i have some Mac tech guy open up a brand new Imac and replace the screen...think about it...this will be there first new Imac 2012 repair...you really want yours to be the test machine? You payed good money! Have them reorder you a new one,then when it comes in,tell them you will give this one back.

I vote New. You ordered a new machine, do you really want it ripped open right away?. This isn't a tiny nick on the back, or a speck of black paint on the chin as we have seen in other threads. It is to bad that the store manager didn't just offer you a discounted price on the high end model to make it easier on you.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
@tom vilsack
Good point!

Ask for a replacement with option to return defective Mac once new one arrives.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
This should be a no brainer. Order a replacement immediately to pick up the old on delivery. Same thing they do for faulty iPhones/iPads. Send you a new one and pick up old. If it takes a month then so be it.

No shop repair will ever be as good as factory sealed.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
This should be a no brainer. Order a replacement immediately to pick up the old on delivery. Same thing they do for faulty iPhones/iPads. Send you a new one and pick up old. If it takes a month then so be it.

No shop repair will ever be as good as factory sealed.

Would ups pick it up?

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
Well I just was on the phone with Apple for 1hr 21minutes to get a replacement. The only options they would offer was a to a) send mine back first then they would send a replacement while it was in transit or b) to place a hold on my credit card to buy another until they receive mine. Both options to me were unacceptable. I wouldn't go without a computer for an unknown amount of time, and I sure as heck wouldn't take full financial responsibility for the computer while it was in-transit back to Apple. I had to jump thru hoops just to get them to c) send a replacement to a local Apple store to do an exchange.

In all, I have spent a few hours talking to about 12 different Apple employees, 3 of them supervisors and a 1 store manager, just to make this right. It sucks because it is a defective product from them. I couldn't even get a freebie out of them for the inconvenience. I guess I am supposed to be getting a call on monday from a customer relations expert at Apple. I won't hold my breath though. I was super nice to all the Apple employees, except the last guy, I kind of unloaded on him, but I know its not his fault my display is jacked.

ottawaP5

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Well I just was on the phone with Apple for 1hr 21minutes to get a replacement. The only options they would offer was a to a) send mine back first then they would send a replacement while it was in transit or b) to place a hold on my credit card to buy another until they receive mine. Both options to me were unacceptable. I wouldn't go without a computer for an unknown amount of time, and I sure as heck wouldn't take full financial responsibility for the computer while it was in-transit back to Apple. I had to jump thru hoops just to get them to c) send a replacement to a local Apple store to do an exchange.

In all, I have spent a few hours talking to about 12 different Apple employees, 3 of them supervisors and a 1 store manager, just to make this right. It sucks because it is a defective product from them. I couldn't even get a freebie out of them for the inconvenience. I guess I am supposed to be getting a call on monday from a customer relations expert at Apple. I won't hold my breath though. I was super nice to all the Apple employees, except the last guy, I kind of unloaded on him, but I know its not his fault my display is jacked.

I vote by them giving you a new one as well for the price we paid for these!

Could you hold off a month or two until supplies outweigh demand and then get a replacement quickly?

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
Option B is a somewhat normal and reasonable practice.
While it is a standard practice, I wasn't comfortable going into the holiday season with an additional $2000 (hold) on my credit card. In the off chance that there was an issue in shipping, I didn't want to have to make those calls! Lord knows it was difficult enough just getting a replacement computer.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Take it back or order a replacement. What's the big deal about a $2,000 hold? It's not like your paying for it.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
RETURN IT and GET A REFUND!

Once you have the money credited back to your account, go ahead and re-order the computer with a fresh invoice. Don't take a chance where Apple might send you a refurbished replacement. You purchased a new computer (and an expensive one too!), so don't settle for less.

NO REPAIRS!!!!!

Do not have the "local store" replace the screen. This new generation has had published issues with the screen assembly and is one of the primary reasons it is back-ordered. It is a new design and the last thing you want is the in-store tech to do a screen replacement on a new computer he may not be thoroughly familiar with. You yourself don't want your brand-new computer opened either, do you?

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
I have a replacement being sent to my local Apple store for exchange. I plan to do a full inspection in the store before leaving with it. I have a case# but I understand it will take a little while for the replacement.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I have a replacement being sent to my local Apple store for exchange. I plan to do a full inspection in the store before leaving with it. I have a case# but I understand it will take a little while for the replacement.

First imac I got had fan noises issue. But no problems with screen. I got a replacement yesterday it has very bad light bleed issues I'm really upset. Good luck with your replacement

sr20det

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Milwaukee
UPDATE

RECEIVED my replacement! The local Store Manager really sympathized with me and was able to order in a replacement and do a simple exchange! I picked it up today, looked it over very well before signing and everything is perfect. Actually the light-bleed from the edges/corners looks better on this one than the last.

Also, I used TimeMachine to restore from backup via TimeCapsule (wirelessly) and it worked perfectly! I did physically backup critical data JUST in-case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.