Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbtd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I'm about to purchase a iPhone 5 in the US and I would like to give my iPhone 4 to a friend in the UK. Can a US spec iPhone be used in the UK with a UK card? Thanks in advance.

mushie1uk

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
sending an at&t 3G iphone to UK

I recently upgraded to the 5 and my sister begged for me to send home my old 3G to the UK.. I figured it'd be easy enough to switch out sims and voila!... wrong :( She took the phone to the shop and was told the only way to have it running would be to continue on the AT&T network which would cost a fortune (and im not paying it).. and he mentioned even if he unlocked the phone it might still not work as its older and couldn't do updates :confused: She was so excited about getting the phone and I'm really bummed she cant use it.. I believe her network is just a pay as you go.. I just dont understand as the phone is no longer on a contract.. Any suggestions before she mails it back to me where it'll belong to my kids as an itouch (which they'll be excited about) !

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I recently upgraded to the 5 and my sister begged for me to send home my old 3G to the UK.. I figured it'd be easy enough to switch out sims and voila!... wrong :( She took the phone to the shop and was told the only way to have it running would be to continue on the AT&T network which would cost a fortune (and im not paying it).. and he mentioned even if he unlocked the phone it might still not work as its older and couldn't do updates :confused: She was so excited about getting the phone and I'm really bummed she cant use it.. I believe her network is just a pay as you go.. I just dont understand as the phone is no longer on a contract.. Any suggestions before she mails it back to me where it'll belong to my kids as an itouch (which they'll be excited about) !

You can call AT&T and request that they unlock the phone, now that it is no longer on contract.
http://www.imore.com/unlock-your-out-contact-att-iphone-new-online-request-form

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.