Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Cpnyc88
macrumors member

External hard drive question

might be a dumb question but I have 250GB on my macbook pro and its pretty much all used up. I want to transfer everything to an external that way the laptop runs smoother but I still want to have access to it whenever I need. Does that make sense? what can i do
Cpnyc88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Buy an external HD, plug it in, transfer files, carry it with you?

I'm not sure what the question is....
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Cpnyc88
macrumors member

me neither lol. my music alone is 70gb. I just want to free up some space not sure what else I can do. Would it be a smart move to just replace the hard drive? I have a Mid 2009 13" macbook pro. 2.53ghz Core 2 duo 4GB ram
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Upgrading the internal HDD would be more convenient in the long run as compared to lugging an external drive with you...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
jwm2
macrumors regular

Do you need to carry 70gb of music with you on your laptop? I have no music on my MacBook, iMac or ipad. I do however have music on my iPhone. I use music when on the go not when sitting at my desk or on the couch. Also can you free up space elsewhere? I just can't fathom needing a full 250gb of data while on the go. Just take with you what you need and throw everything else on an external hdd and keep that in your laptop bag for when its needed. I try to keep my pcs as light as possible. I find things from years ago I don't need all the time. That stuff gets moved to an external hdd or deleted. I'm sure you can free up a good amount of space by getting rid of things you don't really need. If not then upgrade your internal drive as mentioned above.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

Unless you are using up over 90% of the space on your hard drive. There won't be much of a performance benefit by moving the files.

A larger and faster internal would make more sense. Say a 7,200 RPM drive. If you really want to maximize performance get an SSD for your main drive for OS and apps. Then replace your optical drive with a bay adapter and a large mechanical drive for file storage. That way you have the convenience of carrying everything with you and maximum performance.

With a bay adapter be sure to get the appropriate one for your Macbook model. Older ones need an IDE to SATA newer ones use SATA to SATA. Don't fall for the high priced Optibay. You can get cheap ones on eBay that are just as good.
velocityg4 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:31 AM   #7
davedev100
macrumors newbie

Suggest New Internal Hard Drive

I just upgraded my Macbook Pro hard drive going from 300 gb to 1 tb. Always go for the biggest you can afford. Get a portable kit with the new drive. Then when you upgrade you can put the new drive in the portable kit, clone your interal old drive and then swap the drives, old in the portable enclosure, new cloned drive in your laptop. Then you have a backup of the old just drive just in case and ultimately can erase the old drive and use it as a portable.

I'd also suggest getting an external drive for running Time Machine.
davedev100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
SteppingStone
macrumors member

I've heard good things from users of hybrid SSDs -- you get a lot of the SSD performance, but at lower cost/MB, e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...rds=hybrid+ssd
SteppingStone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Cpnyc88
macrumors member

Not sure how I feel about hybrid. Now I'm contemplating whether or not I wanna go through the measure of replacing my optical drive. I think I might stick with one SSD to replace my HDD. 512GB is a little expensive though and my 256 isn't enough with CS5, Logic, and my music taking up over 100GB
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a

If you don't want to mess around with your optical drive why not just buy a larger 7200 hard drive (and a USB hard drive enclosure) and do this:

1: Put your new hard drive in the external USB enclosure and connect to your PC.
2: Use a disk cloner (such as Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your drive to the external.
3: remove your original drive and replace with the one you just put in the external enclosure.
4: Boot up and your mac should work as it always did, just with more space.

I've done this loads of times without any issues at all.

An SSD would be nice, but you are going to have to pay a considerable amount for one larger than the drive you already have. If you dont want to remove your optical drive or use an external this may be your only real option.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice