Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

X-Plane Settings, comparing like for like

I was hoping to start an X-Plane thread specifically for mac users to post the settings they use. But not just any settings because the frame rate is affected by so many variable that often are not taken into accoutn like the particular view out the window.

So I wanted to be able to agree on certain standards, for example flying around the grand canyon. So we are all on the same page. Full view with no cockpit.

So then we will be able to compare like for like in a meaningful way. So Imac 3.4GHz users with a 6960m can get a proper comparison with say a 5780 desktop or a 6750m, that actually has some meaning. Especially with regards to screen res.

Especially interested in seeing a like for like with the new iMacs and the 680mx compared to a 6970.

Does this sound like something worth doing? It does to me because it's never been done properly before and everyone wants to know that they are getting the best they can.

EDIT: 29TH DEC Some files and settings.

OK here's mine. 2011 iMac 3.4GHz Radeon 2GB Vram 6970m 32GB RAM full

I've not used HDR because I cannot see any difference and the hit that it give the FR is ridiculous like down to 7FPS for example.

Download 'Situations' for Chambery (Alps) Grand Canyon and Katoomba

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9kandkot6...situations.zip

In X-Plane go to File>Load Situations to load up the Sit file. To get to sit files in order to upload your own to this thread they can be found in the X-Plane folder > Output > situation

All screenshots and situations have the exact same renderings as per the images below.

X-Plane 10.20 beta 9

CESSNA 172. Please everyone use the Cessna 172 as the standard.

The first few views are after taking off from Chambery Airport to get there go to Location>Select Global Airport> then dial in "LFLB" into the airport field.

For Grand Canyon you can enter "1G4" into the Airport field.

Actually HDR with FXAA is not too bad. Taking the clouds from 51% above down to 10% adds about 7fps

The grand canyon image below unlike the ones above has HDR and FXAA ON plus the clouds down to 10% as per rendering screen shot.

Last edited by inscrewtable; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Yep!
Sounds a good real life comparison test to me!

I have to wait until the weekend before I'm able to fly.

We are talking about X-Plane 10?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:33 PM   #3
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Yep!
Sounds a good real life comparison test to me!

I have to wait until the weekend before I'm able to fly.

We are talking about X-Plane 10?
Yeah X-Plane 10 makes sense. Especially now that it is nearing a final 64bit version.

There was a good plug in that had the frame rate only but it seems to have stopped working in the 64 bit beta but the standard included one in x-plane can still be turned on, instructions for this is in the manual.

Probably good to use the standard Cessna with a view looking out the front with no cockpit. It would be good for people to upload a situation if they want so another user can test their settings in an identical situation. I'll load up a few standard situations with maybe The Alps, The Grand Canyon and perhaps The Blue Mountains (in Australia).

The whole POINT of this thread is an exact like for like comparison. Rather then people posting frustratingly large frame rates without mentioning some vital clue and other people then wonder what they are doing wrong.

Good idea to post a screenshot of the setting to go with it.

I'd like to keep all other discussions out of this thread and just keep it only as a place where settings and situations can be compared in identical situations. But hey, I'm not a thread nazi, really post whatever you think is useful as long as it has enough information for a like for like comparison.

These situations could also include anything that anyone wants to compare, like for example how REX clouds affect frame rate (when they bring out an xplane 10 version for mac)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
I can submit results with a GTX 480.
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Good!

I will be doing my tests with:

Mac Pro '08
8 x 2.8 GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon 5870
OS X 10.8.2

X-Plane 64 bits 10.20 beta 8 (i.e. latest version available)

Keep in mind that no Custom Scenery should be loaded.
OTOH, what about testing the same Custom Scenery..?
Next to frame-rate, maybe a screenshot of Activity Monitor to show RAM consumption might be useful too?

Last edited by MacsRgr8; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
212rikanmofo
macrumors 6502a

10.20b9 is out as of now. I've noticed much slower framerates vs 10.20b7, but I read the developer's site on how they changed the rendering settings. I've yet still manage to get it back to how it was. Sigh. Hopefully I can figure out it out. Anyways I'm playing on my 2010 MacBook Pro 2.93ghz c2d. Framerates for me are anywhere from 4to50fps. It jumps around a lot. I love this game so much that I don't care. It's beautiful, especially night time! Amazing.

Hopefully I'll be getting the new iMac 27" to play it on once I can save up some money. But sorry for getting off track. I'd love to hear about the type of frame rates that the rest of you are getting.
212rikanmofo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
I can submit results with a GTX 480.
That would be great to check an earlier desktop gpu against a 6970 mobile I have added some files in the first post, but feel free to post anything as long as you can include ALL relevant information. Note that the cloud setting is important so it's good to have screen shots for both clouds and rendering settings as per original post.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games