Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I have been trying to import Raw files into iPhoto 09' from a Sony Nex F3 camera and the format is not recognized (FYI, I am running Mountain Lion). Do I need to upgrade to iPhoto 11' because this is a relatively new camera and 09' didn't get recent Raw updates or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
It looks like this is a known issue, here's Apple's support info on the subject:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3438

This issue occurs only if the camera's USB connection mode is set to PTP. To see all your images, including RAW photos and MP4 videos, you need to change the USB connection mode setting to Mass Storage. Refer to your camera's documentation to learn how to change the USB connection mode. Another solution is to use a card reader, rather than connecting the camera to your computer.

iPhoto isn't really made for processing RAW files, it's more of an organization tool than a full-fledged editor; personally, I'd upgrade to Aperture or Lightroom if you're using RAW heavily. That said, I think iPhoto will do some rudimentary raw file processing. My understanding is that '11 has some improved support over '09. Here's a link to RAW processing in iPhoto '11. Hope this helps!

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2417

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks a lot for the reply. I think the known issue relates to a predecessor camera to the one I have. I tried what was suggested and it sill doesn't recognize the RAW files. That said, I agree with you that it probably makes sense to use Aperture or Lightroom if I am going to be doing a lot of RAW processing. At the moment I am only getting my feet wet with it, so I wanted to try it out with iPhoto, but it looks like I'll need to upgrade. Thanks for the link!

I know the Aperture vs. Lightroom debate is an age old battle, but if I upgrade from iPhoto, is Aperture generally much easier to use than Lightroom? It seems more people are using Lightroom than Aperture, but I'm just a beginning hobbyist, so I suspect one will be just as good as the other for me and since I don't have much experience, I doubt I am going to have any particular work flow preferences at the start.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I know the Aperture vs. Lightroom debate is an age old battle, but if I upgrade from iPhoto, is Aperture generally much easier to use than Lightroom? .

There is a 30 day free trial of both Aperture and Lightroom, so try both and see what works for you, there is a learning curve involved with both apps, they do basically the same job just with different ways of presenting it to the end user, good luck ;)

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
There is a 30 day free trial of both Aperture and Lightroom, so try both and see what works for you, there is a learning curve involved with both apps, they do basically the same job just with different ways of presenting it to the end user, good luck ;)

Thanks. I downloaded a trial of Lightroom. Does Apple still offer an Aperture trial?

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you're heavily invested in iPhoto, try out Aperture first. The new versions share unified libraries. I use Lightroom and I would definitely say that Apple has the upper hand with regards to photo organization. Lightroom's 'collections' are functional, but kludgy as all get-out. That said, try both and see which one works better for you.

Here's a good review of the big raw processing/editing software out there.

http://www.twin-pixels.com/raw-processors-review-aperture-bibble-capture-one-dxo-lightroom/

you'll notice that LR and Aperture are pretty close in terms of RAW processing quality, so (for me, at least) it really comes down to which product is easier for you to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.