Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austinphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I'd like to finally replace my 2008 tower with the new Mac Mini. However, I have 2, NEC Pro Monitors PA271W-BK. The resolution on those are 2560 x 1440 .

They have thunderbolt adapters so I could run one monitor into the thunderbolt hub with no problem. However, I assume, even with a DVI adapter, my second monitor would only be 1920X1200.

Is this correct that I really couldn't run both monitors at full resolution? Or is there a work around that I'm unaware of? It's a shame they didn't put 2 thunderbolt ports in that.

I've done a bit of poking around here and yet to find a concise answer. Thanks so much!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'd like to finally replace my 2008 tower with the new Mac Mini. However, I have 2, NEC Pro Monitors PA271W-BK. The resolution on those are 2560 x 1440 .

They have thunderbolt adapters so I could run one monitor into the thunderbolt hub with no problem. However, I assume, even with a DVI adapter, my second monitor would only be 1920X1200.

Is this correct that I really couldn't run both monitors at full resolution? Or is there a work around that I'm unaware of? It's a shame they didn't put 2 thunderbolt ports in that.

I've done a bit of poking around here and yet to find a concise answer. Thanks so much!
Yes, as far as I know the second monitor would have to run at 1920x1200 max.... but...

HDMI 1 - 1.2 supports up to 1920x1200
HDMI 1.3 supports up to 2560×1600
HDMI 1.4 supports up to 4K resolution

So the question is what version is the HDMI port on the Mini. It might be HDMI 1.2, but I have not seen confirmation one way or the other. If it's 1.3, then, in theory, you could use an HDMI (male) to DVI (female) adaptor and run the second monitor at full resolution. IN THEORY. :)

austinphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Yes, as far as I know the second monitor would have to run at 1920x1200 max.... but...

HDMI 1 - 1.2 supports up to 1920x1200
HDMI 1.3 supports up to 2560×1600
HDMI 1.4 supports up to 4K resolution

So the question is what version is the HDMI port on the Mini. It might be HDMI 1.2, but I have not seen confirmation one way or the other. If it's 1.3, then, in theory, you could use an HDMI (male) to DVI (female) adaptor and run the second monitor at full resolution. IN THEORY. :)

Checking around, it looks like the MAc Mini has HDMI 1.4 so I guess in theory it would work. Wonder if there is a way to test this at the apple store with one of their monitors.

braddman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
In order to run over 1920x1080 you'll need HDMI-----> DVI D Dual Link which supports over that resolution. I can't rememeber if the included adapter is Dual link but I think it is, so you'd need a dual link cable which has added pins.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Checking around, it looks like the MAc Mini has HDMI 1.4 so I guess in theory it would work. Wonder if there is a way to test this at the apple store with one of their monitors.

I know some people on here complained about HDMI quality over the HD 4000. It's also important to note that not everything works flawlessly. You could probably check with NEC on cables. You should be able to run a mini displayport to displayport cable rather than an adapter + cable. Keep in mind that Apple's thunderbolt cables will not work with the NECs. I agree with you on the lack of two thunderbolt ports. I think the mini is using the same chip as the macbook pro. The Air chip might only support one, but if it's using the normal chip, it shouldn't be a problem. They may not have wanted to adjust the design. If you look at the cMBP, they didn't shuffle ports around or add a second thunderbolt port. They just left it as it was and stuck in new chips.

austinphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
In order to run over 1920x1080 you'll need HDMI-----> DVI D Dual Link which supports over that resolution. I can't rememeber if the included adapter is Dual link but I think it is, so you'd need a dual link cable which has added pins.

Thanks, I just sent my Apple business rep an email asking to clarify the adapter and situation. I will post when I hear back from him.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

* over 1920x1200

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
here is a screen shot of my 1920 by 1200 screen with hdmi to dvi adapter in a 2012 mini

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 6.45.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-17 at 6.45.25 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 217

Nycpolostud

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I am trying to run the exact same setup with dual 27" NECs. Thanks!

austinphotog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I am trying to run the exact same setup with dual 27" NECs. Thanks!

No answer yet. I will try to connect with my business contact again.

I have a retina display laptop so I guess I could purchase an adapter and see if it works on that. That would give us a clear answer.

----------

here is a screen shot of my 1920 by 1200 screen with hdmi to dvi adapter in a 2012 mini

Thanks, we know it works with a screen 1920X1200 but unsure if you can upconvert it to the width of the NEC.

My guess is that it will not work. But still working on getting a clear answer from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.