Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Reportedly in Talks for Data-Sharing Deal with Foursquare

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple is in early discussions with popular location-based app Foursquare for a data-sharing deal. Apple SVP Eddy Cue is reportedly involved with the negotiations as he tries to improve a Maps app that has failed to live up to Apple's expectations.
Quote:
Apple Inc.*is in early discussions to integrate local data from Foursquare Labs Inc. into its mapping application, according to people familiar with the talks, as the company continues to build an arsenal of local data to try to take on*Google Inc.
Foursquare's data includes local businesses like restaurants, bars and more and even allows users to leave tips about businesses for future visitors. The Wall Street Journal notes that Apple may be able to use that data in its Maps app as well.

This news comes days after Google announced its Maps app for iOS, which was downloaded more than 10 million times in the first 48 hours. These are just preliminary talks however, if the report is to be believed. There's no guarantee what kind of data Foursquare will share with Apple, if the deal is ever finalized.

Recently, Cue has been posting Foursquare check-ins on his Twitter account.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly in Talks for Data-Sharing Deal with Foursquare
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

It'd be nice to have this integration non-the-less.
unplugme71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
It'd be nice to have this integration non-the-less.
As long as I have the choice to not send any data to them. I'm not a foursquare user for a reason.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragje View Post
My point exactly. Rome wasn't build in one day, it would be wise, i.m.h.o. for Apple to start fresh and build something that really works and release it when it's mind-blowing better working then most of it's rivals.
If apple waited for it to be perfect it would never be released. Data constantly changes etc

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Why, are all of the streets wrong?
There is an interstate extension that was completed in 2012; Google maps shows it. My 3 year old GPS maps does not (of course). Ergo, Google maps is hardly "outdated."
For you no. But you are not everyone and everywhere. Some of us have been dealing with bad and never corrected info from Google for years.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #4
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Public Service Announcement:

Just upgraded my Navigon to version 2.3 and it now offers iCloud/Foursquare/Glympse support.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5
dragje
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If apple waited for it to be perfect it would never be released. Data constantly changes etc..
There is difference between a bridge on the map and a bridge leading cars straight over the cliff.
dragje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
As long as I have the choice to not send any data to them. I'm not a foursquare user for a reason.

----------

If apple waited for it to be perfect it would never be released. Data constantly changes etc

----------

For you no. But you are not everyone and everywhere. Some of us have been dealing with bad and never corrected info from Google for years.
Agreed. Sad that any gov agency can confirm your location at a given time by locating your cell phone geo-history.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:16 PM   #7
CShort
macrumors regular

Australia

This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.
CShort is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShort View Post
This is only good for a few countries, in UK foursquare is big. Foursquare is not big in Australia.
It's so easy to become the Mayor of anything in Australia with Foursquare.

At least Apple realise they need to put more effort into mapping and data collection than what they assumed was okay for launch.
The Mayor title is kind of dumb. Businesses should not let employees abuse it so frequent customers can get the title and also discounts, if they choose to give those.
unplugme71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:23 PM   #9
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Whatever helps at this point.
gmanist1000 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Whatever helps at this point.

For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature

Let's hope that this will get better with the next version....
BigHonkingDeal is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:35 PM   #11
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHonkingDeal View Post
For me the last two updates of IOS (5 & 6) have been disappointing in new features.... Beta SIRI & BETA Maps. They jumped the shark when they touted Facebook integrations as a major feature

The whole point of the "jumped the shark" reference is that it's only downhill from that point.
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:24 AM   #12
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

To be fair, iMessage was a pretty massive feature in iOS 5.
HishamAkhtar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 AM   #13
wickoo
macrumors member

Quote:

That's weird. iOS 5 with its iCloud, iMessage and Siri on top of it all, was huge! It also brought significant changes for developers.
wickoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:23 PM   #14
irDigital0l

iOS 7

Foursquare integration!!!

lol
irDigital0l is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:27 PM   #15
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
MisterKeeks is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:32 PM   #16
brock2621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I think Apple already dropped the ball with Apple Maps. Most people have either switched and aren't coming back, or don't need or use Maps enough to have an issue with the current version.
Ehhhhhhh I dunno... it's integrated into Siri as the default app and I must say, it's exuberantly nice to be in the car somewhere and literally just say, "Get me home!" and bam, instant directions back home.

For that reason, I will still be using Apple Maps in addition to Google (basically because I have no choice if I use Siri.... and I use her alot).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:56 PM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
I disagree. I haven't had any problems with Apple Maps, and I suspect that the majority of people agree that they haven't had any problems with it. Just because 10% of people have had problems and have made noise and have been heard doesn't mean "most" people have found it so flawed that they'll never use it again.

I have downloaded Google Maps to my iPhone, but I've used Apple maps twice since and I haven't used Google Maps yet. The next time I visit Boston (in a few weeks,) I'll probably have to break out Google Maps for some transit directions, but other than that, I'll mostly be sticking with Apple Maps.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:07 PM   #18
bkushner
macrumors regular

Quote:
Please don't confuse your opinion with actual facts.
bkushner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:16 PM   #19
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Where do you get your data? 20M have downloaded the app, but there are over 100M iOS 6 users. I have both and use whichever suits the situation (Which essentially means if I have an address I use Apple maps.)

Google Maps is great for searching, but still won't have Siri integration (And doesn't even have their own voice search...) and doesn't have address book integration. It will probably get those in time, but by then Apple will have had more time to improve their data with integration from other services like Foursquare.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:07 AM   #20
juanmanas
macrumors 6502

opps

Quote:
There is no any evidence of that whatsoever
juanmanas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I drove from Ohio to Florida and back with no issues with Apple maps. I've used them several times without issue.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzilla View Post
I'm from the UK. I don't know anyone, or know of anyone who uses foursquare.

It's irrelevant isn't it? What good does it actually do anyone? How would it improve maps exactly?

Can I be the mayor of who the **** cares about foursquare?
Because they have all the POI in their database. Try foursquare you will find everything is in there.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:22 AM   #22
izyreal
macrumors member

Quote:
I am one of the 10 million people that downloaded the new Google maps app and, while I like the new Google maps, I anticipate using it only when Apple maps fails. Apple map's integration with Siri, Safari, and my Address Book are more valuable to me than knowing the precise location of every last Burger King. If I need to find a Burger King, I may end up using Google's map... at least until Apple partners with Foursquare and fixes its business locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezr View Post
Oh i agree with you on the data is not being specific enough. But IOS has been out for 3 months and has 100 million downloads. What will Google Maps have in 3 months? What percentage of the 100 million were iPhones? How many were Wi-Fi only iPads that will never ever be used to get directions using a maps app? How many people would gladly switch to Google Maps from Apple Maps and make it the default maps app if they could? The 10 million is very significant. It may only seem like 10% but it will grow and I think it is a larger percentage of the devices that will actually use a map app......but I wish we had the numbers breakdown. But we don't so we can only speculate.
I suspect a large percentage of the 10 million are like me, we downloaded the Google maps app (and are glad to have it when we need it) but we will continue using Apple maps for most day-to-day navigation.

Overall, iOS users won in this exchange between Apple and Google. We now have the best navigation options of any mobile operating system.
izyreal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:44 AM   #23
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Not true, in my area all the iPhone users (that I know) are using apple maps without any issues at all.

So far I have been all over the country, using apple maps. I think this will be a non issue soon enough.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:33 PM   #24
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iOS 7

Foursquare integration!!!

lol
watch this be a "tentpole feature"

kind of annoying how something like that steals the show.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:34 PM   #25
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

People still use Foursquare?
iMikeT is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion