Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
I was wondering if it is possible for my modern intel mac to see my quadra on a network, assuming that they are connected to a network hub. I have been able to ping each computer, from both computers, but when I go into networks on my mac laptop, I don't see anything. I have started file sharing, and shared a folder on my quadra, but I don't see anything...Any idea where to go from here? Also, after I can see files (if possible) I would like to try and get the quadra connected to the internet. What browser should I get? I am running 7.01 at the moment. I have assigned my quadra an IP address using MacTCP (got it off of an ethertalk 3.5"). I do not have a TCP/IP folder in the control panel because the 3.5" I have was specifically meant for an LC, and I cannot find any installers on the internet, unless I need to upgrade my OS.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not without some third party file sharing service that uses SMB, FTP, or NFS. Modern Macs don't support Apple Talk which is needed to use AFP with classic Mac. The last version of Mac OS X that could connect to classic Mac was Leopard.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
With a minimum of System 7.5.3, you can install AppleShare Client v3.7.4.

This will allow you to connect to AFP over TCP/IP by entering the IP address of the server. Sadly, it seems this only works in combination with OS X up to and including 10.5.8 (going by comments made elsewhere).

It will NOT allow you to share FROM the Quadra to the laptop,

but it will allow you to share FROM the laptop to the Quadra.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
With a minimum of System 7.5.3, you can install AppleShare Client v3.7.4.

This will allow you to connect to AFP over TCP/IP by entering the IP address of the server. Sadly, it seems this only works in combination with OS X up to and including 10.5.8 (going by comments made elsewhere).

It will NOT allow you to share FROM the Quadra to the laptop,

but it will allow you to share FROM the laptop to the Quadra.

I will have to install 10.5.8 on an external hdd because my laptop currently is running 10.6. Another question I have is how do I extract 7.5.3? Whenever I extract all of the files, then try to mount the file(s) by opening the first part, why does it say it cannot open the file because it isn't recognized?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I will have to install 10.5.8 on an external hdd because my laptop currently is running 10.6. Another question I have is how do I extract 7.5.3? Whenever I extract all of the files, then try to mount the file(s) by opening the first part, why does it say it cannot open the file because it isn't recognized?

The multipart smi is a HFS standard CD install. I'm not sure if MacFuse with the HFS Standard plugin will work - I'm assuming you still have that installed from our previous discussions.

I'll check here, but on 10.4.11, you only need to decompress the first disk to a .img file. The rest can remain as .smi.bin files and it still works. Also note that all the files need to be in the same folder.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth

The multipart smi is a HFS standard CD install. I'm not sure if MacFuse with the HFS Standard plugin will work - I'm assuming you still have that installed from our previous discussions.

I'll check here, but on 10.4.11, you only need to decompress the first disk to a .img file. The rest can remain as .smi.bin files and it still works. Also note that all the files need to be in the same folder.

OK, I have the same issue on 10.6.8. Seems the FuseHFS plugin isn't going to recognize a multi-part NDIF image-set.

All is not lost. If you can de-compress ALL the ".bin" files, then copy them to a HFS Standard formatted CD, you should be able to boot from your 7.0.1 Disk Tools floppy, and then (assuming you have a CDROM drive) double-click on the first part, it should mount and then you can install. You will probably need a CDROM driver in System 7.0.1 or Mt Everything or similar to mount the CDROM on the Quadra 950. Note that AppleCDROM extension v5.3.1 works with non-Apple CDROM drives (a throw-back to the Mac-Clone days), otherwise use v5.3.2.

Oddly, Toast 10.0.9 recognizes the multi-part smi as a 45MB Disk Image, but can't do a damned thing with it. It can't create a new image of it, it can't even burn it. :mad:

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
OK, I have the same issue on 10.6.8. Seems the FuseHFS plugin isn't going to recognize a multi-part NDIF image-set.

All is not lost. If you can de-compress ALL the ".bin" files, then copy them to a HFS Standard formatted CD, you should be able to boot from your 7.0.1 Disk Tools floppy, and then (assuming you have a CDROM drive) double-click on the first part, it should mount and then you can install.
I wish I had a CD drive...Is it possible to use a SCSI Drive that uses a Centronix plug w/ an adapter on it? Also, if I have 10.5.8, would it be possible to send the files to the Quadra, and install from there?

At my school, there is an older Imac that I can use if I can find a way to get the files on my Quadra

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I wish I had a CD drive...Is it possible to use a SCSI Drive that uses a Centronix plug w/ an adapter on it? Also, if I have 10.5.8, would it be possible to send the files to the Quadra, and install from there?

Yes. I assume that's an external SCSI drive in a case with two 50 pin centronics connectors? If it is, then yes. But how you get the data ONTO that drive is up to you. What were you thinking of? Or is that what your next question is ?

At my school, there is an older Imac that I can use if I can find a way to get the files on my Quadra

If you still don't have a bootable system on a hard drive in the Quadra, there is a Network install boot floppy that MAY work. MacOS 10.2.x 10.3.x and OS 9 and 8 should work well enough for your "server" - on that iMac you mention, depending on it's age. :(

Get the "Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin" from here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...s/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Yes. I assume that's an external SCSI drive in a case with two 50 pin centronics connectors? If it is, then yes. But how you get the data ONTO that drive is up to you. What were you thinking of? Or is that what your next question is ?

I don't have the drive in my hands at the moment, my dad saw one when he went back to get parts that we missed awhile ago.

If you still don't have a bootable system on a hard drive in the Quadra, there is a Network install boot floppy that MAY work. MacOS 10.2.x 10.3.x and OS 9 and 8 should work well enough for your "server" - on that iMac you mention, depending on it's age. :(

I do have 7.01 on the HDD right now, but I would like to get 7.5.3 on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.