Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:14 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Judge Koh Denies Juror Misconduct Claim in Samsung v. Apple

In a pair of court filings tonight, Judge Lucy Koh published a pair of decisions in Samsung v. Apple. The first filing (via The Verge) denied Samsung's motion for a new trial regarding alleged juror misconduct by jury foreman Velvin Hogan.

Samsung accused Hogan of withholding the fact that he had been involved in a lawsuit with Seagate, a partner of Samsung's. Judge Koh didn't agree, saying in her filing that Samsung's attorneys should have dug up the information.
Quote:
Prior to the verdict, Samsung could have discovered Mr. Hogan's litigation with Seagate, had Samsung acted with reasonable diligence based on information Samsung acquired through voir dire, namely that Mr. Hogan stated during voir dire that he had worked for Seagate.
Judge Koh denied a second motion (via AppleInsider), this one filed by Apple, requesting a U.S. ban on certain Samsung products. The motion was denied because Apple was not harmed by Samsung infringing on the patents.
Quote:
In sum, to the limited extent that Apple has been able to show that any of its harms were caused by Samsung's illegal conduct (in this case, only trade dress dilution), Apple has not established that the equities support an injunction. Accordingly, Apple's motion for a permanent injunction is DENIED.
The decisions amount to more jousting in the ongoing legal drama between Samsung and Apple.

Article Link: Judge Koh Denies Juror Misconduct Claim in Samsung v. Apple
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:26 AM   #2
HMI
macrumors 6502a

And this was predictable when it was last reported.
HMI is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 AM   #3
komodrone
Banned

I'm almost out of popcorn.
komodrone is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:00 AM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

What's next in Samsung's bag-o-tricks?
iMikeT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:11 AM   #5
portishead
Banned

In before knightwrx typical comments about how this is unfair and Apple is a terrible company.
portishead is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Renzatic
macrumors 604

This is unfair and Apple is a terr...oh wait.
Renzatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:25 AM   #7
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
In before knightwrx typical comments about how this is unfair and Apple is a terrible company.
The truth hurts.

And don't twist this into some sort of pro-Samsung statement- it isn't.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:49 AM   #8
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
they plan to reinvent the television. it will be out about 4-6 months after Apple announces their big plans.
M-O is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
they plan to reinvent the television. it will be out about 4-6 months after Apple announces their big plans.
Zing!
Yujenisis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Right after Apple 'reinvents' it?
Intarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
Then you missed the joke. Here's the joke: Samsung copies Apple.
The real joke is that you guys don't realize that Samsung's been reinventing televisions since the 1970s.

Last edited by pacalis; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: ...
pacalis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
The Galaxy S4 and the Note 3.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 AM   #14
BlueParadox
macrumors regular

Seeing double

Last edited by BlueParadox; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
BlueParadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:01 AM   #15
arashb
Banned

"The motion was denied because Apple was not harmed by Samsung infringing on the patents"

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can let someone copy your product, and the trial will establish that it's infringing on patents, but they won't do anything because you can't prove that it's hurting your sales?
arashb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:04 AM   #16
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post
"The motion was denied because Apple was not harmed by Samsung infringing on the patents"

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can let someone copy your product, and the trial will establish that it's infringing on patents, but they won't do anything because you can't prove that it's hurting your sales?
Stupidest thing because that's not what it says. The motion is denied because there is no _irreparable harm_. That is no harm that can't be fixed for example by paying huge sums of money.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:09 AM   #17
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashb View Post

Since that was Apple's assertion - I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
That's like saying RIM had nothing to worry about since they made phones for years before the iPhone came along. Even then, people used the same argument: "why would they do phones when people already make them?"
I never said anything about the marketshare being threatened or shaken up. I merely commented that Samsung has been in the TV market for years. It's not like they are following Apple into the TV market.

Where was any "worry" in my post. Where did I suggest Apple shouldn't enter the market?

Or are you intentionally arguing with straw man tactics?
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
To each their own..
Exactly. Your post questioning why someone would find something funny strikes me as unnecessary and odd. You clearly do not appreciate the joke, but concede humor is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I'm pro-technology. It just so happens that there seems to be a lot of true hate for Samsung (which is not Google) and also Google which is based on b.s.
There are plenty of valid critiques of Google and their partners like Samsung, and I'll agree people here push the B.S critiques more often than they should. Likewise, there are plenty of valid critiques against Apple, and unfortunately much of the ones found in MR headlines forum are offered by anti-Apple trolls.

Last edited by Yujenisis; Dec 18, 2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Broke me some fancy-pants quotes.
Yujenisis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:29 AM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
Exactly. Your post questioning why someone would find something funny strikes me as unnecessary and odd. You clearly do not appreciate the joke, but concede humor is in the eye of the beholder.

There are plenty of valid critiques of Google and their partners like Samsung, and I'll agree people here push the B.S critiques more often than they should. Likewise, there are plenty of valid critiques against Apple, and unfortunately much of the ones found in MR headlines forum are offered by anti-Apple trolls.
For one - I didn't question why someone else would find it funny. I stated that I didn't find it funny.

Second - your use of troll, in my opinion, is hyperbole. A lot of people who are deemed trolls are nothing of the sort.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion