Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zenluiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hi...

Due to battery consumption reasons, I like to turn off whatever functionality I am not using at the moment.

One thing that annoys me is that everytime I want to turn off cellular data and 3G (which is known to be battery hungry) I need to go to these two separate switches.

Then I wonder... Does switching off "Cellular data" also turns off 3G automatically? :confused:

Thanks!

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
Yes it when you turn off cellular in settings it turns off 3G. When I'm not using my iphone I turn off wifi as well.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
For the iPhone 5, yes, because it only has the "Enable LTE" option and the "Cellular data" option. Here, 3G constitutes under cellular data.

For the 4S and older, you can turn off 3G, but still have cellular data, because there's a "Enable 3G" toggle that's lacking in the iPhone 5.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Yes it when you turn off cellular in settings it turns off 3G. When I'm not using my iphone I turn off wifi as well.

That's the opposite of what I have heard. I've heard that even though it doesn't show 3G it is still actually using the 3G network to make calls. It just doesn't have any data. Is there any definite way to test? I guess on an AT&T phone you could make a call next to a speaker with cellular data off and see if there is static. (2G will make speakers around the phone make noises)

Some areas AT&T has been removing the 2G network, or at least reducing it. it wouldn't make sense for the phone to use the older network that the carrier is trying to phase out.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
That's the opposite of what I have heard. I've heard that even though it doesn't show 3G it is still actually using the 3G network to make calls. It just doesn't have any data. Is there any definite way to test? I guess on an AT&T phone you could make a call next to a speaker with cellular data off and see if there is static. (2G will make speakers around the phone make noises)

Some areas AT&T has been removing the 2G network, or at least reducing it. it wouldn't make sense for the phone to use the older network that the carrier is trying to phase out.

I did not add "data" to cellular in my comment because thats what it says in settings.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY

Couldn't you just turn off "cellular" and/or "LTE" and then just try to make and receive a phone call?

Also, doesn't putting the phone into "Airplane Mode" basically do the same thing? That is, turn off all cellular data??

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.
Turning off cellular data does not turn off 3G. It just disables all carrier data usage. You can still use 3G to connect to the network for calls and texts.
Two different things.
You can turn off cellular data and you will still see 3G/4G up on the top left corner.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I did not add "data" to cellular in my comment because thats what it says in settings.

The menu says "cellular" but the option to turn it off or on says "cellular data"
You can still make a call with the option off, so obviously it isn't turning everything off. (Oddly after turning that option off it does say "cellular off" when you are in the general settings menu)

I believe you are still on 3G with that option off, just 3G without data. I can try the speaker trick I mentioned above when I am at home, but I don't think it drops down to 2G.

Couldn't you just turn off "cellular" and/or "LTE" and then just try to make and receive a phone call?

Also, doesn't putting the phone into "Airplane Mode" basically do the same thing? That is, turn off all cellular data??

You can make calls, but there is no indication of whether it is 2G or 3G. Honestly I don't see the difference between the 2 anyway.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Exactly.
Turning off cellular data does not turn off 3G. It just disables all carrier data usage. You can still use 3G to connect to the network for calls and texts.
Two different things.
You can turn off cellular data and you will still see 3G/4G up on the top left corner.

Huh? I have an iPhone 5 and it does not show 3G nor 4G when I switch Cellular Data to OFF. Care to explain further?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Huh? I have an iPhone 5 and it does not show 3G nor 4G when I switch Cellular Data to OFF. Care to explain further?

They must have changed it with iOS 6.0 and higher.
On previous firmware versions when you turned off carrier data the 3G or 4G indicator stayed there.
Now it goes away like you said but your phone is still connected to the 3G network for calls and texts. It just doesn't display the logo up there.

90miles

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
It is still there for me as you can see it

8286215866_2178db4d6f.jpg

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hi...

Due to battery consumption reasons, I like to turn off whatever functionality I am not using at the moment.

One thing that annoys me is that everytime I want to turn off cellular data and 3G (which is known to be battery hungry) I need to go to these two separate switches.

Then I wonder... Does switching off "Cellular data" also turns off 3G automatically? :confused:

Thanks!
Does turn off my phone also turn off my Instagram??? :D

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I'm not certain on the answer, but OP never established their carrier. I know on CDMA carrier Verizon, all voice is over their 2G 1x network, data over 3G and LTE. When you make a call, the phone instantly disables the LTE bit of the radio and removes the 3G symbol. It's possible he's asking, and I'm also curious now, as to whether disabling cellular data on this CDMA model disables the 3G connection.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I know on CDMA carrier Verizon, all voice is over their 2G 1x network,

Actually, 1xRTT is part of the CDMA2000 spec, and therefore considered "3G."

(This is also how Verizon has been able to claim a much large 3G map than AT&T. They basically have been doing with "3G" what AT&T is doing with "4G," only Verizon's played that game for much, much longer.)

The older and way less capable cdmaOne network is considered "2G" and was capable of about 14.4Kbps data speeds, using something very similar to circuit switched data.

With 1x being predominant across Sprint and Verizon, that makes it technically impossible to turn off 3G on a Verizon/Sprint iPhone without completely shutting off the cellular radio.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.