Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
rmwebs
Banned

Poor journalism? Not posting news that reflects Apple in a poor light.

(BEFORE I START: Please dont turn this thread into a Apple vs <competitor> thread)

Ok, hopefully without opening a can of worms, can I ask why MacRumors does this?

Today you've posted an article on the homepage about Samsung dropping the EU injunction request, knowing full well it'll create the usual 50 page thread of arguments from armchair experts.

At the same time, earlier today this happened: http://news.yahoo.com/judge-denies-a...044313478.html

Why did MacRumors not report on it?

It's not like its something that just slipped the net either, this happens all the time, and I know because I myself have submitted them numerous times, and they have never been posted.

It's coming across that you'll only post it if it makes Apples competitor (regardless of who it is) look bad.

To add to this, there's also the Google Maps story from yesterday, which you managed to turn from "Google Maps was installed on 1 in 10 iPhones within the forst 48 hours" into "Though 10 million is a significant number, it still represents just a fraction of iOS users. Only three days after iOS 6 was released on September 21"

The Google Maps and iOS comparison isn't just silly, its downright idiotic. Comparing an entire OS update (Which flags up as a notification on the handset) and an app installation, of which there was zero advertisement for, so your average joe wouldn't have heard about it very quickly.

Lets also not forget that the figures MacRumors quoted for iOS 6 downloads included iPod Touch and iPad. Given that the Google Maps app is iPhone only right now, and that its not something you'd probably want/need on an iPad or iTouch, it's a ridiculous jab at Google.

I'd like to hear what Juli Clover and Eric Slivka have to say about these two issues. It feels, sometimes like the two of these editors are die-hard Apple fans who feel they must twist a story to make it favor Apple, instead of being professional, and fair with their posts.

I'm not the only one who's noticed, what's coming across as pretty poor journalism:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=40
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...8&postcount=44
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...4&postcount=46
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...78&postcount=3
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...06&postcount=7
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...1&postcount=10
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...0&postcount=17
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...6&postcount=31
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...0&postcount=32
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...5&postcount=43
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=60

I could go on, but I dont fancy going through 12 pages.
rmwebs is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

We did cover the rest of the Samsung story late yesterday, although it was posted to the blog.

We typically try to limit our coverage of the patent battles and put some of it on the blog because there's so much of it and it's so tedious.

The point about Google Maps was that yes, it's an impressive number of downloads, but most users are still using Apple Maps at this point. It says something about both the need for Apple to continue to improve its Maps as rapidly as possible and how even a widely publicized app that by all accounts was highly demanded still has only a fraction of the user base.
WildCowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
We did cover the rest of the Samsung story late yesterday, although it was posted to the blog.

We typically try to limit our coverage of the patent battles and put some of it on the blog because there's so much of it and it's so tedious.

The point about Google Maps was that yes, it's an impressive number of downloads, but most users are still using Apple Maps at this point. It says something about both the need for Apple to continue to improve its Maps as rapidly as possible and how even a widely publicized app that by all accounts was highly demanded still has only a fraction of the user base.
This site has goten away from rumors, and turned into an Apple PR site. So why not just take it the full mile and turn it into a true tech site. This is where the front page is headed.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
This site has goten away from rumors, and turned into an Apple PR site.
Really? Should every article on MR end with the words “Apple is our worst enemy!”? Is that what you want!?

Btw, i see a lot of Windows 8 ads on MR. Is that typical for a “Apple PR site”?

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:14 PM   #5
snberk103
macrumors 603

Just to provide an alternative opinion... I've had no issues with the news reporting. Of course, I never read any of the patent stories. I just can't fathom how knowing whether a judge thinks Samsung, Apple, or the Dalai Lama invented something is going to make my life better. If Samsung is paying Apple, or Apple is paying the Dalai Lama - I just use the technology.

And... While I certainly don't want MR to become a PR mouthpiece for Apple, I also like that MR is intended for people who enjoy using Apple products. This isn't Consumer Reports.... this is a site for people who generally like Apple products. In that capacity I find MR works very well. If there is a new product, or an upgrade - it is posted here. I don't know if they are first with the news. But they post it quickly enough to be useful.

And when there are serious issues with an Apple product, I find out about it here in time to avoid the upgrade, or the download, or to unplug the hardware.

Basically.... I have no complaints. MR may not be perfect, but then who is?

Signed

Happy Camper....
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:01 PM   #6
phuocsandiego
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Just to provide an alternative opinion... I've had no issues with the news reporting. Of course, I never read any of the patent stories. I just can't fathom how knowing whether a judge thinks Samsung, Apple, or the Dalai Lama invented something is going to make my life better. If Samsung is paying Apple, or Apple is paying the Dalai Lama - I just use the technology.
Maybe you should care just a little. You're right in the sense that it doesn't matter who pays who but if someone's being paid, guess who's ultimately paying? That's right... you and me as the end users. Any patent licensing is paid for directly by us.

And that's why I care and think that software patents are stupid to begin with without an actual implementation.
phuocsandiego is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Really? Should every article on MR end with the words “Apple is our worst enemy!”? Is that what you want!?

Btw, i see a lot of Windows 8 ads on MR. Is that typical for a “Apple PR site”?
How are you enjoying the Steve Job's yacht story?
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #8
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

When posting news, either the whole story should be given or none at all. Adding spins to the story to somehow show Apple in a good light and other companies in a bad light is why me and the OP are complaining about bad journalism.

Last edited by dalbir4444; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
dalbir4444 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
At the same time, earlier today this happened: http://news.yahoo.com/judge-denies-a...044313478.html

Why did MacRumors not report on it?
Quote:

As WildCowboy mentioned, it was reported on:

Quote:
Judge Koh denied a second motion (via AppleInsider), this one filed by Apple, requesting a U.S. ban on certain Samsung products. The motion was denied because Apple was not harmed by Samsung infringing on the patents.
Judge Koh Denies Juror Misconduct Claim in Samsung v. Apple
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
As WildCowboy mentioned, it was reported on:

Judge Koh Denies Juror Misconduct Claim in Samsung v. Apple
This article should either have been split into two different articles or have a better title to give a more complete picture.
dalbir4444 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:45 PM   #11
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I used to think that this site would shed more insight into news I find elsewhere in the world regarding all things Apple, but now it appears to just be pro-Apple. I don't like this trend, and as a result, one cannot take the "news" aspect of this site seriously.

It used to be that I'd hear about Apple news here FIRST, and now, it's delayed and skewed to favor Apple. It feels as if the editors find the news, and then have a meeting to discuss... "How are we going to spin this pro-Apple, or should we just bury it under another article so nobody finds it?" It comes out late or not at all, and if so, spun to favor Apple. It's not right.

I like this site, and I have friends I enjoy, some who contribute to the site as I do, and others that do not... but this sort of thing is a prime example of why those that DO contribute (financially or otherwise) to this site... sometimes leave and take their money and knowledge with them.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:00 PM   #12
tobefirst
macrumors 68040

I hadn't thought of MR's articles as overly pro-Apple. Of course, I used to read MacDailyNews. If you want to see ridiculously pro-Apple articles, you can find them there.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Carlanga
macrumors 603

blah blah blah patent law here patent law there

I would actually prefer 90% of patent posts to be in the side bar not as front page news. The only exception when sums of $ actually have exchanged hands. All I see now in MR front page 80% of the time are patent news.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:08 PM   #14
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

I see perhaps two out of the 20 most recent front page posts that are dealing with patent/trademark issues. And I think many people would agree that the Android "iPhone" one from Brazil is a rather interesting story.

We actually try fairly hard to keep lawsuit news to a minimum. A fair amount of what we publish does go on the blogs, and there's a heck of a lot of it that we skip entirely.
WildCowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:34 PM   #15
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I see perhaps two out of the 20 most recent front page posts that are dealing with patent/trademark issues. And I think many people would agree that the Android "iPhone" one from Brazil is a rather interesting story.

We actually try fairly hard to keep lawsuit news to a minimum. A fair amount of what we publish does go on the blogs, and there's a heck of a lot of it that we skip entirely.
I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not every story is posted, but they *are* questioning how the stories are posted in respect to a clear pro-Apple bias versus unbiased journalism. That is the issue.

Since it wouldn't appear that any corrections will be made to articles already posted, it remains to be seen if things will change moving forward.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 PM   #16
Sincci
macrumors regular

Let's see what kind of spin we are getting with this latest turn of events:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-with-samsung/
Sincci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:49 PM   #17
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincci View Post
Let's see what kind of spin we are getting with this latest turn of events:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-with-samsung/
How's this?:

USPTO Preliminarily Rejects Apple's 'Pinch-to-Zoom' Patent
dejo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:02 AM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
<snipperty snip>
This is a rumour site. For rumours about Apple's future products. Not a news site.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:43 PM   #19
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
This is a rumour site. For rumours about Apple's future products. Not a news site.
I beg to differ. The tag line even mentions news before rumors.

rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #20
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

I used to read AppleInsider and MacRumors a lot, but AppleInsider became so biased I stopped reading that. MacRumors is becoming the same thing.
AnonMac50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:57 PM   #21
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I beg to differ. The tag line even mentions news before rumors.

The news part and the rumours part is not the issue here. They are working intended. It's the "Mac" and the "you care about" parts that I have issues with.

I do understand that breaking in new writers to fit in with how writing is expected to be done here can take time. Every publication, be it online or print has it's own bias/spin on things. And it can take a while to get in tune with the particular bias/spin the publication/online website you write for does. In that respect, good luck to the new writers here.

Mac - As many others have mentioned Mac rumours/news are a tiny fraction of the total news and rumours here. Read a good cross section of the rumours/news here without knowing the website name and you'd think it was a general tech rumour website and not a Mac one. I think this website's name needs to reflect this.

"you care about" - If people are complaining about the articles here then obviously there is an issue here. Is the issue widespread enough to warrant action being taken on it? That's the question the staff here need to decide. I seriously would change this part of the name to "best on the internet or something" I don't know, you'll think of something good. As I would assume do matter who you talk to, they will have a type of rumour posted on this website they don't care about. Many don't care for the patent rumours. I personally don't care for all the google stuff on the front page.

This website has evolved far beyond simple Mac rumours. And the website name should reflect this.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #22
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

@ the OP:
If you can count, then this is not the first Apple critical article on MacRumors. Your whole argument is non-existent.

Have a nice day!

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 12:19 PM   #23
rmwebs
Banned

Sorry be revisiting this thread again but why is it once again Eric sensationalising, and poorly reporting nothing, as news?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/...reveal-little/

Every time one of these 'non news' articles appears it seems that its always on the homepage, and its always posted by Eric

I dont get it. What's going to be accomplished by putting a non-news item on the homepage like that? All it's done so far is created a 2 page thread on how it was a stupid idea to put it on the homepage.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Sorry be revisiting this thread again but why is it once again Eric sensationalising, and poorly reporting nothing, as news?

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/16/...reveal-little/

Every time one of these 'non news' articles appears it seems that its always on the homepage, and its always posted by Eric

I dont get it. What's going to be accomplished by putting a non-news item on the homepage like that? All it's done so far is created a 2 page thread on how it was a stupid idea to put it on the homepage.
Sensationalizing? I think it's BGR who did the sensationalizing by saying these photos are evidence of a "big internal overhaul". I took a more realistic approach.

The fact is, they're nice, detailed photos and they're getting broad coverage. People are indeed interested in them, so we're sharing them while also noting they don't reveal much. If these photos are from where I think they're from, we previously declined to offer compensation for them...so they're nice, but not that nice.

Some people want to see them. If you don't, feel free to move on to the next article.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #25
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Are you kidding me? In the past 2 yes, no other company has received as much media scrutiny as Apple. And without denying that Apple has deserved such scrutiny, I can name several companies that get away with A LOT worse (to the point it makes Apple look like an angel in comparison) than what Apple has or is doing, without drawing anywhere near the same media attention.
adnbek is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback