Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Firm Launches 'IPHONE' Brand of Android Phones, Touts Trademark Ownership in Brazil

Brazilian electronics maker IGB Electronica SA has announced a new line of Android phones under the IPHONE brand, a trademark that was originally applied for in Brazil in 2000.

From Reuters:
Quote:
The first model will be called "Neo One," IGB said in a securities filing. The company was formed this year after the restructuring of Gradiente Eletronica SA, which had applied for exclusive rights in Brazil to register its products under the name IPHONE in 2000.
Apple will either file a lawsuit, or perhaps more likely, begin negotiations for a settlement deal.

Apple was involved in a similar trademark issue in China, with Proview owning the "iPad" trademark. Apple ended up paying that company $60 million to gain control of the 'iPad' trademark.

Brazil is an important country for Apple. The company has begun hiring for new Apple Stores in the country, which would be its first locations in South America and Apple and Foxconn have begun iPad and iPhone production there.

Finally, Apple CEO Tim Cook has said in the past that Brazil is the company's next big target after China.

Article Link: Firm Launches 'IPHONE' Brand of Android Phones, Touts Trademark Ownership in Brazil
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I wonder how much they're hoping to extract from Apple. I wonder how much Apple is going to be willing to part with to secure the iPhone trademark in Brazil.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Android sure does look dull...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Drag'nGT
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
Ooo! Ooo!
It's got widgets!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Apple

Just contact a corrupt Brazilian Government official and have this deal with the old school way.
nuckinfutz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:52 PM   #6
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post
Ooo! Ooo!
It's got widgets!

Ooh, exciting!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post

Ooh, exciting!
Exactly!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #8
raazman
macrumors member

Quote:
It's as dull as you make it: http://mycolorscreen.com/
raazman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Shows how little you know about Android if you think it looks anything like that as stock
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
That isnt what Android looks like, its a manufacturer skin.

This is how Android looks by default.

Thumb resize.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
That isnt what Android looks like, its a manufacturer skin.

This is how Android looks by default.

Thumb resize.
...Yeah, so? It still looks dull. There's nothing there, a skinny clock and a few icons, wow, really vibrant and exciting! Wasted pixels.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
...Yeah, so? It still looks dull. There's nothing there, a skinny clock and a few icons, wow, really vibrant and exciting! Wasted pixels.
Wait wait wait wait . . . . . you think that looks dull? Over this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ios_scaling_taller_screen.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	384435

Which I might add you can't do much to change other than add a noisy wallpaper that will be covered up by an endless grid of icons.

I am starting to think you just have a bone to pick for some odd reason. It's not like Apple isn't making the most money in the smartphone market. They control the hype, and command a following that the rest only dream of. They may not have the best phone, but it certainly doesn't warrant foundation-less bashing.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Wait wait wait wait . . . . . you think that looks dull? Over this:
Attachment 384435
Which I might add you can't do much to change other than add a noisy wallpaper that will be covered up by an endless grid of icons.

I am starting to think you just have a bone to pick for some odd reason. It's not like Apple isn't making the most money in the smartphone market. They control the hype, and command a following that the rest only dream of. They may not have the best phone, but it certainly doesn't warrant foundation-less bashing.
Yeah, it looks 100x better. There's no wasted pixels, they're being used with something useful.

My opinions are mine only, I don't care if you do/don't like them. I've used an Android device, not for long, but those 10 minutes were enough to make me detest Android, on a so-called "Premium" device.

Just on a side note, how about you show the default layout, instead of a cherry-picked one that doesn't look as awesome as you know it can be. EDIT: Like the post by the smart guy below:

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
And this is "more" exciting?

Ahh, excellent. Yup, that's a perfect example of how much better it is. Look, NO WASTED PIXELS! It's colourful, vibrant, organised!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:

samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:

Why is a homescreen with apps supposed to be "exciting"? The whole damn purpose of a homescreen is to select the app I want as fast as possible. Heck, I rarely see the homescreen because I spend all the time in the app.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:37 PM   #16
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

Random Nexus 4 screen

Random Nexus 7 screen

Random Nexus 10 screen

Android icons scale with screen size, using additional space to provide contextual information.

N.B. One is free to arrange their icons and widgets however they please and not forced to adhere to a draconian grid layout.

-------------------------

iPhone 5 layout - (6 x 4 icons)

iPad 4 layout (6 x 4 icons)

iPad 4 has 660% as much screen space as iPhone 5 and shows exactly the same amount of information.

N.B. There is one uniform grid pattern from which one is not permitted to diverge.

Quote:
Talk to me about those wasted pixels again.
ArchAndroid is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAndroid View Post
Load of nonsense goes here...
The only Android screencap that looks okay is the second Nexus 4 one. The rest... nothing jumps out at all. The weather widget is useful, but I can get it in the Notification Centre in iOS at any point.

Someone said the home screen shouldn't do much anyway because they don't spend much time on it. Well, I suppose that's true. What's the point in all those widgets, now wasting memory and data?

Springboard does what it's meant to do PERFECTLY. Nothing more, nothing less. It's got a search box, icons, and a dock. What more does it need?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #18
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
iOS should be more dull as all you get is a screee(s) with icons.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:57 PM   #19
jon9091
macrumors member

Can you actually make calls on that thing? That green little robot makes it look like a toy.
jon9091 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:25 PM   #20
kerryb
macrumors regular

Quote:
True, it looks like a retread of Window 32.
kerryb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #21
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
I don't think anybody will have problems spotting the difference, just look at the price tag. iPhone expensive as <insert curse here> android dirt cheap.

Nowadays everybody has an android, hell even my mom has one and she only uses it to make calls / send texts and the darn thing still gets so slow that needs a factory reset every 6 months.
How much is an iPhone? How much is a Galaxy III? an HTC One X+, etc.

And every phone I've ever owned has had lock ups or has had to be rebooted. My 4 iPhones included. And also factory reset. And had slow downs.

No tech is failproof.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:40 PM   #22
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How much is an iPhone? How much is a Galaxy III? an HTC One X+, etc.

And every phone I've ever owned has had lock ups or has had to be rebooted. My 4 iPhones included. And also factory reset. And had slow downs.

No tech is failproof.
iPhone 5 locked 680€ the cheapest version. You can get the SIII unlocked for just under 500€. Still almost nobody spends more than 300€ on a phone. Windows Phone are as rare as sun eclipses. iPhones not as much rare but still you don't see one every day. The S3 I've seen a few but not many. Androids specially those cheap 50~100€ phones are *everywhere*.

No tech is fail proof but my moms nokia 6680 sure worked for a lot of years (and still works but the battery is toast) and it was never turned off (unless it ran out of battery) and it never had a software update. Nowadays it's used as an alarm clock but yey it works just fine.

Her android phone that costed about 250€ had 2 firmware upgrades and got bricked once. And still has loads of problems, now try to explain to a non tech that.

Last edited by blackburn; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
blackburn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:45 PM   #23
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
And iOS isn't?! At least you can completely change the appearance of Android to whatever you want, whereas you are lucky to change your background wallpaper on iOS.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #24
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
As opposed to those glorious rows of icon in iOS?
AppleScruff1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:41 PM   #25
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
As opposed to those glorious rows of icon in iOS?
Yes.
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion